VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm ingesting old VHS tapes to my 2012 iMac via Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle.

I'm getting decent quality except I've noticed a lot of diagonal, moving striations. They're most visible over solid colors. Here's a small sample: https://vimeo.com/804117155/c252db4dbb

I'm using a Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U as my primary deck, it's going out via SVHS to a Panasonic DMRM-ES35V, which is used as a passthrough, otherwise the Intensity Shuttle drops frames like crazy. My cables are all shielded.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this and if I can clean it up at all?

Appreciate any help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Experiment: ditch the Hd2000U and try running the tapes in the ES-35. You'll still get the TBC benefit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great suggestion. Looks like the striations are the same or even a bit worse just running through the ES-35.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bummer. At least you know the Mitsi is OK. Try plugging Mitsi into the TV direct. That will confirm the tapes are OK or not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ChrisStout View Post
    Any thoughts... if I can clean it up at all?
    Yes, but you need to supply a clip with real video content. Many things one might to do to eliminate that noise from your all black video will destroy real video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I suspect something's wrong with either your cable or the s-video port ( bad soldering, loose pins). Other possibility : try to disable wifi if your vcr is close to the router
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    themaster1, I think you're right. The problem largely went away when I swapped the new "fancy" gold/shielded cable with my old regular s-video cable on the ES35.

It came back when I needed to use one of the new cables from the Mitsu to the Panasonic. So I'm thinking both new cables are just problematic.

Just ordered a new set. Will update you on results. Appreciate your help!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    When buying analog cables don't be fooled by the thickness, the fancy look or the high price, You want cables with coax core that are shielded to standard 75 ohms, The only way to be sure is to buy brand name old stock cables the likes of Monster cable or just use the cables that came with those devices back in the day.
    Quote Quote