VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using my Magnavox 513 for years with Optimum. Suddenly tonight I get the copy protect blocked recording message. I get it on every channel, not just the one I wanted to record. Does anyone else now have this problem and has anyone found a way around this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have since learned this is purposely controlled by cable company and can't be circumvented on the DVR. I need Alternative to DVR Recording.

Questions:

(1) Do VHS recorders also have the "Copy-Protected - Cannot Record" problem? If not, is there any particular VHS recorder to record from the cable box that I should buy? And what kind of connections A/V must the VHS recorder that I would buy need to have?

(2) Is there a way to connect the VHS recorder to a computer so that I could play the tape back and watch it on the computer?

(3) Least likely but I'll ask anyway - is there a way to connect the cable box itself to my computer so that I could watch on my computer? Does Windows Media Center, which I have on one computer, make that better?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are getting this message via analog/cinch/RCA cables?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Novice20 View Post
    I have since learned this is purposely controlled by cable company and can't be circumvented on the DVR. I need Alternative to DVR Recording.

Questions:

(1) Do VHS recorders also have the "Copy-Protected - Cannot Record" problem? If not, is there any particular VHS recorder to record from the cable box that I should buy? And what kind of connections A/V must the VHS recorder that I would buy need to have?

(2) Is there a way to connect the VHS recorder to a computer so that I could play the tape back and watch it on the computer?

(3) Least likely but I'll ask anyway - is there a way to connect the cable box itself to my computer so that I could watch on my computer? Does Windows Media Center, which I have on one computer, make that better?

Thank you
    see this thread page 2 post #34 - https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/404019-Capturing-shows-from-Bell-Fibe-PVR/page2
    the user was trying to get files of of their DVR recorder but were unsuccessful, used a screen recorder to get the episodes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (3) Least likely but I'll ask anyway - is there a way to connect the cable box itself to my computer so that I could watch on my computer? Does Windows Media Center, which I have on one computer, make that better?Thank you
    Windows Media Center is probably not an option for what you want to do anymore.

The free guide data service for Windows Media Center was discontinued years ago. I think there is still a workaround, which uses the EPG123 app plus Schedules Direct for the program data. (The guide data service from Schedules Direct is reasonably priced but not free.) Other than that, I think there was a way to use timer-based recording in Windows Media Center.

However, there is a bigger problem. Windows Media Center setup required users to install PlayReady for encrypting recordings from copy-once-protected cable channels but I don't think Microsoft will download PlayReady anymore. There is no workaround that would allow you to record copy-protected cable channels with a QAM TV tuner anymore.

I think that a cable box's composite video connections and RF-out is capable of transmitting CGMS-A copy-protection indicators in the video's VBI (vertical blanking interval} or applying Macrovision, so you may not be able to use those connections either, even with a VCR.

Recording from a cable box's component video connection may be an option but requires specific Hauppauge capture devices and special software that allows them to work with WMC and an IR blaster to allow WMC to change channels. However, many cable boxes no longer have a set of component video connections. Some of the same Hauppauge capture devices can record from HDMI but you'll need a splitter that strips HDCP to record. I did use both of these methods at one time but recording TV this way was somewhat unreliable.

What solution would I suggest? You may be able to watch some of your desired content at a more convenient time via streaming over the Internet. You may be able to use a downloading app or record the screen to save a copy.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jan 2023 at 12:57.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yes - RCA cables
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    (3) Least likely but I'll ask anyway - is there a way to connect the cable box itself to my computer so that I could watch on my computer? Does Windows Media Center, which I have on one computer, make that better?Thank you
    What solution would I suggest? You may be able to watch some of your desired content at a more convenient time via streaming over the Internet. You may be able to use a downloading app or record the screen to save a copy.
    Thank you.
    Can you suggest what software to use for either downloading or screen recording?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Novice (as my name says) question: would getting frndly or Roku be of any help in recording?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thank you.
    Can you suggest what software to use for either downloading or screen recording?

I sometimes use FireDM for downloading content that is free to everyone. I have never attempted to download from a paid service and discussions about that are prohibited at VideoHelp.

I haven't tried recording my screen yet. I'm sure that others will be able to suggest proven methods.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jan 2023 at 14:37.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Novice (as my name says) question: would getting frndly or Roku be of any help in recording?
    Recording HDMI-out from a Roku would be as complicated as recording HDMI-out from a cable box. I don't know enough about frndlyTV to tell you anything useful.
    Quote Quote  
  11. There are HDMI splitters on Amazon that are touted to strip HDCP bits. Might be an option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yes - RCA cables
    YIKES...that is some serious copy protection.
    Quote Quote