VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a a .m2ts file that is comprised of 2 video tracks (2160p & 1080p)

Is there a way of 'striping out' the unwanted 2160p track or would the file have to be transcoded ?

Either way what software would I use to achieve this

Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. tsMuxer, ffmpeg should both be able to remux the file without having to reencode.
    You could also use mkvtoolnix is you don't mind that the output is an mkv file.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Understand, though, that if that file was SUPPOSED to have 2 streams (e.g. 3D or HDR title with base stream + enhanced stream), you will be removing that feature capability.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well what I actually have is Movie that's in 2160p and my machine cant play it. (resolution is technically higher that the spec of the PLayer)

Was thinking of stripping out the the higer def track but realised Im not getting as far as te movie itsel ans the menus wont load...

Thant makes me think the everyting is 2160p so the question is...

What software do I use to transcode the move to 1080p

(It needs to be easy to use as I have no ide what I'm doing here )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, just saw this for the first time today. What I have is supposedly a full 4k rip, but when I go to the BDMV folder to the Streams and sort by size (assuming the largest will be the movie file) The largest file is only 24 Gigs and it has these two video streams in it (both MediaInfo and TSMuxer show this) one is UHD and one is I believe HEVC also, but in a 1080 resolution.

If this is a rip from a full 4k Blu-ray, how is that possible? Can someone (Selur? ) explain what exactly is going on here? Is this 'Normal' for a UHD 4k Blu-ray? And, how the hell can the file be that small?

Thanks!

***EDIT

WHOA...! Heh, so I remuxed it with TSMuxer and I deselected the UHD video film and let the 1080 file. Uh, the resulting BDMV mux is only 1 Gig! WTF...?!! Can someone please explain what the hell is going on here? Thank you!

***EDIT 2

Oh, okay... I see now that the m2ts files in the full folder somehow must be divided up. The first 24 Gig file where I muxed only the 1080 video file is only about 34 minutes, and the next file likely with the same structure is 29 minutes. They must be doing what some of the Blu-rays did in the past where the movie is divided up into several m2ts files instead of just one.

I GUESS I should probably import it into BDRB and just render the movie only as one file. I should try that...

***EDIT 3

(thank Goodness for the Edit! )

Okay, I used BDRB to basically merge all those disparate files that make up the movie into one 62 Gig file, which still has both HEVC video files in it according to TSMuxer. I tried just loading that into CleverFFmpeg to see if I could convert the UHD to HD and the HDR to SDR as usual, but it threw an error.

So, now I'm trying to use TSMuxer and deselecting the UHD video file and leaving everything else. I GUESS what I am supposed to end up with then would be the full movie in an HEVC 1080 file. I'll see if that plays using VLC which will NOT play the UHD files. If so, then I GUESS I'll somehow try to convert the HEVC file to AVC and a playable Blu-ray, although I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet (don't think BDRB does that, although I'll try it)

I wonder if the HEVC 1080 will still have the HDR encoding, I think it will. So, then I would have to go back to CleverFFmpeg to convert that if it will work.

***EDIT 4

Nope... I ended up with a 2.6 Gig file, that can't be right. So, I guess now I'll try selecting ONLY the UHD video file and muxing that and then maybe I can use CleverFFmpeg to convert to 1080 SDR

***EDIT 5

Okay, that SEEMS to be working, at least CleverFFmpeg now accepted the resulting UHD only video file and is supposedly encoding it to SDR 1080, so we'll see... BUT... I still would LOVE an explanation about what the hell is up with the two video files in one m2ts file, and apparently a very small 1080 file...???
    Last edited by Lathe; 4th Sep 2024 at 03:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FunkyBassman View Post
    I have a a .m2ts file that is comprised of 2 video tracks (2160p & 1080p)
    This is a hunch, but have you checked if you aren't dealing with Dolby Vision video? It would carry a 1080p HEVC enhancement stream as Cornucopia already suggested. This is not a standalone stream one can playback.
    Maybe you can post MediaInfo data of the source?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drop the M2ts file into mkvtoolnix and both versions will appear, you can then easily deselect the 2160 track to try it out. You end up with a MKV file. Maybe post a MediaInfo report (text mode) of the m2ts file.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Originally Posted by FunkyBassman View Post
    I have a a .m2ts file that is comprised of 2 video tracks (2160p & 1080p)
    This is a hunch, but have you checked if you aren't dealing with Dolby Vision video? It would carry a 1080p HEVC enhancement stream as Cornucopia already suggested. This is not a standalone stream one can playback.
    Maybe you can post MediaInfo data of the source?
    Thank you for your reply! Well, I left CleverFFmpeg running and when I checked it this morning it threw an error about 1/3 the way through. Yeah, apparently the 2nd 1080 stream is not stand alone. And yeah, I believe the original full 4k disk was HDR/Dolby encoded, thus why I normally use CleverFFmpeg to convert it. But, in this case I don't know quite what to do...

