VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello, I have been looking for the best MPEG2 encoder to pass all my avi tapes to mpeg2 interlaced, I hope you can help me, thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Free or paid? What does "best" mean to you? (You could also ask for the "best" car).
    - HCEnc is free and very good
    - ffmepg is also free
    - Cinemacraft encoder (used to be payware). Not sure where to buy it nowadays.
    - Canopus Procoder was very good as well (payware). It's now Grass Valley AFAIK
    - MainConcept (payware)

etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MainConcept is generally considered the best but is expensive, HC Encoder is probably the best free one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Free or paid? What does "best" mean to you? (You could also ask for the "best" car).
    - ffmepg is also free
    - MainConcept (payware)

etc.
    I have been ussing ffmpeg but it separates the audio track from the video, so when I go to encode, it leaves me a file without audio
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    MainConcept is generally considered the best but is expensive, HC Encoder is probably the best free one.
    I have been testing HC and has been hard to me to use this software, I dont know how to add the avi file into the software
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Free or paid? What does "best" mean to you? (You could also ask for the "best" car).
    - ffmepg is also free
    - MainConcept (payware)

etc.
    I have been ussing ffmpeg but it separates the audio track from the video, so when I go to encode, it leaves me a file without audio
    You need to remux the encoded video and audio. Try something like
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -top 1 -i "your.avi" -c:v mpeg2video -b:v 7000k -maxrate 8000k -bf 2 -b_strategy 2 -mpeg_quant 1 -mbd rd -trellis 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -mpv_flags qp_rd -flags +ilme+ildct -top 1 -c:a ac3 -sn "your_output.mpg"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HCenc requires Avisynth to be installed; the avi file is opened via an Avisynth script.
    Use AVStoDVD, it sets it all up for you
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post
    Originally Posted by zing269 View Post
    I have been testing HC and has been hard to me to use this software, I dont know how to add the avi file into the software
    HC needs an avisynth script (*.avs) as input.

Maybe for your purpose it is better you try Avidemux
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD is better for beginners. It sets it all up for you. The resolution, frame rate, cropping, proper bitrate, etc.
    All you have do is set your NTSC/ PAL setting in the preferences.
    Last edited by davexnet; 5th Mar 2023 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post

I managed to open the avisynth scrip into the HC, but I cant encode to MPEG2, only m2v, how I can change into mpeg2 to encode?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post

I managed to open the avisynth scrip into the HC, but I cant encode to MPEG2, only m2v, how I can change into mpeg2 to encode?
    m2v is the video elementary stream of mpeg2. HC is a video encoder only. Now you would have to remux the m2v with the audio using a mpeg2 muxer. But as davexnet wrote it is probably easier for yo to try AVS2DVD (or perhaps Avidemux).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    AVStoDVD is better for beginners. It sets it all up for you. The resolution, frame rate, cropping, proper bitrate, etc.
    I'm trying this one, this encode into MPEG or into DVD VOB Files?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by FelipeArchives View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You have the choice via the menu, mpeg2 elementary (=m2v), or mpeg2 muxed, or DVD structure (VOB), and burn to DVD disc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    You have the choice via the menu, mpeg2 elementary (=m2v), or mpeg2 muxed, or DVD structure.
    so is not possible mpg one?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Why don't you just try and see yourself what you get. You seem not to be clear what you really need.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Why don't you just try and see yourself what you get. You seem not to be clear what you really need.
    I did and I get only m2v file, I want keep my archives in MPG
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The default in A2D is the video_ts folder (DVD structure)
    The other choices are available via the Output button up top
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Why don't you just try and see yourself what you get. You seem not to be clear what you really need.
    I did and I get only m2v file, I want keep my archives in MPG
    But you know it won't be optimal quality?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I did everything and I liked the results, only last question I have, is possible to cut the video in this software to select where I want it starts? or how I can do that? thanks again for your help my friend, I appreciate
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did everything and I liked the results, only last question I have, is possible to cut the video in this software to select where I want it starts? or how I can do that? thanks again for your help my friend, I appreciate
    Yes it can be done.
    Preview the output (title/preview)
    drag the pointer to your start location and make a note of the frame number (bottom left).
    Then drag it to the ending location and record the frame number, close the preview

title/edit/Avisynth tab - deselect auto Avisynth script
    Select trim and enter the start frame number (press enter) .
    Enter the end frame number.
    OK out.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Yes it can be done.
    drag the pointer to your start location and make a note of the frame number (bottom left).
    Then drag it to the ending location and record the frame number, close the preview

OK out.
    Thank you so much for your help!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Yes it can be done.

OK out.
    Much simpler with Avidemux, btw.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Absolutely.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Avidemux have a filter or mechanism to apply the pulldown in case of 23.976 fps source?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Does Avidemux have a filter or mechanism to apply the pulldown in case of 23.976 fps source?
    The OP wrote that his .avi are from tapes and he wants to encode as interlaced mpeg2, so his sources are probbly 29.97(aka 30) interlaced frames per second, means 59.94 (aka 60) fields per second, NTSC. Why should he need pulldown?
    Maybe other options are more important for him like encoding to mpeg4/mp4 for archiving, rather than the legacy mpeg2, but it's up to the OP of course, he certainly has his reasons.
    Anyway, from what I concluded he wants to encode to .mpg and trim, but soon he may develop more appetite so I thought Avidemux is a valid option to him. Just as an alternative to AVS2DVD which is no longer actively developped it seems (doesn't mean it's obsolete, of course). Still very useful for creating DVDs (even with menus), or simply encode to mpeg2.
    Last edited by Sharc; 6th Mar 2023 at 07:07. Reason: typos
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Yes it can be done.

OK out.
    does the preview have to be from avisynth? because the preview I have is from media player
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Yes it can be done.

OK out.
    with avidemux how I can select the best method to mpg? you have some rules to follow? I want test avidemux , thank you so much for your help my friend
    Quote Quote  
  28. Something like this for interlaced mpg.
    For loading your avi you can just drag and drop the avi file onto the Avidemux window.
    I am sure you'll find your way with a little bit of exercise.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-06 163355.png
Views:	49
Size:	576.7 KB
ID:	69609  

Last edited by Sharc; 6th Mar 2023 at 09:44.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Something like this for interlaced mpg.
    For loading your avi you can just drag and drop the avi file onto the Avidemux window.
    I am sure you'll find your way with a little bit of exercise.
    when I want to deinterlace the file with the player I get this lines
    [Attachment 69610 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  30. Which player? Does the player deinterlace at all? It looks to me like you (or your player) resized the interlaced video vertically.
    You must never resize an interlaced video. That's just basics. It is not the fault of Avidemux or AVS2DVD.

How does it look on your TV?
    Last edited by Sharc; 6th Mar 2023 at 12:44.
    Quote Quote