VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How to remove this "shadow" to the right in particular?

Thank you.

JC.avi
    Quote Quote  
  2. From that source, I doubt it.
    Your only bet might be using inpainting, maybe VoodooFXs InpaintDelogo could be misused,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the comment.

This doesn't seem too promising in the ability to clean this video clip.

Is there some suggested parameters for InPaintDeLogo and/or a script to use here?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you know how to download streaming videos free sites like tubitv and plutotv have lots of Johnny Carson in much better quality.

[Attachment 70928 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. The idea would be to create a mask that covers just the black shadow and use inpainting to fill the shadow, but the quality of the rest of the video might be too low to really help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If you know how to download streaming videos free sites like tubitv and plutotv have lots of Johnny Carson in much better quality.
    . .
    Thanks for the comment.

The clip I submitted was just an example of issues I have with other clips, and what might/could be done to correct the issue(s). I'm not specifically after JC clips.

I always search for better (the best) quality clips wherever possible. However, there are a number of clips I have which have "issues", but I haven't been able to find better quality clips elsewhere (so far).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    The idea would be to create a mask that covers just the black shadow and use inpainting to fill the shadow, but the quality of the rest of the video might be too low to really help.
    Thanks. But this seems like a very difficult process with little chance of success in this case(?)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Had a few minutes and did some testing, main problem would be to create the mask, but even with a proper mask the result isn't so good.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I got this with some gamma adjustments and masking. It needs more work but gives some idea what might be done.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks to Selur and jagabo for taking the time to look at this issue further.

However, it is a bit too involved for me to attempt to clean up this clip, at this time. So I'll shelve this clip issue for now and maybe look at it again when I'm a bit more experienced in clearing video clips.
    Quote Quote  
  11. The result wasn't great but for what it's worth, here's what I did in AviSynth:

Code:
    ###############################################################################################
    #
    # An alpha mask based on Y.  Like mt_binarize except has optional range for softer transitions
    #
    ###############################################################################################

function YMask(clip v, int "min", int "max")
    {
        min = default(min, 128)
        max = default(max, min)

Levels(v, min, 1, max, 0, 255, coring=false).GreyScale()
    }

LWLibavVideoSource("JC.avi") 
    ConvertToYV12()
    Crop(116,0,-116,-0)

bright = ColorYUV(gamma_y=500) # a brighter version of the video
    bmask = YMask(30,50).Invert() # a mask of 
    emask = bmask.mt_expand().mt_expand().Blur(1.5) # an extra wide version of bmask
    Overlay(last, Bright, mask=bmask) # overlay the brighter video over the source video, only in the dark areas
    Overlay(last, BinomialBlur(10).KNLMeansCL(d=3, a=3, h=4), mask=emask) # blur the area around the previously dark areas to soften the edges
    Quote Quote  
  12. Noted, thank you!
    Quote Quote