VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

i have 2 questions:

1. Demuxing VOB:

I can demux subtitles from mkv files using ffmpeg. I was trying to find a guide how to rip subtitles from VOB files (especially since movie is split into multiple .vob files), but found nothing. Is there a simple way to do this?

2. Muxing mkv:

I mux subtitles to some of the musicals into mkv files. however, sometimes subtitles have special characters (for instance musical note when someone sings) and after muxing, mkv shows these special characters as gibberish (letters,numbers). I was googling but also found nothing.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. For 1.
    Give clever FFmpeg-GUI a try.
    Start the app, click on select source and point to VOB 1 of a Title Set (e.g. VTS_01_1.VOB for Titleset 1), answer Yes and all VOB's of this titleset are jointed to one movie.
    If the import has finished you'll see in the info box if there are subtitles.
    If so, click main, click extract subtitle stream, select your subtitle stream on click extract.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thx for the advice, i tried clever ffmpeg but unfortunately im getting the same results as with regular ffmpeg prompts. It merges .vob file but only copies audio and video track, not the subtitles (moreover, for audio track, it only copies the first track, not remaining tracks too). I tried different vob files (documentaries, operas - stuff for which you do not have subs online) and everytime i got the same result
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	clever.png
Views:	8
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	71040  

Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JadHC View Post
    thx for the advice, i tried clever ffmpeg but unfortunately im getting the same results as with regular ffmpeg prompts. It merges .vob file but only copies audio and video track, not the subtitles (moreover, for audio track, it only copies the first track, not remaining tracks too). I tried different vob files (documentaries, operas - stuff for which you do not have subs online) and everytime i got the same result
    And you are sure that the vob's contain subtitles and multiple audio tracks?
    Post a mediainfo report (text mode) of such a vob here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by JadHC View Post
    thx for the advice, i tried clever ffmpeg but unfortunately im getting the same results as with regular ffmpeg prompts. It merges .vob file but only copies audio and video track, not the subtitles (moreover, for audio track, it only copies the first track, not remaining tracks too). I tried different vob files (documentaries, operas - stuff for which you do not have subs online) and everytime i got the same result
    And you are sure that the vob's contain subtitles and multiple audio tracks?
    Post a mediainfo report (text mode) of such a vob here.
    see attached. both have multiple audio streams and multiple subs. Maybe i need to rip IFO file instead of VOB? not sure why its not going through properly
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	opera.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	71047  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doc.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	71048  

Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, so use pgcdemux mod, https://www.videohelp.com/download/PgcDemux_1205Mod_m03_bin.zip
    Start the app, browse for the wanted titleset IFO, browse for your output folder, select demux all subpics streams, deselect all other, click process.

[Attachment 71050 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can now also use the latest beta of clever FFmpeg-GUI (v3.1.1.01).
    https://files.videohelp.com/u/292773/clever_ffmpeg_gui_newest_beta.zip
    It should now recognize and display all streams in the VOB's. So they can be extracted as well.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Ok, so use pgcdemux mod, https://www.videohelp.com/download/PgcDemux_1205Mod_m03_bin.zip
    Start the app, browse for the wanted titleset IFO, browse for your output folder, select demux all subpics streams, deselect all other, click process.

[Attachment 71050 - Click to enlarge]
    thanks. this was very helpful. I also used Subrip to OCR the subtitles into srt. thanks for your help Im happy i could have finally ripped the movies and skip those endless menus on my opera DVDs!

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Subrip
    Quote Quote