VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Having some old 480p recorded shaky video on handheld recorded from camera and smart phone.Old days doesn't have stabilizer function on camera and smart phone.

Which video editor can edit and convert shaky video and stabilize it ?
    Recorded video such as speech at lecture hall holding the camera and phone while standing with zoom 3x.

Which of the best of Paid or open source and proprietary software able to convert and fix shaky video for beginner ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Deshaker plugin for VirtualDub (both free!) is very good, the results can easily rival commercial solutions.

However, being a VirtualDub plugin means you will probably have intermediate steps, because VirtualDub is centered around the AVI container which you probably don't want these days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. VirtualDub2 natively works with all the common containers and codecs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Right, maybe I shouldn't ignore VirtualDub2 just because I don't need VD for anything but AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I really only use VirtualDub2 for previewing my AviSynth scripts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Understand that even though there are some decent deshaker/stabilizer algorithms out there, you cannot realistically fully undo the burned-in motion blur.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Understand that even though there are some decent deshaker/stabilizer algorithms out there, you cannot realistically fully undo the burned-in motion blur.
    Yes, you may be left with video that's not shaking but blurs every time there was motion in the original video. VirtualDub's deshakers also do a poor job of removing rolling shutter distortions. At least that's been my experience (it's been a long time size I've really used them though).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    Deshaker plugin for VirtualDub (both free!) is very good, the results can easily rival commercial solutions.

However, being a VirtualDub plugin means you will probably have intermediate steps, because VirtualDub is centered around the AVI container which you probably don't want these days.
    Thank you , I will try out VirtualDub and the plugin.The recorded camera video is AVI format but on the Phone is MP4 , does it support MP4 H264 ?
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post

Scott
    I will try and test them but I may need some help on the setting on Pass 1 and 2 with best result.
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, you may be left with video that's not shaking but blurs every time there was motion in the original video. VirtualDub's deshakers also do a poor job of removing rolling shutter distortions. At least that's been my experience (it's been a long time size I've really used them though).
    VirtualDub last update was 2020 and the plugin is 2014 , I assume it will perform decent as open source.

Which application do you recommend to minimize burn in motion blur ?
    Then , comparing to those Paid application such as Adobe Premiere Pro , davinci and Vegas Pro , which would work better ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by vhfm View Post
    Which application do you recommend to minimize burn in motion blur ?
    Then , comparing to those Paid application such as Adobe Premiere Pro , davinci and Vegas Pro , which would work better ?
    I don't think the paid apps do it much better, but I'm not an expert by any means.

This happens a lot with the two Vegas plug-ins I occasionally use (Video Stabilize and Flicker Control). Here's an example of a badly flickering clip... this was captured using a DMR-ES10 inline with a Betamax EDV-7500, and even though the ES10 fixed a lot of issues there was still a huge amount of "flicker" remaining. This video shows the blurring results of using the "flicker control" media plugin within Vegas:

Quote Quote