VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I compress a lot of 1080p home videos using VidCoder x264 at CRF 26 at very slow speeds, which does a pretty good job of saving me space. The video quality is good and the file size is a fraction of the original. However, I've been thinking of using x265 instead since it provides even better compression and still good or even better quality, but I don't know which x265 settings to use.

There's:

H.265
    H.265 10-bit
    H.265 12-bit
    H.265 (Intel QSV)
    H.265 (NVEnc)

With x264, I use CRF 26 on 1080p videos, but CRF values are different with x265 so I don't what setting to use to keep a comparable quality.

Which of those should I use to keep at least the same video quality as what I'm currently using but with better compression to produce smaller file sizes?

I leave my videos encoding over night, so more compression while maintaining good quality is more important than speed.

My computer specs are as follows: i7 processor, 2.60 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 cores.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use h265 (8 Bit, for compatibility with many devices) and CRF 30
    Last edited by ProWo; 6th May 2023 at 11:09.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is x265 12-bit slower or faster? Does it compress better? I'm more concerned with smaller file sizes than compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Ninja Joe View Post
    Is x265 12-bit slower or faster? Does it compress better? I'm more concerned with smaller file sizes than compatibility.
    Do you want to watch your movies on TV?
    If so, forget 10 and 12 Bit.
    h265 is slower then h264, but the files are smaller.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Do you want to watch your movies on TV?
    No, just on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In my experience most devices that play 8 bit 4K HEVC also play 10 bit 4K HEVC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. H.265s main (10) profile contains 10bit, which is the reason my normally all devices support 10bit,....
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote