VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVD and there is always scene blending, when there is a bit of moving. I hate that and would like to delete this out of the video. So either i delete the whole frame or only the blend effect out of the frame.

how can i do that, without selecting/delecting all frames by hand ? So i make an example: In handbrake i can choose deinterlace only there, where its interlaced. I want sth similiar where i can say analyse the video for scene blending and then delete the frame/effect.

Which software, which is free can do that?

Pls help me, i am new here.

Here is a Picture about what i mean (its a random google picture, not from my DVD):

https://akiteck.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/vlcsnap-248197.png?w=660

If this is allowed here i could also somehow (how?) link to the 13s long clip i mean (its only a part of a 20 min video). And it blends not the whole time. I can see only this blending effect, when moving appears. When it appears, it comes normally each second frame. So like that: 1-2-1-2-1-2.

If you say it would help to upload the video somewhere tell me. i could do that (but how ?).

I also red that: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Removing_blended_film_frames_on_vcds

But i dont think, it's this problem.

And i also saw that: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters#Fieldblending_and_Frameblending_removal

But i have no idea, if that helps or how i do that.
    Last edited by Platos; 23rd Apr 2023 at 05:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. a. you need to look at the unprocessed frames/fields (without deinterlacing) to see whether the blending is caused by wrong deinterlacing/ivtc/field matching or is backed in the fields/frames.
    b. if it's 'just' about removing frames with banding and lowering the frame rate sRestore or similar could be used.
    Share a small unprocessed sample of the source (a few seconds or minutes is enough) where horizontal movement is present and folks here can look at the file and probably tell you more in details whats up with the source. Important is that the sample is not reencode or additionally filtered.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your answer.

Here is a 15s clip: https://uploadnow.io/de/share?utm_source=fjNLgsH

and here a 2 min clip: https://uploadnow.io/f/23JVW9p

Both are directly from dvd and cut with avidemux.

So directly copied with makemkv and then cut with avidemux. Nothing else.

Yeah, i would be glad if someone could have a look on it. Because i dont know, what i have to do.

Thanks you all.
    Quote Quote  
  4. As Selur pointed out, SRestore() in AviSynth or VapourSynth should take care of most of it.
    Code:
    Mpeg2Source("Naruto DVD Folge 4_3 min.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3) 
    AssumeTFF()
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    QTGMC(preset="fast")
    SRestore()
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Apr 2023 at 08:56.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    As Selur pointed out, SRestore() in AviSynth or VapourSynth should take care of most of it.
    Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    QTGMC(preset="fast")
    SRestore()
    Oh wow, thank you very much man

But now i have the "other" problem. I have actually zero idea, what i have to do with this "code". What do i need for that and how/where do i have to write that code ?

Can you explain me, what you did ? what is that crop thing ? is that the command, which removed the frame blending ? Can i use that for every episode in this series ? Or did you have to adjust it for this specific video ?

Sorry, i'm completly new in that. Till now i used only software with a GUI.

Edit: Ah, now there is no audio anymore. How can i make, the audio coming back in the Video you have linked ? So what do i have to do in the command, that the audio does not disappear ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, i found the tool "Hybrid" from Selur. Is this the same Selur like the one who answered in this thread? If yes, then thank you. Your tool truly makes avisynth-things available for me, because it would cost a lot of time to get into the command-things for me.

Anyway:

I inserted the video in the Software and then i made audio passtrough all and then i went to filtering, chose avisynth on "support" and then i went to "Reduction" and use Restore with base Settings (6 Omode).

It reduced the blending very good, but its not that good like the result from jagabo. I guess thats because the settings are not perfect for my video.

Mabye you selur or jagabo could tell me, what settings i should use? Or sth like an advice/guess which settings i should try to play around? That would be very nice! I checked only the "Restore" box and not the "SelectEvery" and "SelectRangeEvery" box or anything else.