Here is the MediaInfo of the muxed file without the 1080 stream but with everything else:

General
    ID : 1 (0x1)
    Complete name : E:\TSMUXER\BDMV\STREAM\00000.m2ts
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 64.3 GiB
    Duration : 1 h 30 min
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 102 Mb/s
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.5 Mb/s
    Frame rate : 23.976 FPS

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : HEVC
    Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
    Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
    HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID : 36
    Width : 3 840 pixels
    Height : 2 160 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.2020
    Transfer characteristics : PQ
    Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
    Mastering display color primaries : BT.2020
    Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

Audio #1
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Format : DTS XLL
    Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
    Commercial name : DTS-HD Master Audio
    Muxing mode : Stream extension
    Codec ID : 134
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Channel layout : M
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Compression mode : Lossless

Audio #2
    ID : 4353 (0x1101)

Audio #3
    ID : 4354 (0x1102)

Audio #4
    ID : 4355 (0x1103)
    Format : DTS
    Codec ID : 130
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 255 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 164 MiB (0%)

Text #1
    ID : 4768 (0x12A0)
    Format : PGS
    Codec ID : 144

Text #2
    ID : 4769 (0x12A1)

Text #3
    ID : 4770 (0x12A2)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    I'll see if that plays using VLC which will NOT play the UHD files.
    It will just not without some tweaking & the right decrypter.
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    I'll see if that plays using VLC which will NOT play the UHD files.
    It will just not without some tweaking & the right decrypter.
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176924
    Ah, I'll check that out, thanks! Nice Avatar, BTW...
    Quote Quote  
  11. @Lathe,
    Thanks for the compliment on my avatar.
    It was created about 20 years ago & I've used it on several forums.
    Your avatar is nice also.
    If you do decided to tweak VLC to play blu rays including UHD there are some things to know that are not covered or incorrect in the topic
    Nothing serious.
    when it says to put the folders in %APPDATA%\ it is %APPDATA%\Roaming.At least for me DVDFab Paskey Lite would not decrypt the UHD BluRay I have.So it would not play on that computer.
    The ripped blu ray from the same commercial bluray played fine without Passkey Lite.
    On my older computer I use for most ripping I have the full paid version of Passkey.
    It had no problem with the decryption but It doesn't have a fast enough CPU so the commercial blu ray would pause every few frames & then play a few.
    I also have what is called a UHD friendly blu ray drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    @Lathe,
    Thanks for the compliment on my avatar.
    It was created about 20 years ago & I've used it on several forums.
    Your avatar is nice also.
    If you do decided to tweak VLC to play blu rays including UHD there are some things to know that are not covered or incorrect in the topic
    Nothing serious.
    when it says to put the folders in %APPDATA%\ it is %APPDATA%\Roaming.At least for me DVDFab Paskey Lite would not decrypt the UHD BluRay I have.So it would not play on that computer.
    The ripped blu ray from the same commercial bluray played fine without Passkey Lite.
    On my older computer I use for most ripping I have the full paid version of Passkey.
    It had no problem with the decryption but It doesn't have a fast enough CPU so the commercial blu ray would pause every few frames & then play a few.
    I also have what is called a UHD friendly blu ray drive.
    Thanks for the nice reply Bro!

Well, I guess from Reddit of all places, I actually found a nice free player I think called KM player which plays the UHD file just fine. I won't be trying to play actual 4k discs because I've decided with all the complaints about different players freezing and throwing all kinds of errors (although I realized you only hear about the complaints) I'll just stay with HD, which still looks stunning enough for me on my very reasonable upscaling Google telly But yeah, the KM player plays the UHD files just fine enough for me to preview them before re-encoding.

BTW, I guess that dual HEVC file simply was borked or something. CleverFFmpeg, Handbrake, and BDRB
    all choked on it. So, I'll just try to find another 'normal' single HEVC UHD file...
    Quote Quote