VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My setup right now is a JVC HR-VP780U VCR > composite out > into Funai SV2000 DVD recorder > S-video out > into ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 PCIe TV Tuner Card. I go from the VCR to the DVD recorder because the TV tuner card doesn't have a composite input, only S-video and Coaxial.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yloU9SZ3Cvn_P9FymE__FLA8m1rrIcBu?usp=sharing <-- this is a link to a bit of an example of this setup's output, along with previous setups of going straight from the VCR to the tuner card over coaxial (last ditch option), and going straight to the VCR to the tuner card with composite but with a small composite to S-video adapter (caused bad artifacts, won't use again). Without going and buying a good S-VHS deck, I think this is about the best I can get out of what I've got. I have a question though for those that know more than I: when I switched the S-video cable I used to go from the DVD recorder to the tuner card, the picture was quite sharper. Is that indicative of a difference in cable quality between S-video cables? Should the picture from the tape be sharper or duller? I know this tape isn't in the greatest of condition based on the color bleed but it's still a direct comparison to itself.

TL;DR: Check the link and give your opinion on which picture/video is the best quality out of them, keeping in mind I'm far from using the highest quality equipment.
    Just curious and want to get some opinions. Thanks!

Also... is there anything else I could/should do to further improve the picture quality short of spending $400+ on a S-VHS VCR with a TBC built in? I.e. buying a TBC separately? Or one of the cheaper S-VHS units on eBay (~$100, less preferably)? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a good S-VHS VCR with TBC built in? I'd like to get the best bang for my buck... if those are truly worth it and make a good difference in quality then I'll have to think about it. Thanks again for any input.
    Last edited by cmic2002; 27th Feb 2023 at 03:17. Reason: fix incorrect link
    Quote Quote  
  2. Interlaced s-vid cable 1 or 2. #1 has too much noise reduction applied, losing detail. #2 has been over sharpened, creating halos and increasing noise. Both contain interlaced video but have been compressed as progressive. So they play without deinterlacing. And the chroma is messed up -- though it's not too visible in the low motion content. Your DVD recorder doesn't appear to have a line time base corrector. And they are over-compressed.
    Last edited by jagabo; 27th Feb 2023 at 08:14.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Interlaced s-vid cable 1 or 2. #1 has too much noise reduction applied, losing detail. #2 has been over sharpened, creating halos and increasing noise. Both contain interlaced video but have been compressed as progressive. So they play without deinterlacing. And the chroma is messed up -- though it's not too visible in the low motion content. Your DVD recorder doesn't appear to have a line time base corrector. And they are over-compressed.
    Thanks for the reply! I'll see what I can do about the sharpness and chroma. I can also upload samples from a different tape with more action and light if that'd help give an idea of the output. By overcompressed, you just mean I need to increase my bitrate for capturing correct? I captured at 3000kbps, and set Hybrid to 6000k when I ran them through the deinterlace and bob filter.
    I forgot to mention originally, I captured with OBS because I never could get vdub to work with my capture card so that's why they're recorded as progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 has no issues with VDub. Regarding SVideo only, the card has a connector for Svideo, composite and stereo audio, which is supposed to go to the front panel of a PC. I guess you don't have this breakout cable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 has no issues with VDub. Regarding SVideo only, the card has a connector for Svideo, composite and stereo audio, which is supposed to go to the front panel of a PC. I guess you don't have this breakout cable.
    Unfortunately I do not have that breakout cable or front panel piece, that makes sense though... always wondered what the large header on the card was for haha. I will try again to get it working in vdub. Vdub sees it and I'm able to select the correct source, but it won't give me a preview and it always says "unable to start capture" when I try. I have no idea why it does that :/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by cmic2002 View Post
    I'll see what I can do about the sharpness and chroma.
    Sharpness will be a setting on the VHS deck. The blended chroma is most likely a consequence of compressing interlaced video in progressive mode.

Originally Posted by cmic2002 View Post
    I can also upload samples from a different tape with more action and light if that'd help give an idea of the output.
    Yes, moderate motion with bright, saturated colors makes problems easier to see.

By overcompressed, you just mean I need to increase my bitrate for capturing correct?
    Yes. Even better, capture with a lossless codec like Huffyuv, Lagarith, or UT video codec.

I forgot to mention originally, I captured with OBS because I never could get vdub to work with my capture card so that's why they're recorded as progressive.
    You might also try AmarecTV or for capturing. A lot of people who have problems with VirtualDub have success with AmarecTV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You want to turn off the on-screen display on the VCR in the menu (setting is called superimpose on the US models I think). There is also two picture settings you can play with, auto picture on/off and picture mode (only AUTO and EDIT are generally usable, SOFT/SHARP tend to overdo processing).

Some Funai dvd-recorders have TBC functionality but idk if this one does so sending the signal via it may or may not help stabilize the image.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oln View Post
    You want to turn off the on-screen display on the VCR in the menu (setting is called superimpose on the US models I think). There is also two picture settings you can play with, auto picture on/off and picture mode (only AUTO and EDIT are generally usable, SOFT/SHARP tend to overdo processing).

Some Funai dvd-recorders have TBC functionality but idk if this one does so sending the signal via it may or may not help stabilize the image.
    Thanks for the reply, I did disable superimpose in the VCR. I will look at those picture settings, thanks for the guidance. I was able to get my hands on a TBC today, a Digital Processing Systems DPS-265 so I'm going to be messing with it. It's been sitting unused for years
    Quote Quote