Here is the video which i edited with selurs Hybrid software:

https://uploadnow.io/f/9nlhx1H
    Quote Quote  
  7. Code:
    This loads the source video using Triticals MPEG2Source(), included in Donald Graft's DGDecode package.

http://www.avisynth.nl/index.php/DGDecode

This is the most reliable source filter for DVD MPEG 2 sources. I had to remux your MKV to VOB (it doesn't work properly with MVK) and build an index file (d2v) with DgIndex. CPU2="ooooxx" enableds its DCT ringing reduction filter to reduce "mosquito noise" around sharp edges. Info=3 has it pass field order information to the later filters.

The second most reliable source filter for MPEG 2 is LSMASH's LWlibavVideoSource(). That builds an index file automatically when you open a VOB or MKV file. Using that instead of MPEG2Source() usually works well.

Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    I thought there might be a problem with the field order information from Mpeg2Source() so I specified it manually as Top Field First.

Code:
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    I then cropped 8 pixels off the left side and 8 pixels off the right size. Those black borders aren't part of the actual video so they're not needed.

Code:
    QTGMC(preset="fast")
    QTGMC() is a very smart deinterlacer. It turns each field of the source video into a frame, doubling the frame rate from 29.97 fps to 59.94 fps. This is necessary because the blending from the NTSC to PAL conversion is field based, not frame based -- it appears in some fields but not in others.

Code:
    SRestore()
    SRestore() at its default settings with a 59.94 fps video will reduce the frame rate to 23.976 fps by preferentially removing blended frames.

QTGMC and SRestore have lots of settings you can adjust to fine tune the results.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    Crop(8,0,-8,-0)
    QTGMC(preset="fast")
    SRestore()
    Would be in Hybrid:
    • load source
    • enable Avisynth (Filtering->Support->Avisynth)
    • enable cropping (Crop/Resize->Base->Picture Crop) and set the crop values
    • enable sRestore (Filtering->Avisynth->Frame->Reducton->Restore->sRestore)
    • move crop before deinterlacing (Filtering->Avisynth->Misc->Filter Order->Custom Filter Order)
    CPU2="ooooxx",sub-option of MPEGSource2, isn't supported in Hybrid, but probably doesn't do much.

You might also want to switch to 64bit Avisynth (Config->Internals->Avisynth->Avisynth type->64bit).

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you both!

@Jagabo: So what setting did you use in SRestore ? Because your upload is a bit better than mine. On 1:38 (when the camera goes down) your file has no blending anymore (only one frame). While mine has frame blending in the first or second frame from the movement. I dont think that the other filters have an effect on SRestore or is that possible ?

@Selur: Thanks you! Your software is very nice. Do you have any idea why Jagabo's upload is slitly better on 1:38 in the video (the moment, when the camera moves down). In my last upload the first frame when the movement begins have still one frame blending left while Jagabo's does not have. I have to say that the original had even 2 Belnding frames in a row (so GBB).

Maybe you have an idea what's the difference betwen his Command and the default setting of sRestore in Hybrid? I tried -25 Speed, but result is the same. Maybe i should lower thresh ? Because i think Omode 6 is the best or what do you prefer ? I guess 6, because its your software
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Platos View Post
    @Jagabo: So what setting did you use in SRestore ?
    The script I posted is exactly what I used to produce the video. I encoded it with the x264 command line encoder.

Originally Posted by Platos View Post
    Because your upload is a bit better than mine. On 1:38 (when the camera goes down) your file has no blending anymore (only one frame). While mine has frame blending in the first or second frame from the movement. I dont think that the other filters have an effect on SRestore or is that possible ?
    I don't see AssumeTFF() or QTGMC() in his list of filters. Does SRestore() in Hybrid automatically call QTGMC first?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hmm, i realise now that your upload of my video is still in 23.976 FPS while mine is in 11.988 (half fps).

I dont know what hyrbid is doing differently, but it changes the framerate with default sRestore settings to half of original.

