VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi there,i have an old sony TR45E Video8 handycam. i want to transfer to the pc.
    i have tried before using a capture card,but the picture would appear on screen for few seconds then dissapear.
    i havent tried in a few years(spent ages trying to figure out how to do it) gave up.
    i have decided to try again.
    i have bought a HDMI2 AV upscaler(seen some dude on youtube transferring from vhs recorder to pc)it has the yellow red and white connections on one end and hdmi on the other.
    my camcorder only has only got a yellow and black rca/phono(or whatever they called) out on it.
    If someone could advise how i can go about this.
    can someone recommend software that will do the job also?
    Hopefully i get it sorted this time
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    You can split mono audio electrically, with an Y-cable. Or you can capture a single channel and later either convert it to mono or duplicate it to both channels programmatically.

So, you got composite-to-HDMI converter? Does your computer have HDMI input?

You should not buy things some dudes on YouTube use until you figure out the complete workflow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 8mmthebest View Post
    (seen some dude on youtube transferring from vhs recorder to pc)it has the yellow red and white connections on one end and hdmi on the other.
    That guy is a low-knowledge moron that misleads newbies with misinformation and myths. He doesn't know much about video whatsoever. Not just on video, but much of his channel is nonsense. If you're a newbie, you get suckered by it.

Look closer at his samples. The color, aspect, interlace, etc -- it's all royally screwed up. It's "a picture", but one that has been distorted, massive quality loss.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have an adapter,it's a y adapter,1 phono male to 2 phono female.
    Is that what Ur thinking when u say y cable?

What video is that other reply talking about?
    Quote Quote  
  5. And yes I have composite to hdmi converter,and there is a hdmi socket in my pc
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    I have an adapter,it's a y adapter,1 phono male to 2 phono female.
    Is that what Ur thinking when u say y cable?
    You have mono RCA female output on the camcorder, you have two-channel RCA input female on the box.

OR, you may want to use a standard 2-channel RCA cable with male connectors on both ends. Up to you.

And yes I have composite to hdmi converter,and there is a hdmi socket in my pc
    Is it an HDMI input?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Just use the recommended USB capture devices here, not many of them but they do work on most of OS platforms, HDMI route is not a proper way of capturing analog video and those lousy chinese analog to HDMI converters are made to make a quick $4 profit not to give you quality video for your precious memories. The HDMI port on your computer is most likely an output.
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks for replies.
    yes probably is hdmi output,never thought of that.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280902805696?hash=item41671ca8c0:g:lMgAAOSwX3BfHr5E

i have one of these adapters,will that work? or am i better buying the cable?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for replies.

I have this HDMI capture device, it seems to come in several versions. Transfer to PC via USB2 (MJPG). It drops frames, the copied video has a different length each time. Your choice, I do not recommend
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    thanks for replies.

You should know better will it work or not. Some camcorders have the outputs recessed and tightly arranged that this may not fit. Here is a novel idea: why would not you try it? If you were wondering whether a small adapter is any different electrically from an adapter with flexible cables, it is not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. hi guys im back to torture you lot again.
    i was off for a week when i started this post,havent got round to trying anything yet.
    im off next week so gonna get my finger out and try something.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234555729180?hash=item369c9c651c:g:AcUAAOSwDNBhTr2w
    this capture device(this kind of)am i probably wasting my time buying it?
    i dont need the quality to be top rate.im just loooking to transfer an 8mm 1 hour tape to pc.
    i could leave the tape in with someone and get it done,but i dont like things like this to beat me.
    please go easy on me,as i can hear the knives sharpening already hehe
    Last edited by 8mmthebest; 13th Mar 2023 at 07:35.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    hi guys im back to torture you lot again.
    i was off for a week when i started this post,havent got round to trying anything yet.

this capture device(this kind of)am i probably wasting my tome buying it?
    i dont need the quality to be top rate.im just loooking to transfer an 8mm 1 hour tape to pc.
    i could leave the tape in with someone and get it done,but i dont like things like this to beat me.
    1. Read post #9.
    2. Get a DVD-Recorder, the quality will be sufficient. Certainly better than what you want to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  13. thanks for reply,i have a dvd recorder,just id like to have it saved as a file on pc.
    transferring from dvd to pc is another torture session.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    thanks for reply,i have a dvd recorder,just id like to have it saved as a file on pc.
    transferring from dvd to pc is another torture session.
    VOB2MPG and you get the original mpg file.
    You can also import the DVD into editing programs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    hi guys im back to torture you lot again.

