+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post

Start with a good player with integrated TBC
    Does the Sony DCR-TRV730E has this by any chance? That's the one I bought from Ebay. It looked like a good camcorder to me because it also has analogue-in and DV-in, which seems to be rare.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here are two files. The source video is a Video8 tape from 1994. One file is from a PAL DV file captured via firewire from my Sony TRV-110E Digital 8 camcorder; the other is from the same camcorder but captured using S-Video and my GV-USB2. Both were processed with VDub 2: deinterlaced Yadif double Frame rate, cropped and resized.

To my eye, there is no noticeable difference and therefore I would suggest sticking with the Firewire workflow for simplicity. I'll add that a DV workflow can utilise Scenalyzer, an amazing program for manipulating DV files which makes life so much easier than working with any of the other video formats.

The only consideration would be that the DV is from a PAL source, with 4:2:0 colour. NTSC DV is only 4:1:1 and so, allegedly, the DV quality will be less, although I have never seen an actual example of this lesser quality.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Alwyn; 14th May 2023 at 23:10. Reason: Source tape info added.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    I would side with Alwyn. Unless you want to tinker, using built-in DV conversion gives you a predictable result in an industry-standard codec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    I would shift chroma one or two pixels up and a couple of pixels to the right.
    I see a degradation doing that (also on the green logo). What am I missing?

https://imgsli.com/MTc4MzQ2

[Attachment 71002 - Click to enlarge]

That red bleeding can be removed with L=-4, but the rest of the image will be badly impacted (my conclusion was that is not a full chroma shift, but just a bleeding). I may be wrong.

Here a small sample of the raw capture, if you wish to experiment:

[Attachment 71003 - Click to enlarge]
    Shifted chroma two lines up. I don't care much about the logo. I guess it may happen when elements added on top of the main picture may not exactly match, in this case I would choose the main picture.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	onegin-3.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	71070  

Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Shifted chroma two lines up. I don't care much about the logo. I guess it may happen when elements added on top of the main picture may not exactly match, in this case I would choose the main picture.
    Strangely there are part of the pictures not affected by chroma shift.

In general, if present, the shift in VHS PAL is distributed across the whole picture. Is is unlikely that there is a shif in the master video before the broadcaster applied the logo, but you never know.

Thanks for sharing your point of view
    Quote Quote