In my video the duplicated frames are deletet while in jagabos it's not. So i mean not the frame-blending frames. You know in animes you have only 12 frames and the others are duplicated inbetween.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You didn't call QTGMC() So SRestore() decimated from 29.97 fps to 11.988 fps. If you had called QTGMC() it would have decimated from 59.94 fps to 23.976 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Your source probably has other characteristics than what the remuxed sample.
    Hybrid has tons of options to overwrite stuff,... since you mentioned that your source was copied with makemkv try
    • enabling Config->Internals->Prefer Original->Frame rate
    • enabling Config->Internals->Handling->Ignore all input timecode
    • also check the detected 'Scan type' (shown in the Base-tab)
    before loading your source.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ok thanks for clarification.

But how do i "force" deinterlace ? Because how it seems Hybrid did not deinterlace while Jagabo did (because of the FPS).

And in the source i have "top field first" for scan type and in the ouput then i have "progressive". So do you mean i have to go to "filter" - "deinterlace" and then "overwrite input scan to" "top field first" ? Or why do i have to check that ? What does that even mean ?`

When i prefer original framerate, does that mean, that hybrid does automatic interpolation, if the framerate at the end does not match witch the source ? But why does my FPS change actually? Because if i understand correctly, your software says sRestore does not change framerate in default settings ?

Do i have to check the box "bob before" in sRestore? Because my source is not progressive, but i know it is interlaced. That means, because your software say, i can't deinterlace then, i have to encode 2 times. One time for the frame blending and one time for deinterlace. What does "bob" actually mean?

And your software says, i should disable automatic deinterlacing, when i check "bob before". But on "automatic deinerlacing" in filter-deinterlacing it says, i really should not use "none". So what do i have to do ?

Sorry, when i ask so much.

Edit: Or when i could "force" deinterlacing, it should then be progressiv and so i dont have to check the "bob before" box anymore, because when it first deinterlace (and is then progressiv) i should not have to check that, right? so how can i make sure it deinterlace ? jagabo said QTGMC doubles the framerate (why actually, this seems to be bad, if it just duplacte frames because of file size).
    Last edited by Platos; 24th Apr 2023 at 05:54.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hybrid will only deinterlace if the input scan type is not progressive.
    => you need to enable "overwrite input scan to" and set it to "top field first" otherwise, Hybrid will assume the source is progressive if the file tags report this.

When i prefer original framerate, does that mean, that hybrid does automatic interpolation
    This means that Hybrid will prefer the stream over the container tags for the frame rate.

Because if i understand correctly, your software says sRestore does not change framerate in default settings ?
    No, by default, sRestore does change the frame rate to be sure, enable 'Frate'.

Do i have to check the box "bob before" in sRestore?
    No.

jagabo said QTGMC doubles the framerate (why actually, this seems to be bad, if it just duplacte frames because of file size).
    for frame doubling output, you need to enable 'Bob' in the QTGMC settings if you use Hybrid.
    QTGMC should be used in Bob mode if you want to use sRestore after it.

The idea is:
    the interlaced content (25i) gets converted to double frame rate progressive frames (50p) by QTGMC (each field will become one frame) and then sRestore throws frames away to archive the selected (Frate) frame rate while preferring non-blended frames.

In the lower right corner of the Filter-tab you can also open the Avisynth Script View, which shows the generated script.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  16. Ahhh, now i get it. I guess, when i have 2 frame blending in a row, it is a good thing, when i double the frame rate, because then, i will "generate" a "normal/a good" frame between these 2 blending-frames, right? Otherwise the software can't delete this frame, because the other one is also a blendet frame. So maybe... That's my guess because why it works now.

Because i now checked the "bob" box in the deinterlacing tab. And now i have the normal framerate and the outpput has now no blending frames anymore. So that was the "problem". I think, i should not check the "bob" box in deinterlacing, if i do not use sRestore, right ?

Thank you very much for your help and your software.

Next thing i do is upscaling with realCugan.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ahhh, now i get it. I guess, ....
    Simply do not enable sRestore and use the Avisynth Preview to look at the frames that sRestore can choose from.

