VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. i extracted subs from a mkv with subtitle-edit. But now the font changed and (more important) it does not display the word correctly. It does not show letters like ä,ö,ü. Its a german subtitle.

Can someone help me?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Extract the sub with mkvcleaver and post it here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It says mkvextract.exe or mkvmerge.exe was not found.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to locate mkvtoolnix first with mkvcleaver.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I did install it but it say still the same. What does "locate" mean ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open mkvcleaver and click in the box that says "locate mkvtoolnix and browse for the mkvtoolnix folder that is located in your program files/program files(x86)depending where it was installed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Extract the sub with mkvcleaver and post it here.
    Ok, now it works. So when i do it with mkvcleaver instead of editSubtitle.

Has anyone an idea how i can make it work on editSubtitle too ?

here the file:
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to include the idx file as well.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You need to include the idx file as well.
    i Thought i did it. Ah it wont work. i have zipped it.

here :
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. What do you want to do with the subtitle?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The op wants to open the sub with subtitle edit and have ä,ö,ü shown properly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The op wants to open the sub with subtitle edit and have ä,ö,ü shown properly.
    Yes, and i want to extract it. It's a .mkv with integrated subtitle. It shows correctly in this video, but when i extract it to .srt it wont work and everything äöü is shown as sth like àéè or so. Strang is, it works with the other software, but maybe because it does it extract not as .srt ?

However, actually i want to transfer the sub from video a) to video b) (which has no subs in this language). So actually i dont need the .srt, i need to "insert" it into the videofile (somehow). But not as burned-in sub. As normal subtitle (as first place). But i need exactly this sub. So that's why i ahve to extract it out from this video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just use mkvmerge to add subs to a video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just use mkvmerge to add subs to a video.
    Yeah, but first i need the subs. Can i use this Sub i posted here ? This with two files needed? Because it works only with this tool. The other tool does not work for now.

But how can i do it? This mkvmerge does link me to mkvtoolnix. So do i also ahve to use mkvcleaver or mkvtoolnix?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just use mkvcleaver to extract the sub and mkvmerge to add the sub to another video,the sub you uploaded can be used.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Do you understand the SUB/IDX isn't text -- it's pictures of text (bitmap images). When you convert to SRT you are performing and optical character recognition (OCR). The conversion apparently isn't recognizing the characters with diacritical marks correctly. I'm not so familiar with Subtitle Edit but maybe it has an option for non-English character sets in it's OCR engine.

Or just extract the SUB/IDX files and mux them with your video into an MKV file with mkvtoolnix.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Do you understand the SUB/IDX isn't text -- it's pictures of text (bitmap images). When you convert to SRT you are performing and optical character recognition (OCR). The conversion apparently isn't recognizing the characters with diacritical marks correctly. I'm not so familiar with Subtitle Edit but maybe it has an option for non-English character sets in it's OCR engine.

Or just extract the SUB/IDX files and mux them with your video into an MKV file with mkvtoolnix.
    Yes, i think i will do that. I need an mkv for that? So i have to make sure the file is mkv after filtering and this stuff ?

mkvtoolnix has a very difficult gui. Is there an option to batch-integrate 100 subs into 100 videos ? That would be nice.

And what am i doing, when the Subs came from a 25fps video and the other video ist 23.976 FPS ? When i use the subs in the video, it looks actually good at start and at end. So is that possible or am i blind ?

And what, if some of these SUB/IDX are not timed right ? Am i able to edit them too? Because they are two files. I dont know, if i just can edit the SUB file.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Platos View Post
    I need an mkv for that?
    Any container that supports SUB/IDX.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Does mp4 supports that? Sorry i have no clue.
    Quote Quote  
  20. No. Mp4 does not support SUB/IDX. I think MOV does.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Ok, then i will use mkv i think. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Oops. It looks like I was wrong. I just tested it and I was able to mux IDX/SUB into MP4 with ffmpeg. But not into MOV.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Ahh, nice. then i will use this.