this capture device(this kind of)am i probably wasting my tome buying it?
    1. Read post #9.
    2. Get a DVD-Recorder, the quality will be sufficient. Certainly better than what you want to buy.
    hi again,the saga continues.
    i got an s video cable and have the dvd/video recorder hooked up to tv.
    if i play back a dvd or video the picture and sound is fine,but when i hook up the 8mm camera to the input at front of dvd recorder the picture is a bit wavy. hard to describe,can see part of picture ok,but like a wavy part goinf across screen.
    if i look through the viewfinder on camera when playing back the picture is fine.
    any clues?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    What DVD recorder model? Not all DVD recorders work, only certain models that known to stabilize the video, A video sample may help your case.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    The camera only has svhs output?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    The camera only has svhs output?
    the camera does not have svhs it has yellow rca video and black rca audio im sure rca isnt correct terminology but u know what i mean.

the model of recorder is
    daewoo DF 4150P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess is, this combo has no digitizing friendly features in passthrough mode, but you could try something anyway.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 22nd Mar 2023 at 10:08.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    8mmthebest has another thread with pictures of the front and back of the DVD/VHS recorder he bought: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/408940-component-cable-for-dvd-recorder. It shows that the DVD/VHS recorder has component video out, SCART out, and a mini-DIN for S-Video out but no composite video out connections.

8mmthebest's TV apparently has a composite video connection and SCART, but no component video connections or S-Video connections. Using SCART did not provide accurate colors. 8mmthebest didn't mention HDMI.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Mar 2023 at 18:09.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check all menu's from both devices > combo/vcr/dvd set to the correct output & mode, also the tv should been set to the correct input with a good SCART cable in between this should work. when present.
    an all SCART option would be nice….
    danger of the SCART to RCA cable is: is it an input or output cable ?….. A SCART-RCA adapter plug with in/out switch is a safe bet option, (has also s-video in/out most of the time)
    [Attachment 69858 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 22nd Mar 2023 at 10:11.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    check all menu's from both devices > combo/vcr/dvd set to the correct output & mode, also the tv should been set to the correct input with a good SCART cable in between this should work. when present.
    RGB and component is switchable in the menu of the combo, depending on connection type of tv, all SCART would be nice….
    danger of the SCART to RCA cable is: is it an input or output cable ?….. A SCART-RCA adapter plug with in/out switch is a safe bet option, (has also s-video in/out most of the time)
    [Attachment 69858 - Click to enlarge]
    Many/most S-Video to composite adapters/cables are advertised as bi-directional.

If I remember correctly, the switch on those SCART converters changes the pins that the adapter connects to on the SCART side to in or out.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th Mar 2023 at 20:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They should not normally be considered bidirectional, though.

S-video (Y/C) can be combined easily to create composite. It can be done with a simple passive summing circuit.
    Going from composite to Y/C requires separation of a combined signal into its constituents, and because the overlap in their bands, the methods useds must be more advanced - 2D or 3D comb filtering, or at least bandpass filtering - and to do those correctly requires an active device.

Component & SCART would have similar issues, or more, with composite.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many/most S-Video to composite adapters/cables are advertised as bi-directional.
    The way I'm reading this, this hasn't been raised as an issue.

This is the issue Eric raised (which is worked-around by the adapter he showed):
    all SCART would be nice…. danger of the SCART to RCA cable is: is it an input or output cable ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correct, if there is no switch present on the SCART to RCA cable there should be both input and output cables hanging out of the SCART plug, but that would be a big bundle, or low quality thin wires with shielding, if at all…..
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    They should not normally be considered bidirectional, though.

S-video (Y/C) can be combined easily to create composite. It can be done with a simple passive summing circuit.
    Going from composite to Y/C requires separation of a combined signal into its constituents, and because the overlap in their bands, the methods useds must be more advanced - 2D or 3D comb filtering, or at least bandpass filtering - and to do those correctly requires an active device.

Component & SCART would have similar issues, or more, with composite.

Scott
    That makes sense.

S-Video connections are less common on TVs than composite video connections. ...so, I suspect that 90% of those who buy one of these adapters want composite out from S-video in, as 8mmthebest does. One of the S-Video to composite adapters I linked to in my post specifically mentions a circuit in its description, so it likely has that passive circuit.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Mar 2023 at 08:37. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Composite video is also available on the SCART unless the combo is broken, or menu settings have been altered.
    Quote Quote  
  28. oh my god,my head is going to explode with this.
    been away from it for a bit again,and back at it today.
    quick question,why is the screen green when i connect the dvd/vcr to my tv.its a polaroid tv?
    if i connect to samsung tv in living room its not green.but its a hassle setting it up down there and have to dissconnect all as kids running about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now you've got 2 threads runing on the same problem? make up your mind ! one should be enough.
    Forget about the s-video output on the combo, because you don't know if the tv has s-video, just be sure to have a one on one SCART cable,
    but then again you still have not a good signal on the input of the combo, is my guess.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 22nd Mar 2023 at 10:18.
    Quote Quote  
  30. ok,i connected all up again there again,i.e the camcorder going into the the yellow white and red input on front of dvd/vcr recorder,from video and audio output of cam,which is yellow and black.
    i have y adapter going into the black on camcorder for the red and white.
    i have tried to attach video of what im seeing on the tv screen.please let me know if you folks can see it.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote