VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone,

I am hoping for some very noob advice and help for all the experts in VideoHelp land, please. I run a small business where I need to create short (approximately 2-4 minute) videos of my clients reading prompt cards. I would like to do the recording myself, and then have a professional edit the footage (including superimposing a background) and would like some guidance on what basics I need to get this done.

Could people please share their thoughts on the equipment I will need (including potential models), the type of location for good light/sound (ideally in their home), plus any strategies, suggestions or tips to make this process run smoothly? I will only get one chance at this so I really want to get it right the first time. These videos will eventually be uploaded to our website.

Thanks in advance for your time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good camera, good mic. I have a Nikon Z6 with a Deity D3. You can skimp on the camera (trade down to consumer/intro models), but do NOT skimp on the mic! Rode is overrated, I got the Deity on purpose.

Quiet room, no noise.

Good lighting. These are excellent: https://amzn.to/3FDDiIH

Models get expensive quick. Practice on friends and family. Hone your skills, do better, get quicker.

"Superimposing" means green screen. Buy one, light it properly.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. In addition to having separate mike, I'd also suggest to get some basic knowledge about using lights in such cases. Just as an example: https://youtu.be/QNOtkJrr5fU?t=70
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're replacing the background (!) you should bring a portable greenscreen and light it evenly.

Since you're going into people's homes, just find a suitable location and save yourself a lot of grief.
    Quote Quote