But other question. I have now exctracted all subs ((From the mkv-source) and i noticed now, that the newer episodes has pgs.sup files. I can't test them in VLC by add subtitle. And also they are quite big. Is there a way to convert them into .srt /.ass or this SUB/IDX without loosing the corect sync ?

The reason why i want to use this extractet subtitle is, because the downloaded subs are not synct with my wanted video source and i also dont manage to sync it (because it is not only a time-offset). (I want to implement the subs in a video source, which is not the same like the one i extracted the subs from).

Edit: There are so many subtitle format, i dont know, what i should use. Should i use .srt, .ass, .sup or idx/sub? Im confused

What is best for subtitle ?
    Last edited by Platos; 5th May 2023 at 07:46.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Platos View Post
    But other question. I have now exctracted all subs ((From the mkv-source) and i noticed now, that the newer episodes has pgs.sup files. I can't test them in VLC by add subtitle. And also they are quite big. Is there a way to convert them into .srt /.ass or this SUB/IDX without loosing the corect sync ?
    You can convert pgs.sup with subtitleedit, like sub/idx.

Originally Posted by Platos View Post
    The reason why i want to use this extractet subtitle is, because the downloaded subs are not synct with my wanted video source and i also dont manage to sync it (because it is not only a time-offset). (I want to implement the subs in a video source, which is not the same like the one i extracted the subs from).
    Edit: There are so many subtitle format, i dont know, what i should use. Should i use .srt, .ass, .sup or idx/sub? Im confused
    What is best for subtitle ?
    srt, ass, ssa, vtt, mov_text are text subtitles and can be edited with any text editor or subtitle edit.
    sup and sub/idx are bitmap subtitles and can be converted with subtitle edit via OCR.

You also have to be careful which video container you want to use. Each container accepts only certain subtitles. Most subtitle types are accepted by the mkv container.
    Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

To your problem in post 1:
    You need to download the german dictionary.

[Attachment 70762 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks for your help.

But what subtitle is the best ? If the sup/sub is picture-based, wouldn't it be a problem, when i upscale the video and then these pictures are then to small, because they are pixel-graphic ?

Can you suggest me, what i should do ?

Shall i just extract only time-stamps and integrate it in downloaded .ass subs ? Because i have my dvd subs, bluray subs and 2 version of internet-download subs. But the one from internet are not synct.

So best thin is probably to use bluray-subs (because of having the same font-style over the whole series). But what subtitle-format would you reccomd me? Pls tell me sth, imoverwhelmed

Ah ok, where did you find these settings ? i dont see them in the setting-tab.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use BDSup2Sub to convert sup to sub/idx,it does it without any ocr so the symbols stay the same.
    Quote Quote  
  27. What's best depends on your circumstances. If you're authoring DVDs you must use IDX/SUB. If you're authoring BD you must use PGS/SUP. Outside of authored discs SRT has the widest support. But SRT is very limited -- you can't reliably specify fonts, colors, sizes, positions, etc. (though some players support some HTML tags for such features). ASS supports most of those features but outside of PCs most players don't support the format. For example, if your TV has a build in media player that plays mp4 files it probably supports external SRT files but not ASS files. MP4 doesn't support muxed SRT or ASS.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Adding forced English srt subs to an mp4.
    Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i "The Movie.mp4" -sub_charenc ISO-8859-1 -i "The Movie.srt" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 1:0 -disposition forced -c:v copy -c:a copy -c:s mov_text -metadata:s:s:0 language=eng -y "The Movie(subs).mp4"
    The result plays ok on my devices. ymmv.

EDIT:
    If the subtitles are in German;
    -sub_charenc UTF-8 to handle German characters?
    Although ISO-8859-1 or ISO-8859-15 should handle German characters ok.

(I have no smart TV to test any of the above. I'm experimenting with a Windows 10 PC and an Android tablet.)
    Last edited by pcspeak; 5th May 2023 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Of course, the srt subs are being converted to mov_text format. And if the SRT doesn't have diacriticals the mov_text won't either.

mp4 subs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_17
    srt subs: https://www.visualsubsync.org/help/srt
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thanks guys, i will check the options tomorrow or today and will update then.

But how do i find this window from post number #24? I dont find it.
    Quote Quote