VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, just wondering if I can get some advice on dimensions in handbrake?

Im capturing pal vhs in virtualdub. Im then deinterlacing and applying a couple of filters again in virtualdub and then taking the avi file over to handbrake to compress to mp4.

I’m a little confused with the cropping/dimensions section.

As my capture is pal, it is 720x576, so for the cropping boxes, I leave each value at zero.

For resolution and scaling I have resolution limit set to 576p pal sd, anamorphic automatic and optimal size ticked.

For final dimensions the display box is set to 720. But it says that my aspect ratio is 3.75:3. Should it not be 4:3?

I want to keep the videos dimensions as they originally were, have I got these settings right?

I know that people add black bars to the top and bottom, should I be doing this? There is a bar of distorted picture along the bottom of the picture but not the top, so not sure if I should be adding a bar to the bottom?

Sorry for all the questions, just struggling to get my head around all this.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try playing with scaling settings, the anamorphic things upscaling etc. It's really confusing and I am tired and not on my laptop rn. Someone might help you more precisely but I think this is ok for a starter answer. Also use "production" preset as it doesn't crop black bars
    Quote Quote  
  3. Try this. It masks the crud.
    But why use Handbrake? You can do everything (and better for interlaced stuff) i.e. including the filtering plus the encoding in Virtualdub2.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.png
Views:	63
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	68937  

Last edited by Sharc; 29th Jan 2023 at 04:31.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Try this. It masks the crud.
    Thanks so much for that Sharc, I was finding it so confusing, that works perfectly.

Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    But why use Handbrake? You can do everything (and better for interlaced stuff) i.e. including the filtering plus the encoding in Virtualdub2.
    I deinterlaced and applied the filters that you showed me in virtualdub, and then just use handbrake for encoding to mp4. I wasnt aware that I could encode to mp4 in virtualdub2, I’ll have to download it.

I spent most of last night trying to deinterlace with QTGMC and encode to mp4 with handbrake hybrid.That was a total disaster LOL. So I swiftly moved back to vdub and handbrake.
    Last edited by Leanoric; 4th Feb 2023 at 11:45.
    Quote Quote