VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm almost certain this is a quick question as I've done this before, but its been a few years.

I want to capture a full window using virtualdub 1.10.4. (Capturing Steem, an Atari Emulator)

It captures the top left of the screen, but previously I had it set so it would capture the whole Window of the screen after clicking maximise.

If I do this now, it only captures the top left.

Does anyone know how to set it so it captures a window?

I might be wrong but I think I was running windows 7, I'm now on windows 10, although I do remember that when you select capture, by default it captures the top left.

Thanks,

Neil
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Vdub captures the incoming video signal, it doesn't capture the preview window, What is you capture card and how are connecting the whole thing together? The best tool for screen capture is OBS.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey thanks Dellsam34,

I'm running Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000. In virtualdub I've selected *Capture card, amongst the others available (OBS, microsoft WDM etc).
    I might be lacking a little general knowledge, I apologise, I'm unsure how to see what my capture card is.

I haven't changed my hardware at all since I last knew it to work, all that has changed is moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 as I'm aware, perhaps there's a setting I haven't checked in virtualdub. I've tried a lot of settings so far. My process when it worked, was to capture in Vdub as an AVI, then make to MP4 using MPEGStream. It'd usually just capture full screen at 640 x 480. From what I tested today, the results were better than my current OBS setup as it didn't drop frames and is a very sharp image, it's just capturing in the wrong place / doesn't capture full screen of the window.

I had a play with OBS but it's a shame, as I had a good process going with Vdub. I've managed to get as far as capturing the window in OBS and recording it, but the recording drops frames a lot. I've tried recordings with MKV & MP4 as there isn't an option to record AVI on my version of OBS.
    But if I don't get any luck with Vdub, perhaps OBS is a good call?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm still not sure what you are trying to capture, Is it a capture card connected to a game console or you are trying to capture the computer screen?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Capturing the computer screen.

The software I'm running is a Windows program. It's called Steem (not the xbox platform), it's a program for playing emulations of the good old Atari ST.

A few years ago, I was using Steem to create visuals for music videos, capturing them with Vdub. It worked perfectly. This week I've tried the same procedures & I'm struggling to get the capture to fit the window of the program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried the Print Screen key on the keyboard ? This copies the image to the clip board which you can paste in MSPaint (for example)
    Last edited by davexnet; 28th Feb 2023 at 17:15.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's how I'm doing this you're right.
    Here's my process so far.

Capture AVI
    Set Capture file
    Set Custom Format:

Frame Size-
    640 x 480

Data Format-
    32-bit ARGB
    (would it help to try a different data format?)

I have the 'source' settings as you've posted above,
    along with the screen capture selected under 'device'.

I've tried various settings but haven't managed to achieve the same result as I did a few years ago. I'll give OBS another try today, but thanks, if you have any ideas on capturing the Steem window (usually full desktop) that'd be great. I wondered if maybe it's the resolution settings of windows which is causing it to not capture the full screen of the window when I maximize it? I'm always a little over careful when it comes to changing settings like that, but do you think its worth a try?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vdub 1.png
Views:	13
Size:	609.0 KB
ID:	69519  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a lot of progress today. I never managed to do it in virtualdub, but got the right settings on OBS for the job.

I wanted the resolution to be exact to the videos I made years ago, I somehow after hours of experimenting, have managed this.

I do have a white border which I'd rather not have, but I should be able to mask that in davinci resolve, or perhaps there is a way to rid it in OBS, hopefully.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this. I'm not sure why I couldn't get the same results again in virtualdub, but now I'm using OBS, I'm at least cutting out the final process of converting each AVI to MP4 as it exports to MP4 directly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Neil-Betamax View Post
    Yes, that's how I'm doing this you're right.
    Here's my process so far.

Capture AVI
    Set Capture file
    Set Custom Format:

Frame Size-
    640 x 480

Data Format-
    32-bit ARGB
    (would it help to try a different data format?)

I have the 'source' settings as you've posted above,
    along with the screen capture selected under 'device'.

I've tried various settings but haven't managed to achieve the same result as I did a few years ago. I'll give OBS another try today, but thanks, if you have any ideas on capturing the Steem window (usually full desktop) that'd be great. I wondered if maybe it's the resolution settings of windows which is causing it to not capture the full screen of the window when I maximize it? I'm always a little over careful when it comes to changing settings like that, but do you think its worth a try?
    If you change Frame size to the size of your desktop resolution does it capture all off it?
    Quote Quote