VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Any advice on a good home theater system? Nothing too simple, but nothing too elaborate. 5 channel should be fine.

The room is 16.5 x 12 with a 65 inch HDTV. The TV is on one of the 16.5 walls.

Thoughts on wireless speakers? Yes I am a little behind the times with this. I am worried about interference from outside or inside, etc. Are they recommended? I would have to run the wires under the floor otherwise. Do the system come wireless with a wire option just in case?

Thanks!!
    NY_RR.
    Quote Quote  
  2. there is no such thing as wireless speaker - you may have them only when you powering active (with embedded power amplifier) speaker from battery... In other case you are required to provide power supply so you are eliminating only one of wires from setup.
    I would not recommend any wireless solution as it usually also affecting quality of signal...
    Did you ever considered soundbar as multispeaker alternative?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi pandy, thanks for the reply!

I did consider a soundbar, but the reviews I read made them sound like they were good - but not as good as having several speakers. I feel more comfortable going with something else. Two speakers behind the couch and two speakers up front by the TV.

Thanks for the wireless tip!!!

NY_RR.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by Alwyn; 25th May 2023 at 21:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is/can be an audible delay between the front and back speakers using wireless, personally as a retired sound engineer I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial barge pole. Direct wire connection from the amp to the speakers is the way to go and there are always solutions in hiding or routing the wires so they are not seen or a possible trip hazard. If the acoustics are just right, there are some really good soundbars available but the good ones cost a lot, check https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Nakamichi_Shockwafe_Ultra_9.2_vs_Sennheiser_AMB...EG_1572355-REG
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks all. Well maybe I underestimated the sound bar. Would have to listen and compare. Wireless - seems to have pros and cons. I am still leaning toward a traditional system. Nothing too elaborate. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.
    NY-RR.
    Quote Quote  
  7. if you want true life surround sound your best bet is to get 5 women and place them in position . you will have non stop sound and cost nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ha ha. Soundbars still seem to rank a little under a tradition system. But what do I know - that's why I am here. If I am going to spend 1,000 on a sound bar I mihgt as well get a traditional system. Soundbars seem to me to be a simple and affordable solution.

Thanks again.
    NYR.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Soundbars are ok for casual listening - if your goal is really to have cinema in home then dedicated room with classic wire installation for loudspeakers is absolute must...

Cables can be routed in non invasive way - there is many possibilities and also they can be very flat (you can do pretty decent speaker cable from so called ribbon cables or less easy from FFC one.
    They can be hidden under wallpaper, trim bars (floor/wall) etc...
    Quote Quote  
  10. do not ever use wireless (audio connect) speakers when doing home theatre. just music playing. there is lots of delay and even audio compression in some cases
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Given your room size and TV, a 5-channel system from brands like Sonos, Yamaha, or Denon should work well. For a receiver, consider one rated between 75-100 watts per channel like Denon AVR-X1600H or Yamaha RX-V6A.

For speakers, look at sets from Klipsch, Polk, or KEF, such as Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1 or Polk Audio T Series 5 Channel Home Theater Bundle.

Wireless speakers, like the Sonos 5.1 Surround Set, have improved greatly and are a good option if you have a reliable Wi-Fi network. Just remember they still need power outlets. Some systems, like Enclave Audio CineHome, offer both wired and wireless options.
    Quote Quote