VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I backed up a 4K UHD disc (decrypted) with Makemkv, and then burned it to a BD100 disc with ImgBurn. However, this disc can only be played on the computer with vlc media player, but not on the 4K UHD players of Sony and Panasonic. Does anyone know the reason?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moon_light View Post
    I backed up a 4K UHD disc (decrypted) with Makemkv, and then burned it to a BD100 disc with ImgBurn. However, this disc can only be played on the computer with vlc media player, but not on the 4K UHD players of Sony and Panasonic. Does anyone know the reason?
    did you burn the full 100GB disc ?? most players will not read a 100GB burned disc.
    see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/388243-BluRay-Player-with-BDXL-Support
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    I backed up a 4K UHD disc (decrypted) with Makemkv, and then burned it to a BD100 disc with ImgBurn. However, this disc can only be played on the computer with vlc media player, but not on the 4K UHD players of Sony and Panasonic. Does anyone know the reason?
    did you burn the full 100GB disc ?? most players will not read a 100GB burned disc.
    see this thread - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/388243-BluRay-Player-with-BDXL-Support
    But the original disc can be played on Sony and Panasonic players, the original disc is also bd100, and the copy disc (which has been decrypted) cannot be played.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    But the original disc can be played on Sony and Panasonic players, the original disc is also bd100, and the copy disc (which has been decrypted) cannot be played.
    For one thing, only pressed media is covered by the UHD Blu-ray spec. Burned media is also physically different from pressed media and the maximum bitrate supported by burned media is lower.

BD-XL has 3 or 4 layers but most UHD Blu-ray players can only read the first 2 layers (about 60-66 GB) if they read it at all. If you look at your UHD player's manual to see what kinds of burned media are listed as playable, BD-XL will probably not be listed. The supported burned media will all be single-layer or dual-layer.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why do you want to "backup" a 4K disc? The original disc itself is a copy, do you think a burned disc will outlast a pressed disc? Don't waste your money on coasters, from the prices I'm seeing bxdl cost a pretty penny. UHD spec and BD-R/BDXL are quite different and not every player supports all 3, they're not required to.

For those of you who want to author your own 4K video for playback, the BD-R spec has been updated to accommodate 4K video on 25/50/100 GB discs, you should contact the manufacturer of player to find out if they've added the spec to the player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    Why do you want to "backup" a 4K disc? The original disc itself is a copy, do you think a burned disc will outlast a pressed disc? Don't waste your money on coasters, from the prices I'm seeing bxdl cost a pretty penny. UHD spec and BD-R/BDXL are quite different and not every player supports all 3, they're not required to.

For those of you who want to author your own 4K video for playback, the BD-R spec has been updated to accommodate 4K video on 25/50/100 GB discs, you should contact the manufacturer of player to find out if they've added the spec to the player.
    the reallity is, on the Europe and my country, a simple maxell dvd costs around 0.50 € (0.60 USD).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    not sure how that was pertinent, since they weren't talking about DVD media prices, but BD-XL (which are going at ~$10/disc).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim-branded BD-XL 100GB costs about $5.70 (US) per disc when purchased in a pack of 10 so they are not cheap. For comparison, Verbatim-branded BD-R DL 50GB costs about $3.16 (US) per disk, and their BD-R 25GB costs about $1 (US) per disk.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use MakeMKV to make a MKV file of the main movie. Then get a media player and pop the file on a portable hdd. Voila!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    For one thing, only pressed media is covered by the UHD Blu-ray spec. Burned media is also physically different from pressed media and the maximum bitrate supported by burned media is lower.

BD-XL has 3 or 4 layers but most UHD Blu-ray players can only read the first 2 layers (about 60-66 GB) if they read it at all. If you look at your UHD player's manual to see what kinds of burned media are listed as playable, BD-XL will probably not be listed. The supported burned media will all be single-layer or dual-layer.
    Is there any difference between 4K UHD commercial discs and BD100 burning discs? They are all BD100 discs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Use MakeMKV to make a MKV file of the main movie. Then get a media player and pop the file on a portable hdd. Voila!
    I still want to get the full disc content.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Make an ISO of the disc and play it from a hdd or usb stick. It's possible on the 4K UHD players of Sony and Panasonic they have an anti piracy rejection system much like Cinavia, altho that is not use on UHD discs. Also as mentioned

For me I abandoned playing discs a decade ago and transfer either as ISO full disc image or MKV file of the main movie to my NAS. I playback from my NAS over the home network to several media players. My original discs are locked away from sticky fingers and the like.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    not sure how that was pertinent, since they weren't talking about DVD media prices, but BD-XL (which are going at ~$10/disc).

Scott
    well, I dont really use Bluray disks, and my username reveals it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maybe so, but it IS OFF TOPIC. You don't want to be know for threadjacking, do you?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Is there any difference between 4K UHD commercial discs and BD100 burning discs? They are all BD100 discs.
    From a logical, file system point of view, they could be the same. From a physical point of view, they may operate similarly in the player, but they are completely different in construction and how the data gets put onto them (BD ROM vs BD R vs BD RE).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Maybe so, but it IS OFF TOPIC. You don't want to be know for threadjacking, do you?

Scott
    Sorry, I apologise.
    Quote Quote