VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I've been using Staxrip successfully to deinterlace some old avi files before editing in Resolve. I've some more recent HDV footage which is in .m2t files from a Canon HV40 at 1440x1080. What is the ideal format for doing the deinterlace for this source format? I used ProRes MOV files for my avi footage based on a Youtube video recommendation but no doing this for much higher resolution source files generates massive file sizes. Is there any recommendation I should use for target format, without doing much compression before editing? This is for personal/informal use but just trying to do things in a proper way.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've been reviewing this and noticed in Staxrip that the ProRes profile was set to 422 HQ which is probably way overkill for this HDV source footage.

Is there any other format I should be considering as an "editing format" that I can import into Resolve other than ProRes? I will in the end render to H264/265 mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could use Prores Standard, or LT (light) if you wanted smaller filesizes / lower quality
    Quote Quote  
  4. I will explore the different options with ProRes. Is ProRes the best option I should use for an intermediate format?

I'm also capturing a lot of analog into HuffYUV encoded avi files. I'm assuming I cannot deinterlace and output to this same format, so should I consider anything other than ProRes to import into my editing software?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Resolve is incompatible with "AVI" formats like huffyuv. Prores is good in terms of compatibility for Resolve, and you can choose the quality level with the profiles
    Quote Quote  
  6. Great, thanks.

Any benefits of looking at Hybrid over Staxrip?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Traderbam View Post

Any benefits of looking at Hybrid over Staxrip?
    Not sure, I don't really use either - I use the backend tools directly like avisynth, vapoursynth, ffmpeg

It sounds like you're trying to deinterlace the HDV (probably with QTGMC ?) , then import into Resolve ? They should be both ok for that task
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, my sources will be either M2T HDV or Huffyuv AVI, will deinterlace, crop, add borders, denoise and whatever else with some of these tools, then import that file into Resolve and then deliver to something like H265 MP4 for YouTube mostly. Still learning and trying to nail down the workflow.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Another question on this process... Staxrip used to deinterlace HDV m2t files from an HV40 camera. The only action set up in Staxrip is the deinterlace. I notice that the audio format is set to mp2 by default - this doesn't give me any audio in Resolve. It is fine playing the files in something like VLC player.

After loading my file this is what I see in the audio section:
    MP2 2ch 48kHz 384Kbps (File-0047 PID 814 L2 2ch 48 384 DELAY 0ms.mp2)

What is the rationale behind the mp2 default here, and should I be changing this to a different format like aac or mp3 in the options?

If I leave things as per default I see the following in mediainfo...

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt 0000.02 (qt )
    File size : 2.10 GiB
    Duration : 1 min 44 s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 172 Mb/s
    Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
    Writing application : Lavf59.20.101

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : ProRes
    Format version : Version 0
    Format profile : 422
    Codec ID : apcn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 172 Mb/s
    Width : 1 440 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 2.208
    Stream size : 2.09 GiB (100%)
    Writing library : fmpg

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : .mp2
    Codec ID : .mp2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Stream size : 4.80 MiB (0%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's probably stream copying the original audio . You should use uncompressed audio in MOV for Resolve
    Quote Quote