VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Is it possible to hook a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition to my Roku Ultra? I want to record some videos from YouTube.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, it's possible. But you won't be able to record any HDCP protected content -- which includes most commercial streaming services, even the free ones. Regular youtube can be recorded, but no youtube tv. By the way, it's easier and faster to download youtube.com videos -- so there's no need for recording.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, it's possible. But you won't be able to record any HDCP protected content -- which includes most commercial streaming services, even the free ones. Regular youtube can be recorded, but no youtube tv. By the way, it's easier and faster to download youtube.com videos -- so there's no need for recording.
    Can you possibly tell me, how do I hook it all up together? I’m not good at this stuff lol.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed your thread title so more people can help you.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    I changed your thread title so more people can help you.
    Nice! Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by muusicman View Post
    Yes, it's possible. But you won't be able to record any HDCP protected content -- which includes most commercial streaming services, even the free ones. Regular youtube can be recorded, but no youtube tv. By the way, it's easier and faster to download youtube.com videos -- so there's no need for recording.
    Can you possibly tell me, how do I hook it all up together? I’m not good at this stuff lol.
    It's the same as using a game console or any other HDMI video source. See the Connector Diagrams:

https://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hdpvr2-ge.html

[Attachment 71147 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th May 2023 at 15:17.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by muusicman View Post
    It's the same as using a game console or any other HDMI video source. See the Connector Diagrams:

Thanks!!! 😀
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=muusicman;2690701]

OK, so that made it a little easier but still I couldn’t figure out how to get it all connected. I’m using an HDMI splitter as well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Put the HDMI splitter between the Roku and the PVR2.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Just download the videos, There are many ways on how to do so.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Put the HDMI splitter between the Roku and the PVR2.
    Could you possibly make a video and upload it to YouTube so I can see visually or maybe a step by step picture guide? I have a learning disability and it makes it hard to understand if I don’t have visual aids?

Thank you so much!! 😀
    Quote Quote  
  12. with HDMI splitter:

[Attachment 71173 - Click to enlarge]

If your splitter removes HDCP you will be able to record copy protected video too.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    with HDMI splitter:

[Attachment 71173 - Click to enlarge]

If your splitter removes HDCP you will be able to record copy protected video too.
    Could you private message me on here somehow? I thought I sent you one but I’m not sure now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I got your PM and replied in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It can't be any easier than the diagram posted by Jagabo, and you know what's even easier, downloading the videos from Youtube without additional hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I got your PM and replied in this thread.
    I guess I’m just having issues cause of the HDMI switcher being in the mix.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I have an HDMI Switcher going from HDMI 1 of my TV. I Then have 2 things hooked to the switcher output 1 and 2. How does this factor in??

I apologize for being such a tool and hard headed. Im dealing with a learning disability.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    I am truly sorry I’m going on and on about this but I’m just kinda desperate to get all this to work. I found a YouTube video of a guy showing how to hook everything up to work together. He showed a diagram in the video. I screen capped and cropped the diagram like a photo. I’d like to share it here. If this is what you all have been telling me and I’ve been too thick to get it… I truly am sorry. I’m just not all that technical about this stuff. Some stuff I know but a lot I don’t and I do want to learn. I am including the screencap. Let me know if this is what you all mean by your diagrams. Thanks.
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/234834/IMG_5993.jpeg
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an HDMI Switcher going from HDMI 1 of my TV. I Then have 2 things hooked to the switcher output 1 and 2. How does this factor in??

I apologize for being such a tool and hard headed. Im dealing with a learning disability.
    An HDMI switcher won't work. You need an HDMI splitter. They serve different purposes, are connected differently, and use different parts inside of them.

I can't remember ever seeing a single HDMI switcher that supposedly strips HDCP. I have seen some HDMI splitters that are supposed to strip HDCP. However, not all HDMI splitters can strip HDCP. You need to read user reviews to find an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd May 2023 at 16:28.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

An HDMI switcher won't work. You need an HDMI splitter. They serve different purposes, are connected differently, and use different parts inside of them.

I can't remember ever seeing a single HDMI switcher that supposedly strips HDCP. I have seen some HDMI splitters that are supposed to strip HDCP. However, not all HDMI splitters can strip HDCP. You need to read user reviews to find an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP.
    I have a splitter and a switcher. Just trying to get it all to work together. I know it’s possible. Just can’t get it hooked up correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Just think of how the data flows from one device to the next. Like water through pipes.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Just think of how the data flows from one device to the next. Like water through pipes.
    Believe me. I’m trying. I hooked it up the way the diagram shows. But on my computer screen it just shows a black screen.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Just think of how the data flows from one device to the next. Like water through pipes.
    Do you happen to have Twitter, Discord, Reddit? Anything where I can contact you easier and we could do a one on one chat type thing? I know I will be able to get it to work. It’s just a matter of getting it configured correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Do you have power connected to all the devices? The splitter? The HDPVR?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Do you have power connected to all the devices? The splitter? The HDPVR?
    Yep. Everything has been plugged in to power.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Do you have power connected to all the devices? The splitter? The HDPVR?
    I got it!!! Problem is, the quality of the video is not quite as good as I’d like it. When I see it on my TV it is smooth like it’s supposed to be and like it’s always been. The result on my PC is a bit different. I have my capture device settings set to the highest quality. What else could the problem be?
    Quote Quote  
  27. What's wrong with the "quality"? What resolution and frame rate is your source? What resolution and frame rate is your capture?

And again, why don't you just download the video from youtube? It's easier, faster, and you get the exact quality that youtube has. Do you have a link to the youtube video you want?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really, it isn't difficult to download the free video offerings from YouTube. I have downloaded a number of free HD videos from YouTube (using FireDM) and several short UHD videos (with 4KVideo Downloader) so they could be viewed offline.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote