VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I own a VHS (PAL) Panasonic NV-FJ623 HI-FI with the "Crystal Video Control" (CVC) enhancement feature. From my experience, it works best with LP recordings; the SP recordings tend to be a bit on the soft side.

Is there any way to turn it off and get the video "as is"? A friend of mine lent me his Sony SLV-SX700 HI-FI with its own enhancement feature. However, the SX700 has the ability to turn off that feature in the menus. The results are great!

On the other hand, his SX700 isn't good at playing old mono tracks (it filters low-end audio band whenever it sees fit), whereas my FJ623 does wonders with old mono tracks.

Basically, if my FJ623 could disable CVC, it'd be the best of both worlds for recovering old mono VHS recordings with my ATI USB capture card (the good ones). Is there any way to achieve this?
    Last edited by tugatomsk; 28th Mar 2023 at 14:24.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tugatomsk View Post
    I own a VHS (PAL) Panasonic NV-JF630 HI-FI with the CVC enhancement feature. From my experience, it works best with LP recordings; the SP recordings tend to be a bit on the soft side.

Is there any way to turn it off and get the video "as is"? A friend of mine lent me his Sony SLV-SX700 HI-FI with its own enhancement feature. However, the SX700 has the ability to turn off that feature in the menus. The results are great!

However, his SX700 isn't good at playing old mono tracks (it filters low-end audio band whenever it sees fit), whereas my JF630 does wonders with old mono tracks.

Basically, if my JF630 could disable CVC, it'd be the best of both worlds for recovering old mono VHS recordings with my ATI USB capture card (the good ones). Is there any way to achieve this?
    try here - https://mans.io/files/viewer/49811/9
    under sound system setting. according to this manual - https://manualsdump.com/en/manuals/panasonic-nv-hv61/178733/18
    the CVC is just for optimum picture quality
    Last edited by october262; 27th Mar 2023 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Basically, if my JF630 could disable CVC, it'd be the best of both worlds for recovering old mono VHS recordings with my ATI USB capture card (the good ones). Is there any way to achieve this?
    As last resort you can capture twice the tape with the 2 VCRs and merge audio from JF630 and video from SX700 in post-processing
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    As last resort you can capture twice the tape with the 2 VCRs and merge audio from JF630 and video from SX700 in post-processing
    I had thought of that, but then I realized I'd probably have audio sync issues when merging the JF630 audio with the SX700 video.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a proper workflow and a clean capture it should not happen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    If you have a proper workflow and a clean capture it should not happen
    As per the last pages of this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/403635-Panasonic-DVD-recorder-passthrough-settings...e3#post2666774

I'm using an ATI USB capture drive and Virtualdub 1.9.11 on Windows XP 32bit SP2 on a dual boot system on my i3-2100 PC. The signal is being captured via S-Video using the output of a Panasonic EH50 (with has a good line TBC circuit) which works as a passthrough for my VCRs' SCART output.

As things are, I have no dropped frames and I'm resampling the audio with the video. It's not perfect 1x resample, though, it's like between 0.99997x and 1.00002x resample rate with no sync issues. However, these values fluctuate during the course of the recording session. So, if I were to double record the same tape, it'd be nearly impossible to get the exact same resample values.

This is the best setup that I can afford at the moment. I know I should be using a S-VHS and a proper frame TBC device (which are incredibly expensive and unaffordable to me), but here we are.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    IIRC that VirtualDub option is to realign audio when its capture is made by a different card that the video capturing card (for instance an AIW video capture card and a SB/TB audio capture card).

For devices with integrated audio and video capture, such as ATI USB600, you can give AmarecTV a try (tbh I never used it with Windows XP), and check if the audio is consistenly aligned with the video across different captures, as it should be if there are no dropped/inserted frames.
    Quote Quote