VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I recently had the problem of Avisynth giving an error when trying to run a SmoothFPS2 command. I solved it by installing Avisynth+ which ran the command easily. However, I find Avisynth+ a nuisance because, when looking through the preview of an edit (using MeGUI) there's usually a crash with the message 'Player error. Could not read AVS frame'.

Does anyone know the cause and cure of that error?

Alternatively, is there a way of telling MeGUI to use Avisynth rather than Avisynth+? I have both installed via the Universal Avisynth Installer so I could easily uninstall Avisynth+ but it would be nice to keep both and choose the one I want. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    In the "Main" "Options" tab, you can switch the option: "Always use the included AviSynth". So you have at least a choice between the well tested AviSynth+ version that is shipped with MeGUI, and the AviSynth(+?) version installed in your Windows System.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Vielen dank, LigH.de. I hadn't realised that the built-in avisynth was the + version. I gave it a try but, no, gave me the error message. The only thing I've found that handles the SmoothFPS2 command on this particular video is the Avisynth+ version from the Universal Installer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try using vdub2 or avspmod to preview the avs script, you might get more specific info on the error message

If you have one version of avisynth installed already, you can just swap the avisynth.dll to change versions. You can even swap between avs classic

The x64 .dll goes in the Windows/System32 folder; the x86 .dll goes in the Windows/SysWOW64 folder
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If you have one version of avisynth installed already, you can just swap the avisynth.dll to change versions. You can even swap between avs classic
    The Universal Avisynth Installer by Groucho2004 does that reliably for several different AviSynth(+) versions. Get to know it!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    The Universal Avisynth Installer by Groucho2004 does that reliably for several different AviSynth(+) versions. Get to know it!
    Because that utility requires updating for new versions, it's better/easier/faster to swap .dll's when you test recent versions

When was the last update for the installer ? 2021-01-19 ? r3382 ?

There are many bug fixes, improvements in >2 years. We are at r3940 now...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    True, at the moment ... but not hopeless. Until it gets updated, one could try to patch it manually and still use its features rather than messing with Windows System directories. Your choice which method looks easier to you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    True, at the moment ... but not hopeless. Until it gets updated, one could try to patch it manually and still use its features rather than messing with Windows System directories. Your choice which method looks easier to you.
    Everybody does this "messing with Windows System directories" for pinterf avs releases... You post at doom9, how were you updating the last few years ?!!

Some of the bug fixes were serious, others were speed improvements, but many were just "cosmetic"

Many newer plugins, scripts won't even run on r3382 or older avs+ versions . Many of dogways' functions don't run on old avs+

r3682 is the minimum requirement for things like RIFE, avs-mlrt (machine learning models, ESRGAN, real-ESRGAN are available in avisynth (!!) now trough vulkan and ncnn, albeit slower than the vapoursynth pytorch and tensorRT versions)

OP was trying to run smoothfps2, but RIFE will produce better results in most cases (but much slower). Search for my comparisons posted on mvtools2 vs. rife .
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks, guys. My rogue vid is now edited to my liking and I'm sticking with original avisynth knowing that I can easily install the + version if the need arises.
    Quote Quote