VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Following Jaksta Media Recorder (JMR) version 7, which had continued the version naming after 4,5,6, suddenly a new format = JMR 2022. New installation required. It worked fine. Then suddenly JMR 2023 was released and worked anything but "fine", it didn't work at all, plus "license number not recognised" but Jaksta licenses are supposed to be lifetime.

Many of us posted on JMR Support but there's been no response, and now the Support forum is not functional. Screenshots attached.

I wonder if anyone has inside info on what has happened to this company?

[Attachment 71212 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 71213 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. i don't trust him i think someone else took over and is running the show, i don't trust the 2023 version either . its shady. i'm looking for a good alternative to jaksta now
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by karen534634337 View Post
    i don't trust him i think someone else took over and is running the show, i don't trust the 2023 version either . its shady. i'm looking for a good alternative to jaksta now
    Please post here if you find one.

I've checked (Applian) Replay, which I believe is identical to Jaksta, and they too are now offering a 2023 version, and I can't find active user input in their Support area, only FAQ/Tutorial type posts.

If Jaksta 2022 stops working, I am in deep, deep trouble
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am an occasional Jaksta user. When I first acquired it, it was good. But on subsequent upgrades - and I have not upgraded since 7 - it became less useful. Many videos could not be downloaded (not their fault but, as you now find out, upgrades can 'kill' your licence). But they are not alone in this practice. 'Lifetime' for them does not mean your life but when they decide to put the old versions out to grass.

Now I use TubeDigger more often. Again, it does not grab all streams but is still more adept for my purpose.

But, if you are merely downloading content, maybe you should consider programs such as YT-dlp. It is command-line but there are several GUIs available.
    Quote Quote  
  5. if he wants people to buy another license be honest and explain , tell people what you want , i would be upset but i would still do it because i still like the program, he doesn't even have release notes on the new version it sure doesn't work on stripchat still
    Quote Quote  
  6. EXISTING LICENSE HOLDERS
    If you have purchased your Jaksta Media Recorder for Windows license key within the past 12 months, installing this file gives you the latest unrestricted version: 2023.5.24.5. If you need to purchase a new license key
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    12 months prior is hardly 'lifetime'

My case rests with this.

As to the non-access with specific sites, these programs will NEVER guarantee access. What I found is that older versions accessed specific sites. Yet there was a time embargo that if you exceeded that, despite what the program told ya, nothing beyond that was recorded. The only alternative was to use a program that recorded the screen rather than the stream. I also noticed that the DVR claims only to work with a browser other than the Chrome built in to that version. Yet that only applies to Win10/11. Users with older OS are effectively discarded. But why ? Surely a program should recognise that not all users feel that they should upgrade. There is enough 'pressure' on typical users to upgrade without software co's doing the same.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by karen534634337 View Post
    EXISTING LICENSE HOLDERS
    If you have purchased your Jaksta Media Recorder for Windows license key within the past 12 months, installing this file gives you the latest unrestricted version: 2023.5.24.5. If you need to purchase a new license key
    Huh! I have 3 licences but all purchased years ago.

BTW, the Support thread is now visible and has links to comment or ask a new question, I haven't tried posting to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even posting to the support thread is not gonna change anything.

Sure you can complain. Maybe, as a long-time user, you can get a discount for a new licence (which, itself, could expire some time down the road).

But, at the end of the day, the s/w co makes the rules. Whether you like them or not. And they often work to the premise that we offer something that other services can not. You wanna the features now offered then pay up !!!!

Sure. It alienates the long-time licensee. But their target is the new acquirer. No money is to be made from the old. Which, itself, strangles development in what is a rapidly changing envoirement.

Maybe a pure subscription model that other companies have adopted would be the answer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Latest news??? Please try and post in correct forum section. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Now I use TubeDigger more often. Again, it does not grab all streams but is still more adept for my purpose.
    Since my JMR 2022 entered yet another "Jaksta Media Recorder has stopped working" phase, I bit the bullet and installed TubeDigger... OMG, what the heck?! etc etc... One URL floods the storage folder with dozens of files, I can't make head nor tail of it - and the only way to stop it is to close down TubeDigger altogether - whereupon it does not delete the files from the folder.

And it displays the whole web page 😲 all I want is the stream downloading in the background and saved to the specified folder.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But, if you are merely downloading content, maybe you should consider programs such as YT-dlp. It is command-line but there are several GUIs available.
    I'm not sure what "merely downloading content" means, but will have a look when I've recovered from this last misadventure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you would have to be more specific and at the very least provide a screen-cap when TubeDigger is running.

But if I do understand you correctly, depending on the source of course, it may automatically record more than one stream - that does happen to me as well - but there is nothing to prevent you from left-clicking on the record and select 'Finish download' and manually delect the unwanted stream from the folder. Not exactly time consuming.

The top of the TubeDigger screen is actually a browser - and there are several to chose from in the settings. So you will see more than the the actual video stream.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Attraction. Reaction. djb247365's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So I just managed to figure this whole thing out, as I've owned two previous licenses. Apparently, they were purchased by another company. And with this change, came changes to the product. Previous license holders that purchased their license longer than 12 months ago, have to purchase a license key upgrade, in order to use the 2023 version. The key for 2022 Jaksta and earlier, will not work with the 2023 version. If you purchased a license in the most recent 12 months or less, then you are automatically entitled to the 2023 version, without purchasing the upgrade key. And for those who purchase the key upgrade, it is no longer a lifetime license key. The new license key only lasts for one year from the purchase date of the key upgrade. So that said, if you continue to use the 2022 version of Jaksta, with the old license key, it will still work 100%. But going forward, anything new, will require a 1-year license and upgrade. Very shocked to see the product change like this.

For what it does, it does work fairly well. But I would hope they plan to work on giving the app a more upgraded and cleaner look, and giving it a quicker startup time and response time as well.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is anyone here successfully (or otherwise!) using the 2023 version from Jaksta or Applian?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Attraction. Reaction. djb247365's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by clemenzina View Post
    Is anyone here successfully (or otherwise!) using the 2023 version from Jaksta or Applian?
    I am using the 2023 version. I went ahead and purchased the new license, since both of the licenses I had for the versions prior to, will not work with the new version. Jaksta was sold to Applian. The 2023 version tends to start up a little slower. That could be the software or it could be because I'm running it on Windows 11, which makes most software run slightly slower than it should. Otherwise, the functionality appears fine. I've had no issues using it. I don't see any major changes to be concerned about, in terms of the features.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well! So the 2023 version is identical to all previous since 7, except it's on rental instead of purchase, and all the poor blighters who bought licences more than a year ago have to fork out or... you know

However, it's nice to be up 'n running again.
    Last edited by clemenzina; 21st Mar 2024 at 15:54.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm running Jaksta Media Recorder 2022 (2022.3.13.0) on Windows 11. Starting DVR->Browser results in

"The type initializer for 'abi' threw an exception."

This was working fine until this last Jaksta update. I've tried reporting this via their new support forum over a month ago but, so far, they've refused to respond

https://help.jaksta.com/support/discussions/topics/24000021567/page/last#post-24000050963

Anyone else run into this problem? I've upgraded to the 2023 version but have am having the same problem.
    Quote Quote