VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Why my Lg oled TV (2016) doesn't properly read mkv files from an external Hard Disk anymore? Several mkv videos, along the whole video, get stuck for a few seconds, then I get a halo/drop of pixels, like a pixels waterfall before the video continues. I tried using an external media player (MYPIN 4k video player) but the problem persists (minus the pixels halo). Even VLC on my Mac has troubles playing (not all but some) of these mkvs. For the record: the mkvs are movies and tv series I get from torrents. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sound like a dying external hdd,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by akira0 View Post
    For the record: the mkvs are movies and tv series I get from torrents.
    Goodbye.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    for hetch54, not every torrent is illegal.

Actually the external hdd is brand new...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New or old, any storage device can have issues. Check SMART on your drive. If you're on Windows, I recommend CrystalDiskInfo. If anything is yellow or red, your drive is bad and prepare a replacement.

Read the manual for what types of videos are supported by your TV. Container (e.g. .MP4, .MKV, AVI, etc.) is unlikely the issue in your case since the videos play, but format, video/audio is probably your issue. The built in media player, no matter how expensive the TV, is very limited compared to an external player.

Check and compare the video/audio format of your bad files against ones that play correctly. If you're lucky, it may just be incompatible audio.

Ultimately the best answer is to get a $50-100 external media player like an Android box* that will play many more files than any built-in media player.

*Here's a good thread about Android boxes https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/386414-Android-Box
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your reply!
    After several attempts I realized that some videos got somehow damaged in the transfer/copy from my iMac to the external hard disk.
    Mkv videos that would play well and smoothly in VLC on my mac, would not anymore after I pasted them in the hdd, and I played them with the same computer (iMac) and software (VLC) but wouldn't work properly (either they get frozen, hiccup, pixels dropping or VLC would crash), so I guess the issue is from one device to another, some datas get lost in the transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good to hear you solved the issue.

I don't know what software to use on a Mac, but always verify your copy after you're done.
    Quote Quote