VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Did you try to disable privacy setting in Windows 11? I know newer OS are so anal about "safety" and personal own space BS.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have not tried thjta yet dellsam34
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Winterhawk, re HDV I was merely replying to Dellsham's concern about whether it would work. To reiterate, The 710-USB does emulate Firewire/DV through USB.

I'd still try re-installing IEEE1394 host controller to the OHCI version (my post 18).

Out of interest, with Scenalyzer running, do you have transport control of your camera with the Scenalyzer buttons? Can you get your camera to play, FF and rewind?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I kind of doubt it, Black screen means the camcorder is not communicating with the program, It's interesting to know though, Does he even see the camcorder in the list?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post 8: he has the camcorder showing in Device Manager and he has Microsoft DV Camera and VCR in WinDV. It's all there except the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alwyn, correct. This may be a windows 11, microprocessor generation 10 issue, we already know that Intel stopped supporting TB 4 ( APPLE trademark) with Generation 12. WinDV works with PC running GEN 9 and lower. Gen 10 that I have, and Gen 11, "may" work with a TB Docking station.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dellsam34, The BIOS has settings for Thunderbolt, and has the security set to none by me. I wanted to make sure that was not an issue running the program. This is looking more and more like a 10th generation Intel processor issue. Camera is seen by OS, as well Thunderbolt APP seeing APPLE dongles and connection, yet no video. That clearly points a BIG finger at the i7 processor!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Sounds like they nuked the DV driver at the hardware level, I'm sorry that you've reached a dead end, There are alternatives though, Get a very old Dell laptop with factory firewire under Win 7 or Vista and be done with it, Once done you can sell all the devices you bought so far and you may break even.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Settings>Privacy>Camera. Down the bottom, "Allow Desktop Apps to access your camera".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will check that today, in the middle of a roaring snowstorm here now, winter finally arrived with Spring just 17 days away!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update, while waiting for Dell Thunderbolt Docking station to arrive, I decided to try my older Dell win 7 converted to win 10 XPS desktop. I added a PCie Firewire expansion card to get the necessary port for IEEE firewire cable and loaded WinDV program. It ran like a hose! No driver issues, no problems, it just loaded the entire 1-hour tape. So, once again, it points a finger at trying to use Win 11 with using Generation 10 CPU's and probably Gen 11 as well. We already know that Gen 12 definitely will not work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by winterhawk View Post
    Update, while waiting for Dell Thunderbolt Docking station to arrive, I decided to try my older Dell win 7 converted to win 10 XPS desktop. I added a PCie Firewire expansion card to get the necessary port for IEEE firewire cable and loaded WinDV program. It ran like a hose! No driver issues, no problems, it just loaded the entire 1-hour tape. So, once again, it points a finger at trying to use Win 11 with using Generation 10 CPU's and probably Gen 11 as well. We already know that Gen 12 definitely will not work.
    No relation. One is transferring via Firewire, another is via Thunderbolt, trying to make it work like Firewire.

A $15 Firewire card saved you days of tinkering, and you probably have spent $30-$80 on Apple-branded cables. I myself was surprised and amazed when I found out about converting Firewire to Thunderbolt worked at all. I still think it is a sort of a hack. I hope you get to the bottom of it since you already have all the cables.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TB is supposed to be much faster, so we will see, and I will get the bottom of this one way or another and post my findings here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by winterhawk View Post
    TB is supposed to be much faster, so we will see, and I will get the bottom of this one way or another and post my findings here.
    It is realtime either way, but I wonder why Firewire-to-TB worked for other guys on Youtube and did not work for you (yet).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    TB has greater bandwidth, aka capacity to be much faster.
    But the Firewire DV transfer protocol is locked to exactly 25Mbps, so you get no benefit from using TB other than the possibility of using a non-legacy connection type.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm. I have been experimenting with the 710-USB box for DV transfer and guess what: I have a dicky Firewire (400 4 to 6 pin) cable. It wouldn't allow my camera to connect properly (sometimes "Microsoft DV..." would come up but with no functioning device control). I tried another cable and it works every time.

Could be a cable issue.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your point is well taken, I have had problems in the past with cables, I try to avoid "knock-of" cables They are hit and miss for performance. I had a good laugh when I read your reply, "dicky" firewire cable!!!! LOL. My name being RICHARD, my nickname since boyhood has been Dick. Are you taking my name in vane Alwyn?? LOL I don't have another firewire cable that mates with the APPLE dongls so I hate to buy another one from Amazon just to see if my new one bought a few weks ago is the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ha ha, good on you Richard! Hopefully your new TB dock is not up the Dick!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have it working! I purchased the new DELL Thunderbolt Docking station model WD22TB4 and connected the camera via Apple dongles to the new docking station, then the docking station to the DELL G7700 laptop and voila! WinDV runs like a hose! The new docking station is Thunderbolt 4, the laptop thunderbolt port is generation 3. Somehow, either the electronics in the docking station or the buffering between port 3 TB and DS port 4 is allowing this to work. So, I am happy to report that WinDV can be run on a computer running Windows 11 and using generation 10 CPU's from Intel. I am going to try to run WinDV on my generation 12 CPU desktop to see if that will work when I get time.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    Kudos to see to the end of it!

Although $270 for the docking station + up to $80 for the dongles > $150 for a refurbished Windows desktop machine + $15 for a Firewire card.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    True, but the docking station will be VERY handy for many other uses. I paid $245 for the TDS. And, I learned quite a bit. Have a great weekend. We are now getting ready for the first big Nor'easter of the winter season, very LATE winter season, only 19 days from Sprong!!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well done. Enjoy working with your DV.

Originally Posted by Bwaak
    $150 for a refurbished Windows desktop machine + $15 for a Firewire card.
    Even boat anchors are cheaper these days, and they don't rust!
    Quote Quote