VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used to rip/convert DVD's and rarely encountered any problems. Now, I don't know what's going on, but I seem to have nothing but problems trying to rip/convert a DVD and sometimes, even after I've ripped DVD to MKV. First, a lot of the "rippers" (open source) are just trial versions and do not rip entire DVD. Next, VLC will not allow me to "set" the path" (where I want converted file). I used AVC and it takes forever to convert MKV to mp4. Tried many times to use HandBrake and it fails to work every time. WinX "free"(used to be one of my favorites) only allows 5 mins. of "rip"(worthless)... same for FreeMake. I used to use these quite often w/ little/no problem....ain't that way now!!! I guess it's time it's time to learn the FFMPeg software, it's just I don't know the "coding" and it seems like it's an involved process.(?)So, what I want: DVD ripping/conversion software that can actually rip and convert a DVD to any of the popular formats being used today. IDK, doesn't seem to me it should be this problematic?

Rick
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If you want to convert a DVD to "any of the popular formats today", you probably want to convert only the preferred "Main movie" PGC (Program Chain). For this target, having one continuous single file certainly helps. And this is what makeMKV does. It does not convert, though. It writes the content of the main movie to an MKV file without recompression. You can later convert it to your preferred formats with your preferred converter software.

But this way you will not backup any additional extras you can usually only watch when you select them via the DVD Menu. They are in separate PGCs.

If you want to backup everything, probably the best way would be storing the whole DVD image, possibly even including the layer break when the original DVD was a multi-layer DVD-9. For this target, DVD Decrypter would be recommendable. But you would have to mount this image in a Virtual DVD drive later to watch it again in a media player. There has been some work to store interactive menus and alternative media in one MKV file, but the playback support in media players barely exists.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ADDENDUM to original thread.

Just to prove a point, I, once again, D/led and installed Handbrake(and it's add-on .net) Once again, it did NOTHING!! I just don't get it, I never used to have problems "ripping/converting". I'll ask once again, what could be the problem(S)? And what ripper/convertor do you currently use?

THANX
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Handbrake is a media converter software. It is not meant to read out copy protected DVD discs.
    Quote Quote