VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I have large external drive on which I store my digital media and host my Jellyfin server, and lately the strangest thing has been happening. My Mac (desktop, running High Sierra) random turns itself off after 30-60min, but only when I my external drive is plugged in. If I'm not doing anything with the drive and Jellyfin it won't shut itself down. I checked my settings and the computer isn't set to power off after a set time or time allotment. I thought maybe the USB port in the front of the desktop was too weak and may be the culprit so I started using one of the USB ports in the back of the desktop tower, but it didn't solve my problem.

What is causing this and what can I do to fix it? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    So I have large external drive on which I store my digital media and host my Jellyfin server, and lately the strangest thing has been happening. My Mac (desktop, running High Sierra) random turns itself off after 30-60min, but only when I my external drive is plugged in. If I'm not doing anything with the drive and Jellyfin it won't shut itself down. I checked my settings and the computer isn't set to power off after a set time or time allotment. I thought maybe the USB port in the front of the desktop was too weak and may be the culprit so I started using one of the USB ports in the back of the desktop tower, but it didn't solve my problem.

does your external drive have something for a external power supply ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    So I have large external drive on which I store my digital media and host my Jellyfin server, and lately the strangest thing has been happening. My Mac (desktop, running High Sierra) random turns itself off after 30-60min, but only when I my external drive is plugged in. If I'm not doing anything with the drive and Jellyfin it won't shut itself down. I checked my settings and the computer isn't set to power off after a set time or time allotment. I thought maybe the USB port in the front of the desktop was too weak and may be the culprit so I started using one of the USB ports in the back of the desktop tower, but it didn't solve my problem.

Yes, it has a standard power cord that plugs into my battery backup.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your battery backup isn't working as good as before and your system runs out of power.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post

Yes, it has a standard power cord that plugs into my battery backup.
    is the external drive a SSD or a spinner HDD ??
    is the external drive in an enclosure ?
    Quote Quote