VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone, today I'd like to share a goal I've set myself and that'll be a good learning curve as well.

One of my favourite music show is Live at the Quick from Bela Fleck and the Flecktones and the best available quality is in DVD9 which I own. The first step I've done is to remux it to a single MKV file with MakeMKV. This is the only step so far I've done as it's the only non-destructive thing I could do. Here's a screenshot for reference.

[Attachment 70550 - Click to enlarge]

Here's a list in which I think the order is right of things I'd like to validate on how to get the best results with the goal of watching this in 1080p and 16x9 while keeping in mind that the end product needs to look better than before I'd processed it. I would like to do everything possible to work with the less destructive options and best practices.
    1. Remux with MakeMKV
    2. Crop the top and bottom black bars from DVD9 letter-boxing
    3. Upscale the video to 1080p

Also I've seen many up-scales on YT in 60 fps. Shouldn't we keep the original frame rate?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you done any of this yet? If so, does it really look any better? It seems like a whole lot of work for very little gain. I'd recommend doing some tests and then have someone other than yourself look at the "before" and "after".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Without a small video sample, hard to say.
    In general, cropping, some light denoising&deblocking, upscaling with NNEDI3 and some CAS might help to improve things.
    https://imgsli.com/MTczNzE5 <- light deblocking with DPIR, cropping and NNEDI3.
    Last edited by Selur; 26th Apr 2023 at 12:49.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Without a small video sample, hard to say.
    In general, cropping, some light denoising&deblocking, upscaling with NNEDI3 and some CAS might help to improve things.
    https://imgsli.com/MTczNzE5 <- light deblocking with DPIR, cropping and NNEDI3.
    Thank you for your reply, here's a link to a 1 minute excerpt uncompressed remux from DVD9.
    Last edited by ElegantRain; 26th Apr 2023 at 19:56.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just followed a 1 hour tutorial covering the basics of avisynth to get me started and wrote this basic script to deinterlace, resize and crop.

SetFilterMTMode ("QTGMC", 2)
    FFMPEGSource2("Live At The Quick.mkv", atrack=1)
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(preset="Slower",EdiThreads=4)
    LanczosResize(720,540)
    Crop(0,68, 0, -68, align=true)
    Prefetch(14)
    I'm kind of lost with the end size crop of 720x404 as my goal is 16x9 and should be 720x405, which non-pair values are rejected. Why is this happening and how to fix this?

As for DPIR I went through their instructions and I don't understand it, the terms are too complicated for my knowledge. I've tried some stuff but get any results as everything I do seems to leave the image ass before or almost the same even zoomed in at 200%. How could deblock this DVD and in what order should I add it to my script?

I'll try to figure this out before trying to jump to the next steps. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by G22 View Post
    Just followed a 1 hour tutorial covering the basics of avisynth to get me started and wrote this basic script to deinterlace, resize and crop.

AssumeTFF()
    LanczosResize(720,540)
    Prefetch(14)
    I'm kind of lost with the end size crop of 720x404 as my goal is 16x9 and should be 720x405, which non-pair values are rejected. Why is this happening and how to fix this?

As for DPIR I went through their instructions and I don't understand it, the terms are too complicated for my knowledge. I've tried some stuff but get any results as everything I do seems to leave the image ass before or almost the same even zoomed in at 200%. How could deblock this DVD and in what order should I add it to my script?

Progressive 4:2:0 color space video (typical consumer delivery format) must be mod 2 in size.
    Have you tried upscaling yet? You could try NNedi3_rpow2, or some of the members here have experience with the
    AI-based methods.
    Here's a fairly quick and dirty attempt using nnedi3; result has a bit of the soap opera effect presumably becasue of the double rate deinterlace
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Just followed a 1 hour tutorial covering the basics of avisynth to get me started and wrote this basic script to deinterlace, resize and crop.

AssumeTFF()
    LanczosResize(720,540)
    Prefetch(14)

Progressive 4:2:0 color space video (typical consumer delivery format) must be mod 2 in size.
    Have you tried upscaling yet? You could try NNedi3_rpow2, or some of the members here have experience with the
    AI-based methods.
    Here's a fairly quick and dirty attempt using nnedi3; result has a bit of the soap opera effect presumably becasue of the double rate deinterlace
    This is a really good result! I'm pretty sure adding grain on top of this would make it look really good.