I think, i should not check the "bob" box in deinterlacing, if i do not use sRestore, right ?
    Like always: it depends
    When you use same-rate deinterlacing, you potentially lose some motion information. If you use double-rate deinterlacing (bobbing) you convert each field into a full frame and thus no motion data is lost. For like older animes&cartoon you often have just 18 or less real frames, then using bobbing only makes sense when your got blends. If your content is clean bobbing content that already has duplicated frames will only create artifacts and add more duplicated frames. On the other hand, if you got a tv capture of sports event you often have motion in each field and bobbing gives you a smoother playback.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have a question again about sRestore Avisynth. I can't get it work on hybrid, that the blendings disappear without loosing framerate.

My source is progressiv and it has frame blending. When i check "frate" on hybrid sRestore-Setting, it does not remove the blending. If i do not check it, it reduces the framerate to the half, what is for sure not a deal.

Can someone tell me, how i can remove it without halve framerate? (actually it's more than halved, becaus source is 25fps and output is half of 23.976- 23.976 would be ok, but i guess the audio is asynchron then). If i use "bob before" in sRestore setting, it will also not work, because then the video gets "speed up" and the audio isn't synct anymore (and even if i change audio-framerate to 23.976 it is not synced. If i check bob before and frate 25fps, it will not remove blending again).

Here is the source (~1min cut): https://uploadnow.io/f/qFf1mYp
    Last edited by Platos; 13th May 2023 at 14:22.
    Quote Quote  
  19. What sRestore (in omode=6) does, is it removes frame to archive a given frame rate while preferring to throwaway blended frames. (in other modes it will replace the blends with duplicates of neighboring frames).
    Since it also adjusts the frame rate accordingly, it should not cause synch issues. (assuming your source is cfr)
    If there are not enough unique (= non-blened) frames to archive your frame rate, you will still have blended frames.
    In this case, sRestore and Hybrid can't really help by itself.
    Your best bet might be to use ExBlend (https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175948) in a custom script or section.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  20. Thanks for answer. I could make it work a little bit. I will describe what i did and what not worked (i used always omode 6):

My source: Progressiv, 25FPS (original from disc). But "original" (so from japan) i believe its 23.976 fps.

- first setting: bob before and no FRate: Blendign frames removed, but output is now like it's speeded up with de-synced audio and frate is 23.976 (doesnt matter if i passthrough audio, reencode or even set 23.976 fps in audio setting).
    - second try: bob before and 25FPS Frate: No removing of blending frames
    - third: No Bob before, 25FPS Frate: no removing again
    - forth: No bob before, no Frate: removing works, but half framerate

The way it worked a little bit: no bob before, set frate to 24.976 (even when source is 25) and now it works (a bit). Frame blending is reduced (but still there) and audio synct.

Do you think i can just run it twice with frate 24.976 or is running sRestore twice a stupid idea? Maybe i also try different settings in omode. Could i combine 2 runs with two different omode setting? First Omode 6 to delete as much as possible blendet frames and then after i can use a omode-setting were it does replace with duplicates of neighboring frames (for example omode 3 sounds good)?

ps. i know tooltips say dont use bob before when source is progressiv, but i had to try all possibilities.

Edit: But it looks now a bit jerky after one run of sRestore in some scenes. Maybe that is just quite shitty, when you have a source with blended frames.
    Last edited by Platos; 13th May 2023 at 16:37.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Okay, I ignore the 'bob before' stuff, since it makes no sense, like the tool-tip mentioned.

Do you think i can just run it twice with frate 24.976 or is running sRestore twice a stupid idea
    Stupid idea.

Could i combine 2 runs with two different omode setting
    In theory: yes
    I probably would, instead, try to:
    a. replace blends with duplicates
    b. replace duplicates through interpolation
    but not sure whether this works properly on anime content with little motion to start.
    Or try ExBlend (not easy to use, but I had some good results with it on cartoon content).

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  22. ExBlend is not going to work for that video. It has way too much blending. Someone took a 24p film source and produced a 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 pulldown interlaced PAL version. That produces a video where there are 12 or 13 progressive frames followed by 13 or 12 interlaced frames, repeating. That interlaced video was then blend deinterlaced. There's no way of fixing it.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th May 2023 at 20:25.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Horrible

Yeah and that's sth you can buy...

Then i have to take another source.
    Quote Quote