VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I own a ton of movies and tv shows, and I always enjoyed tinkering with them, cutting out awesome battle scenes into their own separate videos and stuff, but now I've taken on a bigger task that I have always wanted to do, but unfortunately my tools are not up to the task. Right now I'm using Machete (a keyframe editor) and Smart Cutter (a frame-accurate cutter that uses smart rendering) as well as ffmpeg for the initial lossless transition from DVD to video, and my goal is to join some of my favourite TV shows together seamlessly, cutting out credits and commercial transitions, making the start and end of each episode splice seamlessly too. There will be one credit scene at the end of each video and an opening scene at the beginning, and each video will span an entire arc. What I'm having problems with is transitions, sometimes I might need the video and/or audio to fade out/in, but if I'm gonna preserve DVD quality then whatever tool I use for this must support smart rendering. As I understand it the idea behind smart rendering is that the only frames that are edited are the frames you are working on, the rest of the untouched video is simply muxed. I have seen this used in tools to cut video in a frame-accurate fashion, which gives you more options than a keyframe editor, but it stands to reason you could do more than just splice video with this technique. Are there any good tools out there that might help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Smart rendering works, as you describe it, for a single video although that may even fail when you add another sequence beit a credit or transition since the bitrate for these will inevitably be different so re-encoding must then take place.

Expand that to entire episodes where the bitrate for these will, inevitably, vary and the entire new video will require re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Smart rendering works, as you describe it, for a single video although that may even fail when you add another sequence beit a credit or transition since the bitrate for these will inevitably be different so re-encoding must then take place.

Expand that to entire episodes where the bitrate for these will, inevitably, vary and the entire new video will require re-encoding.
    Well no, actually the series I'm working on is mostly the same, there is some variance but mostly from season to season so doing entire arcs works fine, I just combine the files with machete first, or I can concatenate the videos losslessly with ffmpeg. The files are all joined, at this point I just need to smooth over the transitions.

I did most of my work in Machete this time, though Smart Cutter does come in handy. Luckily, the videos have the original keyframes intact, so I can make cuts at the transitions between scenes. If I cut out two keyframes and edit them in smart cutter I can make them fit together better and insert the video back in with Machete, but I can't add effects with this technique, only thing. If I have to carve out each transition again and edit them individually I will, but it would be faster to edit the whole video with a program that supports smart rendering

Maybe it's the same bitrate because it's animated?
    Last edited by imkira3; 28th Apr 2023 at 16:15.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try TS-Doctor to see if it does what you want. It isn't free but it isn't expensive and it has a free trial.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You could try TS-Doctor to see if it does what you want. It isn't free but it isn't expensive and it has a free trial.
    I'm reading the download page but it sounds like another tool like my smart cutter, but it does sound like it has a few useful tools in terms of video repair. Still, it's not listing anything about fading the video and/or audio out/in, which is what I need really
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you want to switch to a full-blown non-linear editor, possibly something like Avidemux, or even Aviaynrh script.
    Do your fade/editing there, reencode the whole thing in one go
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Unless you want to switch to a full-blown non-linear editor, possibly something like Avidemux, or even Aviaynrh script.
    Like I said, I'm trying to avoid encoding, hence the reason I always use either smart rendering or keyframe editing whenever I edit anything. I'm not interested in anything else
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by imkira3 View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Like I said, I'm trying to avoid encoding, hence the reason I always use either smart rendering or keyframe editing whenever I edit anything. I'm not interested in anything else
    You're looking for something that will do smart editing around the cut GOP's and also fade that section?
    It may be possible, I've never seen anything.
    Last edited by davexnet; 28th Apr 2023 at 17:18.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by imkira3 View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Your looking for something that will do smart editing around the cut GOP's and also fade that section?
    It may be possible, I've never seen anything.
    Yeah, neither have I, but yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for. Not just the video, I need the audio to fade in/out sometimes, it can be tricky if there is background music in the scene
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The audio can handled separately in an audio editor then remuxed with the video once it's ready.
    Have you looked at Tmpgenc Smart Renderer, probably one of the most full-featured of its type
    https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr6.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, VideoReDo TVSuite V6, which could add fades, is no longer available for sale due to the death of it's owner.

I also suggest that you look at Tmpgenc Smart Renderer.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    The audio can handled separately in an audio editor then remuxed with the video once it's ready.
    Have you looked at Tmpgenc Smart Renderer, probably one of the most full-featured of its type
    https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr6.html
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Unfortunately, VideoReDo TVSuite V6, which could add fades, is no longer available for sale due to the death of it's owner.

I also suggest that you look at Tmpgenc Smart Renderer.
    Newly added Easing function to transition effects.
    An easing function is newly available for the transition effects. By adding acceleration, deceleration or rebound to the animation movements, you can add further enhanced movement to the video footage.

Transition Effects.
    Implements over 200 "Transition Effects" to choose from, ensuring that you can add your own unique touch to your videos. This version features new effects such as Page Turn, Grid and more

Wow! This sounds promising! I'm gonna give the free trial a try right now, it sounds perfect, exactly what I'm looking for
    Quote Quote  
  13. Doesn't Vegas support smart editing of MPEG 2 video?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Doesn't Vegas support smart editing of MPEG 2 video?
    vegas pro does... but it's sometimes difficult to get it working. You have to match the settings, including GOP makeup, and it doesn't always work
    Quote Quote