Could you share the filter you've used? I'm not quite sure I understand what you did there. Also how have you gotten the 1280x720 format? I can't get 16x9 correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That DVD frame is skewiff. The red is the black space around the frame; the marquee is the true 16:9 frame:

[Attachment 70559 - Click to enlarge]

If you want it to be totally black-bar free, you'll need to lop off the large right margin and the small left margin. Also, the video itself isn't quite 16:9; you'll need to trim off the top and bottom a bit. How you do that in AVISynth I do not know.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That DVD frame is skewiff. The red is the black space around the frame; the marquee is the true 16:9 frame:

[Attachment 70559 - Click to enlarge]

If you want it to be totally black-bar free, you'll need to lop off the large right margin and the small left margin. Also, the video itself isn't quite 16:9; you'll need to trim off the top and bottom a bit. How you do that in AVISynth I do not know.
    The left and right black bars needs to be kept since the interview parts are taking the whole screen.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Rojer dojer.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can play with it a bit, as you say you can add a little grain and perhaps use the x264 "film" preset

Code:
    #MPEG2Source("C:\Users\davex\Desktop\avs_test\music.d2v")#,cpu2="ooooxx") for 32 bit host
    d2vSource("C:\Users\davex\Desktop\avs_test\music.d2v") # for 64 bit host
    assumetff().converttoyv12(interlaced=true)
    ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.601->Rec.709",interlaced=true)

qtgmc(preset="slow",tr2=0)
    Blur(0,0.2)
    crop(4,64,-4,-64)
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwidth=1280,fheight=720)

#CAS()   alternate shapener
    #asharp(t=1,d=3,b=2)    alternate sharpener
    sharpen(0.0,0.6)
    prefetch
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you for sharing I got really good results with this so far

Before / After comparison here.

assumetff().converttoyv12(interlaced=true)
    qtgmc(preset="Slower",tr2=0)
    Blur(0,0.2)
    crop(8,64,-32,-66)
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwid th=1920,fheight=1080)
    sharpen(0.0,1.0)
    AddGrainC(var=25.0, uvar=0.0, hcorr=0.0, vcorr=0.0, seed=-1, constant=false, sse2=true)
    prefetch
    I decided to crop the black bars even if it's cropping the documentary parts in between the songs since they're worth 5 min in total of the whole video and cropping this small didn't affected the video.

d2vSource("C:\Users\davex\Desktop\avs_test\music.d 2v") # for 64 bit host
    I saw that you're using d2vSource whereas I'm using FFMPEGSource2. You said 64 bit host. My host is 64 bit and I've read that FFMPEGSource2 works for 64 bit. Is there any advantages of working with d2vSource?

That enhanced very much my video, how could have I known this by looking at MediaInfo? Perhaps any DVD5/DVD9 are in rec.601?

qtgmc(preset="Slower",tr2=0)
    I changed it to slower and it greatly improved the quality.

Blur(0,0.2)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the blur seemed to help much with faster motion camera moves.

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwid th=1920,fheight=1080)
    Went to 1080p and so far so good, let me know if I should have done something different.

sharpen(0.0,1.0)
    Increasing to 1.0 made the film grain look better afterwards, otherwise you're setting at 0.6 was spot on.

AddGrainC(var=25.0, uvar=0.0, hcorr=0.0, vcorr=0.0, seed=-1, constant=false, sse2=true)
    I've used this but reading on Reddit it seems like AV1 has a better option with film grain sythesis. The user is giving this code

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -pix_fmt yuv420p10 -c:v libsvtav1 -svtav1-params film-grain=50:film-grain-denoise=0 output
    and I wonder how I could integrate this in AvsPmod as I can't find any DLL for it. Am correct thinking that it may not be something we can preview in AvsPmod and that it's an encoder setting only in VirtualDub2?

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I'm really glad so far with the results and the fact I'm learning and that I haven't fell for Topaz!
    Last edited by ElegantRain; 27th Apr 2023 at 10:56.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by G22 View Post

I wonder how I could integrate this in AvsPmod as I can't find any DLL for it. Am correct thinking that it may not be something we can preview in AvsPmod and that it's an encoder setting only in VirtualDub2?
    for avspmod, tools => script encoder . You can edit the ffmpeg.presets file
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

I wonder how I could integrate this in AvsPmod as I can't find any DLL for it. Am correct thinking that it may not be something we can preview in AvsPmod and that it's an encoder setting only in VirtualDub2?
    for avspmod, tools => script encoder . You can edit the ffmpeg.presets file
    Thank you for helping. I did what you said but there's no AV1 preset in the command line settings, only x264 and x265. Perhaps my computer isn't compatible with AV1? I'm running a i9-9900k and a 2080ti.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You have to edit the preset (make the preset, save the ffmpeg.presets file - it's just a text file in the tools directory. You can make any preset that you use often)

Or you can push configure, ffmpeg tab, ffmpeg.presets button to see the directory
    Quote Quote  
  16. Don't use MakeMKV. use mpeg2cut2. also you might want to post the sample
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You have to edit the preset (make the preset, save the ffmpeg.presets file - it's just a text file in the tools directory. You can make any preset that you use often)

Or you can push configure, ffmpeg tab, ffmpeg.presets button to see the directory
    Thank you it worked!

Originally Posted by rrats View Post
    Don't use MakeMKV. use mpeg2cut2. also you might want to post the sample
    Why would I listen to some advice even if it's a good advice when there's absolutely no information about why I should do this. Please explain.
    Quote Quote