VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Treating some tapes here, there are fungi that only come out of the tape if I leave them in water for about 3 hours.

[Attachment 68828 - Click to enlarge]

At the end I always put a hot air when I'm collecting them back on the reels. I never had problems with it, it's not a strong hot air, it's the kind you use to dry your hair.

[Attachment 68830 - Click to enlarge]

But depending of the material of the tape, could this erase or demagnetize the video signal on it?
    Last edited by Litaiff; 24th Jan 2023 at 12:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Unless the magnetic layer is physically damaged, no, it will not demagnetize it.

I would like to read about proper "baking" procedure. I used to think that it is bunk, because how one can bake a plastic cassette? Turns out, it is not baking, it is drying. So, if someone who does it regularly could share their process: temperature, duration, do you remove tape from cassette, do you keep it on the reel, what machines do you use. I suppose, dryers that pass warm air should be used, instead of electric ovens, which would just melt the cassette. But I've never done it myself, and would be interested to hear.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Unless the magnetic layer is physically damaged, no, it will not demagnetize it.

I would like to read about proper "baking" procedure. I used to think that it is bunk, because how one can bake a plastic cassette? Turns out, it is not baking, it is drying. So, if someone who does it regularly could share their process: temperature, duration, do you remove tape from cassette, do you keep it on the reel, what machines do you use. I suppose, dryers that pass warm air should be used, instead of electric ovens, which would just melt the cassette. But I've never done it myself, and would be interested to hear.

I just use a regular hair dryer, I don't put it on the hottest setting, and I pass it to the rewinder that collects, but the tape is already dry, I just do it to make it even drier.

Sent a video of it.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote