VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the year 2007, I recorded my wife's mother 90th birthday using a Sony HDR UX1 on a DVD-R.

The DVD-R was finalized, and MP4 video copies were made.

These videos were about 30 minutes playtime and ended with the 90 year old birthday girl with her cake and a big serenade.
    I still have that MP4 conversion on my computer.

Recently I found this 2007 Birthday DVD-R so I decided I would convert it again, and make some more MP4's.

However, these new MP4"s have the last 3 minutes of the video missing, no birthday cake, no singing.

When playing in Quicktime the old comparing to the new using the same DVD, the new had the last 3 minutes of the video missing.

Somehow that DVD-R, no longer matches the DVD-R that was recorded in 2007.

I have no idea how that information has gone missing.

I used all kinds of apps to inspect the found DVD and the last 3 minutes or so are not on the DVD.

Does anyone have ideas on how this could happen?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried copying the video_ts folder to the computer and confirm it plays as expected in VLC, mpc-hc or some other media player.
    What utilities have you tried?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I played in VLC. I looked at it in Handbrake. I played it on iMac DVD player.

Somehow those last 3 minutes are gone, or they are hidden and the DVD.

When this happened I was using Handbrake to make a new MP4 and I notice that MP4 did not match the MP4 I made in 2007.

This took me by surprise, and I spend a lot of time looking at inspecting the contents of that DVD.

Possible I might be missing something, but how can video disappear from a finalized DVD-R.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could the missing 3 minutes be in a separate session on the disk? It seems unlikely, but have a look at it with
    isobuster, some functionality involves a cost ($$)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    With a disc this old (2007), and depending on many factors, there is the possibility it is in the process of becoming unreadable right now due to degradation of the organic dye.
    The outer areas of the disc (= last couple of minutes) are usually the first to go, so that would be an explanation. Although this should result in errors reported during ripping or copying.

Have a thorough look at the back of the DVD under very good light and pay close attention to whether there are abnormalities in the dye.
    Quote Quote