VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just ripped a DVD which I've purchased and found a section of jerky/stuttering movement. There are other parts exhibiting a similar effect. It was particularly bad on one of my LG TVs, and can just make it out in VLC Player, but on my other LG TV, no problems, at least as far as I could see. So I'm not sure if it's a problem with the structure of the video, or just the high bitrate playing it with an external SSD drive.

I did deinterlace it with VDub Yadif and double FR, then encoded it to H264 and I "suspect " I fixed it (although I don't have immediate access to the bad TV).

Could I please have the opinions of the experts about whether there's something wrong with the file or whether it is just my TV that can't hack the pace.

Thanks a lot.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am not an expert, but at a first glance I can't find anything unusual with the file. It's just encoded as interlaced (DVD source), which may trigger the (poor?) deinterlacer of the TV?
    Any particular frames which play jerky on that TV? What application did remux it to mpg?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, it's 25p frames encoded as 25i. The motion is normal for 25p. Does the attached 25p AVC video play any smoother? It should be the same.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Sharc, the man pauses about 3 times as he's walking right to left, only for a couple of frames-worth each time; very quick but quite noticeable and annoying (to me, at least!) on one of the TVs. I couldn't see anything wrong stepping through the video in AVIDemux; VDub2 shows ugly grey frames/blotches, but it seems to do that with many MPEGs.

I used DVDShrink to rip it (no compression) to a single large VOB and AVIDemux to lossless-copy the VOB to MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I streamed it to my TV and it plays as smooth as silk ....... (well, as much as you can expect from 25fps). So nothing unusual.
    Last edited by Sharc; 12th Mar 2023 at 08:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    Yes, it's 25p frames encoded as 25i. The motion is normal for 25p. Does the attached 25p AVC video play any smoother? It should be the same.
    That seems the same as mine. I'm seeing it when I hold down the right arrow key in AVIDemux, which looks like it plays at just slightly normal speed. I'm getting a slight stuttering in your file too.

My AVIDemux technique doesn't work with my double frame rate effort; too many frames to pick the pausing.

Thanks Sharc, as mentioned, it is quite noticeable on only one TV which was the one I was watching on holiday. Perhaps it was the TV deinterlacer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    Yes, it's 25p frames encoded as 25i. The motion is normal for 25p. Does the attached 25p AVC video play any smoother? It should be the same.
    That seems the same as mine. I'm seeing it when I hold down the right arrow key in AVIDemux, which looks like it plays at just slightly normal speed. I'm getting a slight stuttering in your file too.
    That's not a reliable method of testing for smoothness of motion. Especially when gated by the repeat rate of the keyboard.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Jabago, fair enough.

I won't have access to the problem TV for a few weeks so I'll have to bide my time. I'll definitely take all these variations to try though.

Out of interest, what was your technique for converting back that video back to Progressive? I ended up doing the whole video, as there were other parts with the same pausing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    what was your technique for converting back that video back to Progressive?
    The frames were already progressive so I just encoded progressive. I don't know if the rest of your video is the same.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What was that Tv's monitor refresh rate? 60Hz? Has it been forced to 24Hz (film mode or similar)? If the monitor refresh rate is not an integer multiple of the video framerate one will see some judder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Sharc, It's a bog-standard TV, field refresh rate 100hz, not adjustable AFAIK.

@Jagabo, what technique do you use to determine it's Progressive? I'm curious for next time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    ....what technique do you use to determine it's Progressive? I'm curious for next time.
    Separating the fields, and stepping through the fields. See for example here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/407467-Vhs-capture-advice/page13#post2682974

It can also been done in VirtualDub:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/407467-Vhs-capture-advice/page14#post2683048
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    @Sharc, It's a bog-standard TV, field refresh rate 100hz, not adjustable AFAIK.
    Ok. TV's have a lot of settings, and occasionally they should be reset to their defaults, and be consciously re-adjusted from scratch.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Sharc, thanks, I see the separate fields in VDub.
    Quote Quote  
  16. You don't need to separate fields in this case. Just open the video and look at the frames. There are no interlace comb artifacts where there is motion. So it's progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, of course! Forgot about that bit...
    Quote Quote