VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have serval videos that have EIA-608 (C608) subtitles and I need to get these subtitles converted to SRT. I initially thought VLC could extract them, as it can see them. I feel like I've come full circle at this point. I just need help. I have attached a screen shot of an example. It should be stream 2 if I'm not mistaken. I've tried CCExtractor, in which It looks like it can see them, but I don't know enough to know how to extract it. I've tried several other software’s out as well, from Hybrid, Handbrake, and MyMP4Box I guess I'm a bit overwhelmed. I can usually get something like this solved on my own, but I'm at a loss. So, I'm asking for help. Anything anyone can do to help that would be appreciate it.

Edit: I really should have mentioned that these subtitles I'm seeing are from DVDs and Blu-rays that I'm playing using VLC. So, I own these DVDs and Blu-rays and I'm wanting to make a backup of them, but in like a MP4 form to carry around and of course to have the subtitles on them.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Media Info.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	69940  

Last edited by jemsick; 14th Sep 2023 at 09:26. Reason: Clarifying content.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use clever Ffmpeg-GUI.
    Load your video, click main, click extract subtitle stream, check the EIA 608 Box and click extract.
    Done.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Closed Captions aren't text, you cannot extract them to a srt you have to OCR them.
    Load them in subtitleedit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Closed Captions are text files,your are thinking of sub/idx which are graphics based.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nilzzon View Post
    Closed Captions aren't text, you cannot extract them to a srt you have to OCR them.
    Load them in subtitleedit.
    The EIA-608 closed captions used in N. America are not transmitted as graphics so they don't have to be OCR'ed to turn them into text. EIA-608 closed captions are transmitted using a code developed for that purpose. They can simply be decoded and transcribed to a timed text format like srt.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote