VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am starting from scratch on this. Trying to follow just the steps to get Clever FFmpeg going.
    The Readme and front page of the program (or errors that follow) say that ffplay.exe and ffprobe.exe have to be in the Clever FFMpeg folder.

On the videohelp software page, what I get is FF Player. No idea if that is the same thing. On Google if I say ffplayer.exe download, it just goes to links for main program but no ffplay.exe to be found. Please clarify. Ditto with ffprobe.exe

So far I have made a folder in Win7 Program Files (x64) called Clever FFmpeg and support programs. I put the Clever FFmpeg in it, plus the latest ffmpeg.exe.

I'd at least like to get the program to open. Please, no redirects to Youtube videos of PC screens. I don't use them and can better follow printed steps.
    Quote Quote  
  2. ok, I got as far as getting my bin folder open where the three applications are. Do those have to be moved out to the main
    Folder where Cleverffmpeg is? Couldn't all this be smoothed out for clarity?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I got the message that says ffmpeg is installed.
    More error messages follow about ... what? where the Clever FFmpeg .exe is?

Well that's all I know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. My next move:

I used the green button for the search to open and navigated to Clever FFmpeg and components folder.
    [screen shot]

A restart of CleverFFMpeg gave another screen with 'source' at the top. Can I drag and drop in Clever FFMpeg?

[edit] I see where it says I can drag and drop. I think the dark screen is just an obstacle to me seeing
    anything.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	clever.png
Views:	29
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	69434  

Quote Quote  
  5. Whelp, today is the furthest I've ever gotten with FFmpeg. Much of it I just had to think through. But I don't know how it differs from using Handbrake.

You can see in the screen shot below I just selected a piece of old video I'm making a subtitle on. The goal is always sharper image, and better resolution. It's from 1975 and is not Hi Def in any way. It shows
    DEBLOCK, DETELECINE etc in my file name (as reminders) for what was done on the original by me to get the image improved.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	clever zalmen sample.png
Views:	33
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	69435  

Quote Quote  
  6. Clever Ffmpeg-GUI is a portable application.
    That means, no installation is required.
    You can move the executable everywere on your harddisk.
    Said this, you have selected the inverse telecine function (IVTC), not needed with a 23.976fps video.
    If you want increase the resolution, you have to choose resize instead of keep resolution in the screen before.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for answering. I feel I have accomplished something anyway. I have the unaltered source, so I could see
    what the resize does without the Handbrake tweaks. Just now I am doing a sample encode to get the program going
    and see what factor 19 (CC in Handbrake0 does to up the bitrate. I may even get the terms wrong. And admittedly this is old stuff recorded on old time studio video cameras for television. Only so much is possible.

What would be helpful is someone could show some before and after scree shots and describe the settings.... someone's "best job."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Thanks for answering. I feel I have accomplished something anyway. I have the unaltered source, so I could see
    what the resize does without the Handbrake tweaks. Just now I am doing a sample encode to get the program going
    and see what factor 19 (CC in Handbrake0 does to up the bitrate. I may even get the terms wrong. And admittedly this is old stuff recorded on old time studio video cameras for television. Only so much is possible.

What would be helpful is someone could show some before and after scree shots and describe the settings.... someone's "best job."
    It uses the same FFmpeg/x264 as Handbrake does. Whatever settings you like in HB can be used here in terms of preset and CRF settings.
    However, Prowo's interface is different and takes a bit of getting used too ....
    Quote Quote  
  9. If Handbrake drops or has dropped support for DVD, then can CleverFFMpeg be used as both programs continue development? I'm running Clever on Win7 so I don't know how one program follows the other with Win10 requirements.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There was a discussion a few days ago about Handbrake and DVDs, apparently it can use them on the fly but first you have to copy the libdvdcss.dll into the HB program folder. The DLL is available from the software section of this site
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes I followed that and have been using the dll. I guess it has not been superseded by anything else. I didn't know how it affects CleverFFmpeg or Vidcoder. I'm still vague on that, yes or no since I don't use Vidcoder (by RandsomEngy) often. The screens do not appear to display well for me. But Vidcoder as was mentioned follows the handbrake core.
    Quote Quote