VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. any clues?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video signal is not of the correct type, like: PAL,NTSC, MESECAM, or variants of some….
    check out the make of the different devices you're using, tv-system is not matching,
    check the setup menus of all also, could also be that wrong input or output is selected, or wrong "mode"
    …...
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 22nd Mar 2023 at 14:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i will give you an example of something i tried today.
    my brother has an lg hdd/bluray recorder .i connected the 8mm cam to coaxil in on back of lg recorder(tv aerial socket),and then took a coaxil out from hdd recorder to the tv aerial socket on the polaroid tv.(tv aerial socket).
    i had to tune the channel in for analog,and the 8mm footage played fine.
    does that shine any light on it for you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It goes wrong where you connect your combo to the tv, for the reasons i allready told U. look into that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. its just a nightmare,is what it is
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't compare an antenna signal to a video signal, a television is much more forgiving what it shows on the screen, then when you actually must digitize, even bumps to a recording video camera, will show when you "try" to digitize, which you won't see on a tv screen with "live" playback, you lack the eye for detail, you should mention in detail what you do, this will give you good answers, rather than our guess work.
    It's a fact that there are really no good consumer capture devices, the combo you're now using isn't much good, i would say, try to find a good passthrough device, most of the time that is a Panasonic DVD-recorder, personally, i don't have any good experiences with JVC devices, (and i have a few of them, even with build in TBC)
    others swear by it…once you have a stable video signal, it depends on your budget, how good your capture/transfer will be,
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 23rd Mar 2023 at 14:22.
    Quote Quote  
  7. so finally,the "im wasting my time" reply i was waiting on hehe
    seriously though,thanks for your replies all.
    i was just a bout to try it again on the living room tv,u saved me half an hour of hassle and frustration.
    i just dont like things like this to defeat me,its not worth spending too much money on,i didnt mind buying adapters etc,although i prob spent £50 on flipping adapters capture devices,cables etc(yes, i know thats not much in this line of work)
    my fear would be buying a dvd recorder and it not working either(now thatreally would piss me of)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 8mmthebest View Post
    so finally,the "im wasting my time" reply i was waiting on hehe
    i was just a bout to try it again on the living room tv,u saved me half an hour of hassle and frustration.
    i just dont like things like this to defeat me,its not worth spending too much money on,i didnt mind buying adapters etc,although i prob spent £50 on flipping adapters capture devices,cables etc(yes, i know thats not much in this line of work)
    my fear would be buying a dvd recorder and it not working either(now thatreally would piss me of)
    With your effort and budget, there isn't much possible, the least worst option then is, Google for a cheap analog to HDMI converter that upscales, and also Google for a cheap HDMI to USB-2 or USB-3 dongle, the upscale function works as a poor-man's tbc, which outputs in 720p/i or 1080p/i widescreen, which you have to convert into 4:3 while you're capturing with video-editor, or capture tool that can capture USB-webcam, because that's what the HDMI to USB dongle is, no special drivers needed, you can do this on Windows,Mac, or Linux OS. Don't complain about quality, if you do it like this, but you do get result.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok,i connected all up again there again,i.e the camcorder going into the the yellow white and red input on front of dvd/vcr recorder,from video and audio output of cam,which is yellow and black.
    i have y adapter going into the black on camcorder for the red and white.
    i have tried to attach video of what im seeing on the tv screen.please let me know if you folks can see it.
    You forgot to say which one of the combo's analog video-out connections you are using to provide video input for the TV.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ok,i connected all up again there again,i.e the camcorder going into the the yellow white and red input on front of dvd/vcr recorder,from video and audio output of cam,which is yellow and black.
    i have tried to attach video of what im seeing on the tv screen.please let me know if you folks can see it.
    You forgot to say which one of the combo's analog video-out connections you are using to provide video input for the TV.
    it was scart
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There are more things the OP did not tell, or look into, and that makes it a drama. i give up.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    thanks for reply,i have a dvd recorder,just id like to have it saved as a file on pc.
    transferring from dvd to pc is another torture session.
    VOB2MPG and you get the original mpg file.
    You can also import the DVD into editing programs.
    hi,just getting round to downloading that program.
    is it for 32 bit only?
    i installed but i get an error when i launch in 64 bit pc windows 10
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    so finally,the "im wasting my time" reply i was waiting on hehe
    With your effort and budget, there isn't much possible, the least worst option then is, Google for a cheap analog to HDMI converter that upscales, and also Google for a cheap HDMI to USB-2 or USB-3 dongle, the upscale function works as a poor-man's tbc, which outputs in 720p/i or 1080p/i widescreen, which you have to convert into 4:3 while you're capturing with video-editor, or capture tool that can capture USB-webcam, because that's what the HDMI to USB dongle is, no special drivers needed, you can do this on Windows,Mac, or Linux OS. Don't complain about quality, if you do it like this, but you do get result.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392995329797?campid=5338627312&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&toolid=10050...IaAjxGEALw_wcB
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Converter-Composite-Support-Laptop-Black/dp/B099F66QT...96155487&psc=1

like these 2?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Why don't you simply follow what dellsam34 suggested in post #7? https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/408796-Transferring-from-8mm-cam-to-pc#post2682731
    although thank him for his suggestion,but he didnt recommend a specific thing,when he said "here" as in the minefield of suggestions throughout the forum.
    perhaps im wrong
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it was scart
    I can't really help you with SCART because I don't know enough about it. We never had SCART in N. America. Someone from an EU country that uses SCART needs to help you diagnose your problem.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  16. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    although thank him for his suggestion,but he didnt recommend a specific thing,when he said "here" as in the minefield of suggestions throughout the forum.
    perhaps im wrong
    What was not clear in his: "use the recommended USB capture devices here (the forum) ... HDMI route is not a proper way of capturing analog video ... lousy chinese analog to HDMI converters ?

