VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello
    It's probably not a new question, but I've been looking for combinations of tools, I want to position the subtitles in the bottom area exactly on the black bars of the wide screen movies. I use Xilisoft and unfortunately, according to the picture, it has a limit of 800 in vertical position. He probably thinks the black bars aren't part of the movie. Can you help me with a combination of tools to encode a subtitle positioned below

[Attachment 68906 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 68907 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by Mariox; 27th Jan 2023 at 06:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can mux ass/srt subtitles with video and audiostreams.
    This way the subtitles on widescreen movies (g.e. 2.35:1) are shown into the lower black bar on TV.
    But you can't hardcode subs this way in widescreen movies, because the black bars aren't part of the movie itself, but are generated by the TV player.
    If you want burn in subtitles on widesscreen movies, you have to encode the black bars too, so g.e. a 1280x544 2.35:1 movie becomes a 1280x720 16:9 movie with 88 pixels black bars on top and bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you give e me one tool for that kind of with black bars of one tutorial?
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI to do that in one go.

As an example I use here a 1280x536 video, which is padded to 1280x720 and therefore has 92 pixel as black bars on top and bottom.

First you need to prepare your subtitle file.
    For exact positioning, ass is the best format.

Format your subtitle so that all subtitles are displayed in the lower 92 pixels of the 1280x720 frame. Then save the file.

Then load your video (in my example 1280x536) in clever FFmpeg-GUI, click main, click encode video stream, click resize, pad the frame to 1280x720, the DAR will be changed to 1.78 (16:9), set the burn in subtitle box, choose extern file and click select file, select your prepared ass subtitle then click encode.

[Attachment 68914 - Click to enlarge]

If done, click multiplex, the new created videostream with burned in subtitle is shown in green, select it and all other streams you want, deselect the original video stream (the blue one) and click multiplex.

You'll find the new video into the target folder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you !!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI to do that in one go.

As an example I use here a 1280x536 video, which is padded to 1280x720 and therefore has 92 pixel as black bars on top and bottom.

Format your subtitle so that all subtitles are displayed in the lower 92 pixels of the 1280x720 frame. Then save the file.

Then load your video (in my example 1280x536) in clever FFmpeg-GUI, click main, click encode video stream, click resize, pad the frame to 1280x720, the DAR will be changed to 1.78 (16:9), set the burn in subtitle box, choose extern file and click select file, select your prepared ass subtitle then click encode.

If done, click multiplex, the new created videostream with burned in subtitle is shown in green, select it and all other streams you want, deselect the original video stream (the blue one) and click multiplex.

This error is becuse i have windows 7 32bits? there is a version win32 pls?

[Attachment 68915 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. You must use a 32 bit (x86) version of ffmpeg.
    Google for it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes is working on HD rezolution, but one question, if the movie have exactly 720p and 1080p rezolution, is necesary to make resize in the box pad width , or shall i leave empty? The subtitle is half on thr blackbox and half on the screen movie, but maybe is from rezolutoion resize on every movie
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can mux ass/srt subtitles with video and audiostreams.
    This way the subtitles on widescreen movies (g.e. 2.35:1) are shown into the lower black bar on TV.
    But you can't hardcode subs this way in widescreen movies, because the black bars aren't part of the movie itself, but are generated by the TV player.
    If you want burn in subtitles on widesscreen movies, you have to encode the black bars too, so g.e. a 1280x544 2.35:1 movie becomes a 1280x720 16:9 movie with 88 pixels black bars on top and bottom.
    One quiestion pls about clever FFmpeg on encoding video
    What option shall i insert to get the same size/quality of video? There are so many options
    I think in preset is the magic
    [Attachment 68945 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. The only quality setting here is the CRF value.
    Lower value, better quality but greater size.
    Recommed values are 18-25.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Mariox View Post
    if the movie have exactly 720p and 1080p rezolution, is necesary to make resize in the box pad width
    If the movie is full screen (all 720 or 1080 pixels in heigth) no padding is possible.

Originally Posted by Mariox View Post
    The subtitle is half on thr blackbox and half on the screen movie, but maybe is from rezolutoion resize on every movie
    This is so because you don't have formatted the ass subtitle right.
    It should be into the lower 92 pixels of the 1280x720 screen.
    Use subtitledit for this.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you use Aegisub for vertical pozition + clever ffmpeg is the best tool on the web
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use clever FFmpeg-GUI to do that in one go.

I`m back with another question
    what is profile : main , and basic? if i chose main or basic whats the difference? or high profile
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Mariox View Post
    I`m back with another question
    what is profile : main , and basic? if i chose main or basic whats the difference? or high profile
    Let the default auto, this way the encoder choose the profile itself.
    The manual selection is needed only, if you want encode to a certain profile for a specific reason.
    Quote Quote