VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I record with Geforce Experience and as far as I can tell it will only record in limited range in bt.601.
    Now my final destionation is youtube which will convert the video to bt.701, so I may as well do that myself.

My question is how to do this the proper way? I edit my video in Vegas, keeping project setting to "legacy 8bit(video levels) that I assume is the same as limited, and frameserve it as rbg24 into an Avisynth script.
    So I'm wondering does Vegas change the video from bt.601 at all? How would I find this out?

And in my script I have ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709") and the image compared to the original file is very bright and sort of washed out.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Made some changes. I tried recording with OBS instead, there I can set range to full and rec709 right away.

The Vegas feed is looking better however it is much more difficult to compare videos now.

I use the interleave function in Avisynth to compare frames and after changing to OBS the original recordings appear much darker than when they are played in a video player. Should I use something other than ffmpegsource2 to load the video in the script?
    Quote Quote  
  3. install Voukoder plugin for your Vegas and export directly a youtube video, voukoder has Bt601 to Bt709 conversion besides many other things,
    [Attachment 71233 - Click to enlarge]

you might also google for some color correction preset values for 601 to 709 if not wanting voukoder, google for it, there should be something even on this site
    Last edited by _Al_; 24th May 2023 at 19:08.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I record in bt709 now. But the image after processing in Vegas appears very bright and kind of washed out. I can see it in the preview window in Vegas that it's very bright.

I changed it back to limited as well so the source looks normal again.

Ok, I changed pixel format in Vegas to 8bit full range and now the video looks fine again, even though the source is limited. I don't know why
    Last edited by Amaze; 25th May 2023 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In VP if project properties are set to legacy, best to output at 16-235, (view in histogram). The view, contrast, in VP will appear low contrast, you can temporarily use a levels fx located at the output fx, preview window, to temporarily improve appearance, contrast, (set it to “studio to full”), Dont forget to disable the output levels fx before render so as to render at 16-235. Media players will then display the limited range clip as full range on playback.

The levels fx has presets for studio to full, full to studio etc, or you can use the sliders as required.

You can set the pixel format to full range in project properties (later versions of VP) and avoid most of the above.
    Last edited by JN-; 26th May 2023 at 07:02.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah setting pixel format to full solved it. I think my encode looks pretty close to original now.

However the new version of debugmode frameserver has a pretty hefty pricetag for someone like me that at most makes a handful of clips 2 times a year.
    So I tried voukoder and now the problem is the voukoder encode looks like there is a white filter on top of it but it looks fine in Vegas.
    I tried using the filters mentioned above, I tried changing the colormatrix options in voukoder, but it all looked the same pretty much.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Amaze View Post
    I record in bt709 now. But the image after processing in Vegas appears very bright and kind of washed out. I can see it in the preview window in Vegas that it's very bright.

Ok, I changed pixel format in Vegas to 8bit full range and now the video looks fine again, even though the source is limited. I don't know why
    What are your project settings?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    Originally Posted by Amaze View Post

What are your project settings?

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Were they the same with "8bit video levels"? The change should not cause any change in the image. Which version of Vegas?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Were they the same with "8bit video levels"? The change should not cause any change in the image. Which version of Vegas?
    If I change to legacy 8-bit video levels, the preview window turns overexposed I guess is the proper term? It whitens somewhat.

Using Vegas 20
    Last edited by Amaze; 27th May 2023 at 08:32.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    If you render a video, is the video overexposed? Maybe something wrong only with the preview?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you render a video, is the video overexposed?
    Oh it absolutely is
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    So I do not know. There shouldn't be any changes and I don't have any. Have you installed any plugins?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I do not know. There shouldn't be any changes and I don't have any. Have you installed any plugins?
    I am not quite sure how but I seem to have fixed it. I changed my monitor to full range and now it looks fine in the final render again.
    The weird thing is I have never changed this setting is recent memory, so it's always been on limited(thanks nvidia).
    So I don't know why videos suddenly started looking washed out now. They looked fine until I started messing with a new Vegas version.
    Quote Quote