P.S: BTW, there is a good HDMI route (the output of a specific DVD-R Recorder), but let's forget about this for now
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can't really help you with SCART because I don't know enough about it. We never had SCART in N. America. Someone from an EU country that uses SCART needs to help you diagnose your problem.
    It is not clear for me what is the problem.

To OP: what happens if you just connect the Camera to your TV. No capture devices, dvd recorders or whatever else in the middle (just the player and the display)? .Do you have a "clean" and stable image?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it was scart
    yes, i already mentioned this, the combo has different settings in it's setup menu(s), and the tv too, here lies the problem, or there is also a mis match of tv-system, judging by the MP4 that was attached, that's a bit of the problem, when no RCA outputs are available, and "only" 2 SCARTs are present to use,(the tv should switch to the correct setting because of a complete SCART connection, unless the tv doesn't have that feature) with manuals the puzzle can be solved, both from combo and tv, but that's only half the problem ?
    (the manual will show on which SCART the tv should be connected, and the menu can be set for front connection or for the 2nd SCART input) (the devil is in the manual too….)

like these 2?
    yes, but there's no guarantee it will work, because of it's cheapness, so it will be hit or mis, on such a tight budget and effort….
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 24th Mar 2023 at 18:14.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    it was scart
    yes, i already mentioned this, the combo has different settings in it's setup menu(s), and the tv too, here lies the problem, or there is also a mis match of tv-system, judging by the MP4 that was attached, that's a bit of the problem, when no RCA outputs are available, and "only" 2 SCARTs are present to use,(the tv should switch to the correct setting because of a complete SCART connection, unless the tv doesn't have that feature) with manuals the puzzle can be solved, both from combo and tv, but that's only half the problem ?
    (the manual will show on which SCART the tv should be connected, and the menu can be set for front connection or for the 2nd SCART input) (the devil is in the manual too….)
    there are no settings on the tv apart from which input is being selected i.e hdmi,scart,component,composite.
    there is a menu on the combo,i selected rgb.the other 2 i cant recall the name of,i think you posted what they were in a previous reply.
    i am going to try what lollo asked,regarding what the picture is like if i just connect the cam directly to the tv.
    im almost sure it will be fine if i do it that way.
    ill check in the morning
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you simply follow what dellsam34 suggested in post #7?
    What was not clear in his: "use the recommended USB capture devices here (the forum)
    Originally Posted by 8mmthebest
    perhaps im wrong
    No, you're not wrong. It isn't fair to say "the way you're doing is wrong, just use one of the gadgets mentioned in this forum" without saying what they actually are. It is incredibly frustrating to be told "search, there's been lots of post on this". People should make specific recommendations or not post at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    it was scart
    there are no settings on the tv apart from which input is being selected i.e hdmi,scart,component,composite.
    there is a menu on the combo,i selected rgb.the other 2 i cant recall the name of,i think you posted what they were in a previous reply.
    i am going to try what lollo asked,regarding what the picture is like if i just connect the cam directly to the tv.
    ill check in the morning
    If you're not using the RGB, you should not select the RGB, you can't capture from RGB SCART and you don't use component, the red, green, blue RCA at the moment,
    For capture you should concentrate on the s-video (miniDIN) on the back of the combo, or the composite out that's within the SCART connector on the back of the combo, if you want to use the combo as passthrough, if you still get strange colors or black&white picture, you have a tv-system mis-match.
    Last edited by Eric-jan; 24th Mar 2023 at 20:43.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see it.

I can't work out what sockets you have on your TV. Could you post a pic?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't fair to say "the way you're doing is wrong, just use one of the gadgets mentioned in this forum" without saying what they actually are.
    The forum is full of threads about recommended workflows. The last few days ago: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/408943-Canopus-Grass-Valley-ADVC-3000-or-Matrox-MX...LE#post2684321

People should make specific recommendations or not post at all.
    Who should not post at all are users being newbies after years of frequentation, and giving minimalist/low quality suggestions (not referring to Eric-jan here)
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I see it.

I can't work out what sockets you have on your TV. Could you post a pic?
    i have attached picsImage
    [Attachment 69970 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 69971 - Click to enlarge]
    [Attachment 69972 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    it was scart
    ill check in the morning
    If you're not using the RGB, you should not select the RGB, you can't capture from RGB SCART and you don't use component, the red, green, blue RCA at the moment,
    For capture you should concentrate on the s-video (miniDIN) on the back of the combo, or the composite out that's within the SCART connector on the back of the combo, if you want to use the combo as passthrough, if you still get strange colors or black&white picture, you have a tv-system mis-match.
    there only was 3 options to choose from RGB, and 2 others that i cant recall the name of.u posted a message including what they were.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    It is not clear for me what is the problem.

To OP: what happens if you just connect the Camera to your TV. No capture devices, dvd recorders or whatever else in the middle (just the player and the display)? .Do you have a "clean" and stable image?
    ok got round to doing this on both polaroid tv and samsung tv,im amazed actually, i thought it would have played ok that way,but its still a bit wavy and blurry.
    playing 100 percent through the viewfinder on cam.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I assume then that the problem is in the player or in the tape. Try other tapes and/or another player if possible
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try another lead. It doesn't need to be yellow; you can use the red RCA audio lead, just connect to both yellow sockets eg that side yellow Composite socket on your Polaroid.

If the viewfinder's good, the only common factor is the lead.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I assume then that the problem is in the player or in the tape. Try other tapes and/or another player if possible
    cant be the tape if it looks fine in the viewfinder,no?
    tried other tapes same result.
    unfort. dont have another 8mm player
    Quote Quote