VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello all, I want to capture some Digital8 tapes to my new laptop which has no firewire socket, any ideas on how I can connect my camera to my computer? I only have USB-C sockets; is there such a adaptor or a series of them I could use to do this?

Danke..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    USB-C. Any Thunderbolt 3" ports on board? If so, I saw a couple of YT videos today (for another topic here) describing how to assemble a relatively inexpensive cable chain that enabled DV (and HDV) "transfer" using WinDV and HDVSplit, which is exactly what you want (WinDV for you, or Scenalyzer).

Here's one (note the comments about the process not working with 12th gen Intel CPUs):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT0oDYbqwwk
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    no, I have no thunderbolt, only USB c
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    You can buy an old Mac Mini for less than 50€ and use the firewire on FCP7 or quicktime. It will be cheaper than buying a conversion cable/box etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Try one of the Pinnacle legacy firewire to USB converters such as 500-USB, but to get those to work under new OS's is a little bit tricky, not to mention that USB 2.0 for DV is prone to data loss due to the limited bandwidth of USB 2.0.
    Quote Quote