VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've tried using DVDfab to convert a rip of an 4k Bluray in mkv format with Dolby Vision. I converted it to UHD Bluray but the bluray player only detects HDR10. Is there an other program that can convert the file and keep the Dolby Vision data?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Kallek,
    May I suggest to use TsMuxer the tool will preserve Dolby Vision including HDR10+ metadata streams.
    Link: https://www.videohelp.com/software/tsMuxeR

In output select Blu-ray folder if that doesn't work try as output TS or M2TS muxing. Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dolby Vision will be kept if you rip with MakeMKV. However, elementary layer and baselayer, that are in separate m2ts containers on UHDBD, will be interleaved into one videotrack (STDL - single track, double layer ) for mkv. It's up to a player to handle both the container and the double layer videotrack correctly. As mountainking said, for a UHDBD player there's more chance to compatibility when you'd mux into UHDBD with tsMuxer. Where both layers will be kept in separate m2ts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. When I select bluray as output in tsmuxer I get a warning: Warning! HEVC codec is not standard for BD disks!
    My oppo UHD Player doesn't recognize the output as a Bluray disc.

If I choose AVCHD as output in tsmuxer it is recogniced as a Bluray disc, but I get an error message that the disc can't be read when trying to play it on the oppo.

Both TS and M2TS muxing results in a file that the Oppo can play but without Dolby Vision
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rip your disc as full backup with MakeMKV. The result will be UHDBD folder structure. From that structure, import the proper playlist in tsMuxer and set output as BD(ISO).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Dolby Vision will be kept if you rip with MakeMKV. However, elementary layer and baselayer, that are in separate m2ts containers on UHDBD, will be interleaved into one videotrack (STDL - single track, double layer ) for mkv. It's up to a player to handle both the container and the double layer videotrack correctly. As mountainking said, for a UHDBD player there's more chance to compatibility when you'd mux into UHDBD with tsMuxer. Where both layers will be kept in separate m2ts.
    If you have a DV Profile 7 FEL MKV with an STDL video track, is it possible to convert that back to two separate video tracks, in order to create a BDMV structure? Can tsmuxer do that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure if tsMuxer can de- & remux STDL mkv into DTDL BD directly. Never tried it actually. Why don't you just give it a try and import a STDL mkv into tsMuxer and see what the result is?

I usually work with elementary streams. To de-interleave STDL mkv into BL and (EL+RPU) elementary streams I first demux the mkv with mkvextract (via gMKVExtract GUI) into elementary streams. The resulting videostream still will contain the two layers interleaved. This stream I demux with quietvoid's dovi_tool into BL and (M/FEL + RPU). These can be imported in tsMuxer to create BD.
    Beware that audio and subs in mkv aren't always BD compliant so you may need some conversion before muxing BD.

https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool
    Quote Quote  
  8. @Ennio Thank you, I found quietvoid's dovi_tool and managed to do exactly what you said with mkvextract and tsmuxer.

And indeed to become fully BD compliant I also had to convert the TrueHD audio file (.thd) to include an AC3 core using the eac3to tool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're welcome. Note that, in case the mkv should also carry the original AC-3 track which was embedded in TrueHD, you can merge them back together into "TrueHD+AC3" with thdmerge.exe. It comes with the DGDemux package.

https://www.rationalqm.us/dgdemux/binaries/
    Quote Quote  
  10. @Ennio Thanks for the tip about thdmerge.exe, very useful tool!

One more question: If I have an MKV that has BL+RPU only without the EL, is it also possible to create a BDMV folder with a video track that contains the DV metadata and will be recognized as such by a DV capable blu-ray player?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've never tried so I really couldn't tell.

Thinking from the hip, first off, usually DV BL+RPU in mkv contains RPU profile 8.1. Where RPU from UHDBD is profile 7. I don't know if dovi_tool can convert back to 7.
    And even if possible, you'd somehow have to create a dummy MEL (MEL only holds RPU, there's no additional videodata such as in FEL) to interleave RPU into. As said, on UHDBD the two layers are separately wrapped in m2ts containers. Again, I don't know if this can be done.
    Also, BL can have been recoded, where often black bars have been cropped out. Then a recode will be necessary to a valid UHDBD resolution (first adding back the black bars would be the best way to go) and RPU's L5 values (offset for active area) will have to be adjusted. Which is possible. And should resolution not have been changed, it's still the question if the used encoding parameters are within UHDBD specs.

Maybe your player supports direct playback of a single m2ts file. You can try directly importing a BL+RPU mkv in tsMuxer and mux as m2ts. See if DV will be triggered. As for audio, note that there's no need to embed an AC3 track as you're not bound by BD specs; on itself a standalone m2ts can hold a TrueHD-only track perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Here is a tutorial how to convert a profile 8 MKV back to an UHD structure / ISO with DolbyVision. Make sure you use TSMuxer nightly dated 2023-04-07.

https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/create-dolby-vision-iso-from-a-profile8-bl-rpu-mkv.87159/
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks both. I tried the guide that @Moody_Blues linked to and it seems to work fine for the one movie I tested with.

I'm wondering if the bitrate of the dummy MEL that is created matters much? The author of the guide advises to use about 10% of the size of the original video track.
    Quote Quote  
  14. It doesn't really matter to me. What matters more is the target BD structure you use. Largest is if you convert BL.m2ts to BD100. BD66 should be OK.The resulting ISO size is affected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Moody_Blues

I was not aware of the tutorial, thanks for the link. Could you tell why tsMuxer of that specific date is necessary; does a more recent version not do the job properly?
    Quote Quote  
  16. The 04-13 is the newest. I haven't checked that version yet. All I can say that older versions than 04-07 have issues with some audio tracks especially for demuxing.
    Quote Quote