VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I have dozens of Hi8 video tapes that need to be digitized, most are 120 minutes, how much hard drive space will each Hi8 tape take for the full two hours ?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Losslessly compressed NTSC AVI 4:2:2 and 24bit audio is about 23GB an hour.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lossless.png
Views:	43
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	69618  

Quote Quote  
  3. So is Hi8 recorded at NTSC AVI 4:2:2 and 24 bit audio on the camcorder ? What is the next best lossy video and audio to use, and where is that screenshot from ?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't know, What color format your tapes are? NTSC, PAL, SECAM? For the same color format, Hi8, V8, VHS, S-VHS and many more are all the same after being captured.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by seskanda View Post
    So is Hi8 recorded at NTSC AVI 4:2:2 and 24 bit audio on the camcorder ?
    No, it is analog video and audio (although depending on the camcorder/deck model you may have digital PCM audio).

Originally Posted by seskanda View Post
    What is the next best lossy video and audio to use
    It is up for you to decide. For reference, DVD-Video is up to 10 Mbit/s overall data rate, video and audio combined. Do DVDs look good enough for you? Granted, professionally shot and edited movies are usually cleaner than home videos, so easier to compress. Using AVC instead of MPEG-2 allows to halve the bitrate. Using HEVC allows to get down to one quarter of DVD video bitrate.

DV video is about 29 Mbit/s overall. Broadcast-quality HD video must be at least 50 Mbit/s 4:2:2.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well I'm in USA, so it must be NTSC as PAL and SECAM is not used here if I'm not mistaken. One Hi8 tape is Sony MP120 recorded on Sony TRV-318. What is the next best lossy video and audio to use, and where is that screenshot from ?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Capture lossless, then encode to h.264. Don't worry about the screenshot, it's just MediaInfo examining one of my lossless files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    No, it is analog video and audio (although depending on the camcorder/deck model you may have digital PCM audio).
    I see and what format is the analog video and audio and the best digital capture of it , my camcorder is Sony TRV-318 does that use digital PCM audio ?

Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    It is up for you to decide. For reference, DVD-Video is up to 10 Mbit/s overall data rate, video and audio combined. Do DVDs look good enough for you? Granted, professionally shot and edited movies are usually cleaner than home videos, so easier to compress. Using AVC instead of MPEG-2 allows to halve the bitrate. Using HEVC allows to get down to one quarter of DVD video bitrate.

DV video is about 29 Mbit/s overall. Broadcast-quality HD video must be at least 50 Mbit/s 4:2:2.
    I like to keep it close to original. What is overall data rate of the video and audio for a Hi8 tape ? Depends on if the quality is less than a Hi8 video tape. Yes not sure what makes the professional and edited movie so clean, crisp, and easy to edit it. Well both AVC and especially HEVC seem a bit too compressed and looks like will effect the overall condition of the transfer then.

It looks like DVD-Video is many times lower quality than DV Video and Broadcast-quality HD Video

How to capture lossless ? By encode do you mean convert to h.264 ? Sure it did confuse me a bit, but nice to know is from MediaInfo.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  9. You are at the very tip of the massive analog capture workflow iceberg. I suggest you spend a few weeks searching in here to see what all is involved. Or just grab a camcorder with firewire and call it a day.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes I have a Diamond VC500 USB capture card and the quality is not good when transferring my Hi8 tapes. So far it looks like analog tapes (Hi8 and VHS) need an external, full frame TBC, but that is costly and hard to find. Can I go anywhere to borrow or use one of these ? I did that and the Hi8 tapes look choppy.
    Last edited by seskanda; 9th Mar 2023 at 12:38.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Post a video sample from your capture so we can take a look at.
    Quote Quote  
  12. How long a video sample is good and what will you look for ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    As long as it is less than 500MB which is the upload limit here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sure I will try that soon so what will you look for in the video sample ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something showing steady movement; well lit, vertical edges
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seskanda
    what will you look for in the video sample
    All sorts of things: image stability, colours, artifacts. the experts here are very good at finding what's wrong and suggesting fixes to improve your capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I assumed you needed help when you said:
    Yes I have a Diamond VC500 USB capture card and the quality is not good when transferring my Hi8 tapes
    the Hi8 tapes look choppy.
    That's why I asked for a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  18. That's the issue does not look like steady movement, what do you mean by vertical edges ?

Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    All sorts of things: image stability, colours, artifacts. the experts here are very good at finding what's wrong and suggesting fixes to improve your capturing.
    Not sure of image stability, but the colours look fine, and no artifacts. Yes I hope that is the case and that will help me out I'm trying to put something on here.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I assumed you needed help when you said:
    That's why I asked for a sample.
    Yes and I like to know what is it you will look for in a video sample and how to get or use an external, frame TBC ?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Read post #17 again.
    Quote Quote  
  20. What is in post #17 ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Since you need trolling more than help, I'm out.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I ask what you will look for in video sample that is not is trolling
    Quote Quote  
  23. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I ask what you will look for in video sample that is not is trolling
    It seems so.

You have been asked several times to upload a sample, if you want help. Just do it, instead of asking questions about what we'll be looking for. (And BTW you already had an answer)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by lollo View Post

It seems so.

You have been asked several times to upload a sample, if you want help. Just do it, instead of asking questions about what we'll be looking for. (And BTW you already had an answer)
    I hope not

Sure I will upload something but it takes time need to find the right clip. I just want to know what to look for in the video sample that is all. (Yes but not from the person who asked me).
    Quote Quote  
  25. So far I'm not able to upload anything on here, it's not working, and will not attach no matter what I try. Where can I find an external, frame TBC or somewhere to borrow or use that ?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seskanda
    So far I'm not able to upload anything on here, it's not working, and will not attach no matter what I try.
    Just under the "Quick Reply" window, click Upload Files/Manage Attachments.

In the window that pops up top left of the screen, click Choose file and browse to the file you want to upload then click OK (note the size limits in the table at the bottom of the window).

You'll get taken back to the small Upload files window and your selected file will be visible next to the first "Choose files button.

Click Upload, and wait until the file appears in the Current Attachments area of the Upload files window.

At the bottom, click Close this window

Back on the main message window, click on Advanced (bottom right) and you'll see your attached files.

Finish off your post, then click Submit Reply. Your attachments will appear at the bottom of your post.

If you're posting straights images eg JPEGs, you can avoid all of the hoo-har and use the "Upload Image" button at the top of the message window.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Just under the "Quick Reply" window, click Upload Files/Manage Attachments.

In the window that pops up top left of the screen, click Choose file and browse to the file you want to upload then click OK (note the size limits in the table at the bottom of the window).

You'll get taken back to the small Upload files window and your selected file will be visible next to the first "Choose files button.

Click Upload, and wait until the file appears in the Current Attachments area of the Upload files window.

At the bottom, click Close this window

Back on the main message window, click on Advanced (bottom right) and you'll see your attached files.

Finish off your post, then click Submit Reply. Your attachments will appear at the bottom of your post.

If you're posting straights images eg JPEGs, you can avoid all of the hoo-har and use the "Upload Image" button at the top of the message window.
    Yes I did all of this, but is still not working as nothing ever gets attached. Will try to "Upload Files from a Website" and see if that works. For now, can someone tell me how to borrow or use an external, frame TBC ?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote