VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The General tab has many options to adjust the subtitle in SE. What is a good test to see how that
    works? At what point does the current Edit get recalculated? I'm specifically concerned with the
    entry for space between subs. I usually want to do all the starts and stops line by line.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They're just sensible defaults, covering minimum and maximums for a variety of criteria.
    Do you have a need to go outside these limits?

The gap between lines can be zero if necessary, obviously they cannot overlap
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	duration.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	70956  

Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Dave,

I think it's more the question of going inside the defaults like space between subs rather than outside. I may want practically no space between for close to overlapping dialog as you say, then wait for the next speech, mark that and so on. I've had success doing that but I want those saves to stay the way I put them. My sub making is line by line and it takes time, so I don't want what I've set as stop and start
    to be recalculated by the General settings. Simply put I think they should be able to be set to zero.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Lon -
    It can be done, I'm not sure exactly what issue you're having, perhaps you can put up some images to show the problem.
    Doesn't my sample image above show zero gap between two lines?
    I don't think there is anythng that pertains to this in the general/settings which is why your issue is not clear
    Quote Quote  
  5. I see the image better now. Sure, that's what I do with each line to adjust both start and end time with arrows .
    My question is, do the settings recalculate that gap as zero rather than the defaults etc in General settings? Honestly I didn't think to look at an example like what you've shown to test it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Assume I want to make subtitle 2 start a fraction earlier. I can adjust the time directly,
    but I can only go as far back as the endtime of subtitle 1.
    Likewise to make subtitle 2 stay on the screen longer by adjusting (indirectly, by changing the duration)
    it's end time , I can only go as far the start time of susbtitle 3 or they overlap.

Any gap or not doesn't seem to be enforced by general line editing, but you can have it check against the settings profile
    when you do "fix common errors"

There is "Min. gap between subtitles in MS" Is this what you were referring to?
    I see that it can be activated in "Fix common errors"/"Fix short gaps", and if possible it will shorten the line timing to provide the specified gap.
    Do you have a requirement to have a minimum gap size?
    Last edited by davexnet; 12th May 2023 at 22:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See update above
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'll see those updated remarks. The important thing to know is to be able to sensibly turn things off or way down to minimum. If, as you say, no recalculations are done in the background that's all I need to know. It seemed as I worked through a VOSK voice to text that I was correcting 400 ms over and over. It's possible that I had something going from Fix Common Errors. I forgot about that and will be very cautious in using it.

My jobs go slowly as I said. I've gotten through a good edit on a project and next is the equivalent of a play run-through looking for errors. In fact, using spell check to find and replace can be awkward in SE as well. Awkward here is to make a single correction and find inadvertently or otherwise that same change is applied to the whole. And you can't simply reverse it-- whatever it is has to be taken in context. I've seen examples of that "out in the wild" that I made hand corrections on for a whole play. But these are not professional releases, just from users like me.
    Quote Quote