VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    ML/AI based video editing? Finding patterns in editing footage. Is this a thing yet? I use Movie Studio 16 to edit athletic footage. For example, if I am editing a video of me doing jumping jacks, I would edit out the rest periods when I am just standing there, resting. Is there an AI plug-in that could learn that I edit out the footage where I am just standing there, and only keep the footage where I am moving my arms? This seems like a viable application of machine learning. How can I learn more about this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. GoodLuck! or AI would say Good Luck

Nice to see another user of Movie Studio 16. That was/is a great program. And there is no AI plugin for this version.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 3rd May 2023 at 16:31.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    GoodLuck! or AI would say Good Luck

Nice to see another user of Movie Studio 16. That was/is a great program. And there is no AI plugin for this version.
    Is MS16 not used widely?
    What are the most common video editing apps these days?

Is there an AI plug-in for newer versions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why do you (think you) need AI? What benefit do you expect to get from it?
    My experience with AI so far has been hit-or-miss (mainly miss) in a number of use cases, with better results coming from more clearly (and narrowly) defined and detailed instructions and more closely-approximating/appropriate reference/model data. IOW, the usual "you get what you put into it" or conversely, GIGO.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Why do you (think you) need AI? What benefit do you expect to get from it?
    tt
    I outlined my use case in the first post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are making assumptions that the machine already knows that a certain group of pixels is an object that is equivalent to other pixels in other places, shapes, colors, and that that object is trackable, and that the trackable object is of a certain significance to you (but not necessarily others).
    If you just want something to cut out clips with low/no motion, this can already be done with standard scripting such as AVISynth (assuming Nothing else is moving in the scene and the cam is locked down).
    But that doesn't answer WHY? Is it just because you don't want to have to go through the process of reviewing and marking your clips?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    But that doesn't answer WHY? Is it just because you don't want to have to go through the process of reviewing and marking your clips?

Scott
    Correct.
    Technology is for saving time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Aaahhh, but there's the rub.
    Even assuming there was already a tool that had learning AI that worked with an editor, you would VERY VERY likely spend more time "teaching" your tool what things were "jumping jack" motion, and what things were not, than you would if you just edited them yourself, unless you were to do hundreds and hundreds of jumping jack videos.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Man people (want to) rely on Ai a bit too much these days.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Aaahhh, but there's the rub.
    Even assuming there was already a tool that had learning AI that worked with an editor, you would VERY VERY likely spend more time "teaching" your tool what things were "jumping jack" motion, and what things were not, than you would if you just edited them yourself, unless you were to do hundreds and hundreds of jumping jack videos.

Scott
    I would be willing to train it on a 15 minute video and see how it performs
    Quote Quote