VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!
    I just got this beautiful machine with nice features (TBC/NR...) but I noticed some strange behaviour when playing some tapes: a lot of black lines pop up in the screen randomly. This happens only with this VCR. Infact, when played with another JVC VCR (not S-VHS) the play fine (and sometimes more stable!).
    The artifacts are less evident when changing "Colour System " from "PAL/NTSC" to "MESECAM" (but obliviously the colors are screwed).
    Another strange effect is on the anime tape: when TBC is enabled, colored lines appear on screen (please note this is some sort of bootleg tape).
    Before going to the capture card, the signal passes through a Panasonic ES10 in every capture.
    Any advice?
    I attached some footage.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18jiNKoJ9LTE-iM49ZWm6hWar_7DfRELV?usp=sharing
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have a VR1100 here with the same symptom but I haven't tinkered with it a lot to figure out if there is something else that can be done to help it. (it also has some issue with dropout compensation I've seen on another JVC I have (and examples online) which I don't know the cause of either but makes me less motivated to tinker with it.)

It could be that the heads are worn but not sure, I've found JVC decks (and jvc "clones", this philips very similar to the JVC HR-S77xx VCRs inside) like this to be a bit prone to this effect in general though. On older VCRs there are normally some adjustments that can be done to the video filters that can cause streaks like this if it's off but it's not something that's adjustable on more modern decks. You could try to manually adjust the tracking to see if that helps but I don't know if that helps.

The colored lines on that specific tape is likely due to the tbc in the vcr not handing the dodgy tape as well as the ES10, if it's looking fine with TBC off.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Usually black steaks is luma signal clipping at the high peaks during transitions from low to high whites and vise versa, Worn heads is a second distant possibility, but I suspect some non functioning capacitors in the luma filtering stages, I would consult an expert first in video repairs such as 12voltvids or video99.co.uk on youtube or a local repair person if available to have a general idea.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Doesn't this also happen when you record onto regular VHS tapes in an S-VHS deck? Or was it when you play S-VHS tapes on a regular VHS deck?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It's the later, Though his machine is already S-VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Usually black steaks is luma signal clipping at the high peaks during transitions from low to high whites and vise versa, Worn heads is a second distant possibility, but I suspect some non functioning capacitors in the luma filtering stages, I would consult an expert first in video repairs such as 12voltvids or video99.co.uk on youtube or a local repair person if available to have a general idea.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try contact them.
    But why with only these tapes? Other ones looks good. Maybe it's because they're second (or more) generation?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Some tapes have higher levels than others, This depends on mastering when they were first recorded, or if they're dubbed some VCR's change levels during dubbing.
    Quote Quote