VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Please pardon the newbie question.

I’m curious if there are any standalone Blu-Ray recorders on the market, similar to the standalone standard-definition DVD recorders that are still floating around. My hunch is that such recorders—if they even exist—would be expensive and hard to find at this point.

I’m interested in this type of standalone recorder rather than any setup that involves capturing on a PC and then burning to a Blu-Ray disc.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dawgsfan View Post
    Please pardon the newbie question.

I’m curious if there are any standalone Blu-Ray recorders on the market, similar to the standalone standard-definition DVD recorders that are still floating around. My hunch is that such recorders—if they even exist—would be expensive and hard to find at this point.

I’m interested in this type of standalone recorder rather than any setup that involves capturing on a PC and then burning to a Blu-Ray disc.

Thanks.
    JVC made one for professional videography, the SR-HD2700, but it could only capture from the HDMI connections on cameras and other video sources without HDCP and had no timer for scheduled recordings. Yes, it was expensive.

The popular Blu-ray recorders made for Japan, Europe, and Australia were only able to capture in HD from broadcast TV sources available in those regions via their DTV tuners.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Feb 2023 at 14:18. Reason: Changed model number to the generic one. JVC adds a suffix to that which denotes a region.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. Yes, when searching I only found Blu-Ray recorders for those countries/regions as well, and the restrictions on HDMI-in recording would limit their usefulness to me anyway.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dawgsfan View Post
    Thanks. Yes, when searching I only found Blu-Ray recorders for those countries/regions as well, and the restrictions on HDMI-in recording would limit their usefulness to me anyway.
    Thanks again.
    I forgot to mention the other HD video connections on the JVC SR-HD2700 Blu-ray recorder. It also has component video inputs for HD analog input and SDI connections for digital HD input. Unfortunately, the component video connections are not as useful as they would have been a few years ago. Many of the newest set-top boxes required to access paid TV services and streaming services no longer have component video connections. The SDI connections are for connecting professional video equipment and, in general, are not useful to consumers.

[Edit]My mistake. The JVC SR-HD2700 doesn't have component video input connections. It only has component video output connections. The JVC SR-HD2700 was very expensive anyway. I think it cost over $3000 when it was still being made.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Feb 2023 at 12:49.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Use an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Use an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP.
    Yes. That would work if one can be found. I don't think they are as easy to find as they used to be.

It would be very disappointing to spend $$$$ on a used JVC Pro Blu-ray recorder only to be unable to find a splitter that reliably stripped HDCP
    Quote Quote