VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. An old simple editor (forget the name) had a feature to only render what had to re-rendered and copied the rest without changing anything. But it only worked on limited types of videos. Is there a newer editor that can do that and can also work with most types of files?
    One that will let me edit at any point and then only reincode at that point. I know there are ones that only let you cut at I frames but that is not what I want. I also want to be able to add transitions. But to not reencode everything.
    Quote Quote  
  2. VideoRedo had a smart editor but you may no longer be able to buy it. LosslessCut has an experimental smart mode that works with some videos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. For cutting only (no transitions) and for h264 and hevc videos only (for the moment) you can try clever Ffmpeg-GUI (v3.0.9), frame accurate cutting.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks I will try Tmpgenc. I used to own VideoRedo a long time ago when DVD was the best video quality. But I lost my registration info and it probably is not valid for the newer version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    For cutting only (no transitions) and for h264 and hevc videos only (for the moment) you can try clever Ffmpeg-GUI (v3.0.9), frame accurate cutting.
    Are you saying you've added smart cutting (only cut GOPs are reencoded)?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    For cutting only (no transitions) and for h264 and hevc videos only (for the moment) you can try clever Ffmpeg-GUI (v3.0.9), frame accurate cutting.
    Are you saying you've added smart cutting (only cut GOPs are reencoded)?
    Yep
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VideoRedo had a smart editor but you may no longer be able to buy it. LosslessCut has an experimental smart mode that works with some videos.
    Years ago, before the untimely demise of VideoReDo's owner, I tested both TMPGEnc and VideoReDo exhaustively and decided the latter was slightly better for my needs.

Now, eight years later, I've been dragged, kicking and screaming, away from my Windows 8 laptop and forced to upgrade to Windows 11. I did NOT lose my registration info for VideoReDo, so, just now, I attempted to download and install it on my new laptop. No dice; as soon as I entered the registration info I got the message back saying there was a "problem" and I needed to contact them, which is clearly impossible now. So that would appear to be that.

So my choices now appear to be Lossless Cut and TMPGEnc. You mention that Lossless Cut is limited in the different flavors of videos it can handle. Is it more limited than TMPGEnc?

I'll be frank: I LOVED TMPGEnc when I tested it in a free trial, and the only reason I went with VideoReDo was because it was able to handle slightly more files than TMPGEnc, although it came very close. So, if you tell me Lossless Cut is more limited than TMPGEnc, that's good enough for me. On the other hand, Lossless Cut is the newer app, and may be somewhat more powerful, for that reason, than TMPGEnc. But I obviously don't know anything personally about Lossless Cut, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for any help or info you can give me!
    Quote Quote