VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hard to explain this. But rather than living with it as is, the screen shot shows how I'm losing numeric information
    in the start time/duration groupings on screen left center. I have fiddled with sliding things around but the hrs mins sec ms

I tried a couple of things to adjust type sizes in the General Settings to no noticeable effect. Can someone give guidance who is familiar with fine tuning the SE display image so everything is legible. Legible is the key word here. As you can see, the text box displays stuff very small but those time/ duration groupings are much larger. Changing my screen resolution had no effect.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	subtitle edit appearance.png
Views:	52
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	70050  

Quote Quote  
  2. Reset screen scaling to 100%
    Quote Quote  
  3. Enlarge the entire window. Or enlarge the video preview pane (drag/drop the border between the video pane and the other panes).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Reset screen scaling to 100%
    I never heard of screen scaling.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For Windows , I just recalled the magic word 'metrics'. There may be something in that. Metrics is not 'personalization'.
    Access it through the Start > search box.

It could be that the text sizes can be fixed in there but if so that changes settings in everything.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-custom-display-scaling-setting-windows-10
    Quote Quote  
  7. The same thing happens to me when I Tools > Fix common errors...
    After I hit next, the display box at the bottom of the window (fixes window ?) has the duration time arrows overlapping into the text window, covering up the first few characters on the first two lines.

This all started after I went into settings (Windows 10), Ease of Access and dragged the slider on ‘Make text bigger. I didn’t think I made the text that much lager but apparently too large for Subtitle Edit. I also experience your problem if I have both the waveform and video windows open.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I will look up that scaling whatever it is. and Moralez, thanks for confirming there is some sort of problem. The 'Metrics' command is a maze of settings and I know I have used that to get text bigger for instance on the lables for desktop icons.

But I'd like to ask it this way: does anyone have a setup that _does_ show hrs mins secs ms without obstruction in the SEW window? Everything is
    adjustable at the viewer window, text window and wave form. I suppose since the duration digits are within the Waveform section it is a programming problem or a 'metrics' problem. I'm thinking that in this problem changing the size of the numbers may not be enough.

Perhaps everything looks different on the newer LCD screens. Mine are 5 x 4.

My Win7 PCs and Win10 (new install) show the same problem
    Quote Quote  
  9. It looks like I misunderstood what you were complaining about. The problem of text not fitting in dialog elements has many causes. As others have pointed out, using Windows' global scaling feature doesn't work very well. Many programs will screw up unless it's set to 100 percent. Right click on the Desktop and select Display Settings:

[Attachment 70066 - Click to enlarge]

Also, using non standard fonts or font sizes (withing a program or system wide) can give such results. Switch back to all the default fonts and sizes. For example Start -> Settings - Ease of Access -> Display:

[Attachment 70067 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. @Jagabo, Thank you I will see what that does.

Between times I did try some number changes in metrics (Win7) but did not see any result. Those things do work for Icons and spacing and text size for the labels though.

My question stands as to who sees all the duration digits without scrolling back and forth.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Between times I did try some number changes in metrics (Win7) but did not see any result. Those things do work for Icons and spacing and text size for the labels though.
    It works for some things, not for others. I think it works a little better in Win10 than Win 7.

Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    My question stands as to who sees all the duration digits without scrolling back and forth.
    Full HH:MM:SS.MIL is visible here (Win 10):

[Attachment 70068 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    It works for some things, not for others. I think it works a little better in Win10 than Win 7.

Full HH:MM:SS.MIL is visible here (Win 10):

[Attachment 70068 - Click to enlarge]
    Ok.

Yes, Yesterday in going to SE website I saw that the SE image from Nikse shows all the needed digits. They pretty tiny though.

My image on the old KDS CRT looks similar but would there be a setting in screen size for the monitor to help with this? And for Win7? It is not resolution. That just makes the whole image smaller. Expand, contract, use large type, I can't track it all.

On that Display = 100% suggestion, where is that found in Win7?
    My main difficulty is Win7 since that's where I work with Subtitle Edit
    Quote Quote  
  13. looks like a very good tip. I'll try it soon. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-custom-display-scaling-setting-windows-10
    The specific problem PC is obn Win7 Pro 64
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes ok, I'll do that soonest

That looks like a solution.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I did not pursue this much. When I looked at my settings it was already set on the lowest of the three. We can close this.
    Quote Quote