VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all - I searched the forum but every thread I find is 15 years old or more.

In 2023, how can we author a DVD most cheaply? I have not had to do this for a while, but a client requested it and I no longer have any DVD burning software. I do subscribe to Adobe, and use Premiere, but it seems like their old tool for authoring is not supported. Ideally I'd like to do this for free, but have a limited time to solve it.

I have Handbrake, I have Ashampoo at the moment. If someone can point me to some material to help me self-solve this, I'd be most appreciative.

And yes, video editing and production is a bit of a sideline for me, I'm a musician and got into it for editing of band videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you want it very basic without a menu, you can render DVD-compliant elementary streams (MPEG2 video + audio separated) out of Premiere and then use MuxMan to author a DVD structure from that.
    Then use ImgBurn to burn to a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. On Windows? You can do it on Win 10 for free. if you just want to burn a DVD use ImgBurn (also free) as Skiller above suggested.

But you used the word Authoring in your subject title so you will need authoring software especially if you want more control and more features like transitions between scenes.
    Last edited by TreeTops; 28th Mar 2023 at 18:29.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are a number of freeware/shareware apps listed (on this site under Software | Authoring (DVD)), that are still viable. Some are still being updated, but most aren't. For the very simple reason that hardly anybody is needing to do that, and nothing has changed with the spec/technology-wise in a decade.
    Other than those, Cyberlink PowerProducer is still out there, as is TMPEG Author Suite, and probably a few others.

You could also follow this lead if you truly want to utilize Encore: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/installing-encore/m-p/11528191. Following all the steps seems critical, but it does look recently updated and (sort-of) legit.

You can still buy DVD Architect from B&H and a few other places, even though Magix seems to have hidden/dropped it on their own site.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. The last DVD authoring software I used is AVStoDVD , like most itīs no longer updated but it was free and once you got the hang of it, quite easy for making DVDs with simple but customizable menus (if you wanted a menu), and then burn with Imgburn (always used Verbatim discs by the way)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi all - thanks for the quick recommendations. I'm looking to make a traditional DVD that will play automatically when inserted in a DVD player. A menu would be nice, but maybe not completely critical - it's just 5 short videos, home-movie type.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also recommend AVStoDVD. I found it to be relatively easy to use and it works well for DVD authoring with or without a basic menu. I remember that it can re-encode video that is non-compliant to comply with the DVD spec. AVStoDVD may also be able to re-encode audio that is non-compliant but can't remember for certain.

DVDStyler (also free) can create more advanced menus but I found it a little harder to figure out.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. DVDStyler is a great option, and it's free.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd recommend DVDStyler (which is what I personally use for burning DVDs). Plus, it's free.
    Quote Quote