VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I've undergone the massive project of digitizing my family's old VHS tapes. At first I was using an old sony VCR and roxio usb converter. The quality wasn't great but it worked. (It also picked up audio interference from just about any electronic devices that may be nearby) Me being who I am, I want the best quality (within reason) that I can obtain. I was especially having issues with tearing. I upgraded to newly serviced JVC VCR with S-VHS out. and picked up an ADS pyro A/V link after seeing a video where it completely fixed the tearing issues I was having. And it does! The video going into my system looks better than ever BUT it doesn't really work. I have tried multiple methods and nothings seems to work correctly. Everything does show up correctly in the device manager and appears to be working.

Virtualdub will dispaly the video and it can be captured but for some reason it no longer picks up the audio. It worked the very first time I tested it and ever since I can not get any sound.

VLC player actually captures both the video and audio but after recording, the video really doesn't want to play back on anything.

Premier Pro - looked like it was going to do everything I needed except after a random amount of time (usually a few minutes), the whole thing freezes up and nothing will work again until I reboot my system.

WinDV just flat out doesn't see the device

any ides? I feel like I should be able get the quality I want with this setup if I could only get it working.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Give AmarecTV a try.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We need more information. How are you connecting the ADS box to your computer? Via Firewire? In that case, if WinDV doesn't work, try Scenalyzer. I have found WinDV to be flaky on Win 10 (it sometimes works, sometimes not) but Scenalyzer is rock solid.

I have written a Scenalyzer guide here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/158O_LS9Lb2vqEOtLeVyRF0V5_P84aXGH/view?usp=share_link

If you're outputting analogue video from the ADS box to a capture card/digitiser then to the computer, then I'll second Dellsham's suggestion of AmarecTV. It is more robust (and simpler to set up) than VDub for capturing.
    Quote Quote