VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone know why my version of OBS screen recorder produces alot of stuttering?. Using the trial version of Bandicam and set to a high quality, it produces no stuttering or frame lagging at all. I've even set the resolution lower in OBS and still produces a poor screen capture output. Settings in Bandicam are:
    FPS: 25
    Quality 80
    Codec: MPEG4

Audio bitrate: 192
    Audio codec: AAC

The same settings can be set in OBS but all I get is noticeable lagging or stuttering.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    The same settings can be set in OBS but all I get is noticeable lagging or stuttering.
    "same settings" Not exactly, granted.

OBS is complicated (AND bloated). If you make it use x264, be sure you choose the fastest settings, performance-wise;
    for example, I-frames only, or at least no B-frames at all, only 2 or 3 reference frames, whatever.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    "same settings" Not exactly, granted.

OBS is complicated (AND bloated). If you make it use x264, be sure you choose the fastest settings, performance-wise;
    for example, I-frames only, or at least no B-frames at all, only 2 or 3 reference frames, whatever.
    I've got the rate control set at CRF
    CRF: 23
    Encoder: x264
    Rescale output: 1920x1080
    Encoding format: MKV (I've heard that this is recommended)

Can't see any I frames or B frames, no idea what that is.

I think that using the resolution output set my processor can't cope with it for some reason.

I agree it is a complicated programme.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's a 100 fold difference in encoding speed between x264's fastest ("ultrafast") and slowest ("placebo") presets. The two programs are probably using different presets.
    Quote Quote