VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a cheap, generic external USB DVD player/writer that I'd like to region hack. I got it here https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PPQXR9N, and the brand is "Charlemain", and the manufacturer "Eusein".

I imagine that that drive itself is put in different enclosures and sold as branded products, but this is the no-name version. Is there any chance I'll be able to find the hack anywhere?

Cheers,
    fort
    Last edited by fort; 14th May 2023 at 16:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you need to even try to hack it ?

It is recc to use vlc as the playback software. That initself ignores region codes so your non-Region2 disks shoud play.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was hoping to dig out some old DVDs I haven't watched in years and plug the player into my TV. If a region hack isn't possible, I'll rip the DVDs with VLC instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The dvd-player requires dvd-playback software. Does your tv actually have that ?

VLC is not a dvd-ripper.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My set-top box (Vu+ UNO 4K SE) does support DVD input. You can rip DVDs with VLC via File > Convert / Stream... though you'll end up with a huge file compared to, say, Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But that's not a 'rip' in the conventional sense. It's a real time re-encode and hardly an efficient was of doing this. No need continue that discussion.

Back to your original Q. I doubt if any hack exists for these.
    Quote Quote